Fla girl in Alaska? Worried about cold!!

PegB87

I'd like to hear from other Floridians (or ppl from similar climates) regarding what it REALLY feels like in early June, Juneau/Skagway area.

I've researched avg temps, etc & read other posts about the weather, but I know what's 'on paper' can be different from what it feels like! For example, I've been places where 36* felt warmer than 50 feels in SWFL! Or someone from 'up north' thinks 60 is warm, but that's chilly to me!

I just want advice for how to pack/dress appropriately to be comfortable. I know layering is essential, but as a native Floridian, I'm afraid I don't have a complete understanding of what/how to layer! :o

Please forgive my ignorance, but that's why I'm asking! :D

Thanks in advance for your help!

Getting ready for 4th Alaskan cruise in May. Other trips were in June/July so hope I'll get it right for May layering too. I take jeans, capri jeans, 3/4 length tees (look at Travelsmith and Chicos for good cotton/spandex blend). Also cotton lined windbreaker with hood, Columbia fleece vest, Travelsmith voyager vest. I might throw in a thinsulate jacket too since May is a little cooler. Pack a shawl or pashmina for evening. Lightweight pair of gloves and fleece headband to keep ears warm on glacier days. Merrill clogs with lightweight socks, rubber sole shoes for boat or hiking excursions. Very low key dressing, everyone is casual in Alaska.

I know what you are talking about. I live in N FL for 23 yrs, but now I live in N IA, and it is by choice.

When I visit my parents, I laugh at the folks down there with fleece jackets zipped up to their chins and I am in shorts and sweating.

That being said, layers works the best. The first time we went to AK it was mid Sept, the last SB cruise of the season. It was chilly and drissly and the first time I have ever seen it rain upside down. Been through hurricanes, seen it rain sideways but never upside down.

As you move south it begins to warm, but still could have some rain.

My suggestion is some insulated underwear for under your jeans or pants.

Fleece jacket

Sweat shirt

Lined rain coat (acts as a windbreaker too)

light gloves

hat - baseball to keep rain hood out of eyes

hat- knit one for around the glaciers.

Glacier viewing will be the coldest, the water is cold and the ice, well ice makes everything cold.

Do not worry about being cold, with layers, you can experiment and find what works best for you. The sights of AK are worth the effort. It is an amazing place and lots to see. The people are friendly and willing to share their way of life.

Thanks to both of you for the replies!

I am REALLY looking forward to this cruise, and would hate to be uncomfortable because I wasn't dressed properly for the weather.

I appreciate the advice!

I'm from the Pacific Northwest, but spend a lot of time in FL. I understand the concerns about cold. You will feel the cold more from a cool breeze than from the actual temperatures. Alaskan cold damp wind is the enemy in the battle against cold. The trick is to keep the cold from getting through your layers. Sweatshirts are not good. They are cotton and will not keep the wind out. A quality unlined rain jacket with a hood and a quality zip front fleece vest or jacket will be a versatile combination that will keep out the cold breezes. LL Bean and other outdoor retailers have primaloft vests and jackets that are extremely lightweight, easily packable and make a wonderful layer under a rain jacket. Another choice is windblock fleece for a jacket and/or vest. You will still need to layer to be warm on deck. I like a scarf - not a decorative one, but one that I can use around my neck to keep the wind off. Right now my favorite is a breathable rain jacket and primaloft jacket or vest underneath. It's very comfortable. The rain jacket folds up tiny as the day warms when I'm out sightseeing.

Also consider a fleece hat - lightweight and better in keeping out the wind. Alaska ports often sell "souvenir fleece" jackets. They may work for you, but will not be the quality you can buy from retailers such as REI or LLBean.

I love the outdoors and being outdoors in all kinds of weather. The right layers are what make it work for me.

Enjoy Alaska!

Ok, I'm getting a clearer picture now! :)

Here's what I have to pack:

-couple pairs bamboo/silk long underwear (tops & bottoms)

-jeans (don't own many other type long pants besides work trousers or yoga pants!)

-1 pr lightweight nylon jogging pants

-several long sleeve cotton/spandex tees & chambray button-ups

-Old Navy full zip fleece jacket (my FL 'winter coat', LOL)

-lightly lined, hooded water-resistant windbreaker

-packable hooded rain jacket

-knit beanie cap (long enough to cover ears) & baseball type hat w brim

-pashmina/scarf/shawl

-light weight gloves

-waterproof trail shoes (& quick dry socks)

Does this seem sufficient?

Should I wear the long underwear tops, or do I just need the bottoms?

Everyone keeps mentioning the vest. Should I get one, or will the fleece jacket work?

I'm sure I'm worrying too much, but I DON'T do well with cold! I've been in snow exactly once in my whole life & HATED it. Everyone said it was because I wasn't dressed right for it, so I want to make sure I'm properly prepared for this amazing trip!

Thank you all for taking the time to help me out!:)

So glad you posted this PegB87. Another Florida girl going to Alaska here. I'm going in early July and I've been wondering how much I'll be affected by the cooler temps too. Good information is being provided by the other posters. Thanks!

And just remember, there are LOTS of stores at every port that have $20 jackets and lots of polar fleece. If you are cold, you can supplement your wardrobe very inexpensively. Gloves and headbands are usually for sale on the ship as well.

... And you have a nice souvenir.

Hi, I'm from Hawaii and spent couple weeks in Juneau in June/July. I was surprised that I was often cold even on sunny days. Wore fleece, jeans and hiking boots entire time (locals were wearing tshirts!). For early June you have a good packing list -including under layers. I don't think you really need a vest (unless you love wearing vests!).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This has helped. I am also coming from South Florida like others, winter clothes are not really something that I have a lot of. We are going in late May - will short sleeve clothes be needed at all? I don't want to pack too much.

Ok, I'm getting a clearer picture now! :)

Here's what I have to pack:

-couple pairs bamboo/silk long underwear (tops & bottoms)

-jeans (don't own many other type long pants besides work trousers or yoga pants!)

-1 pr lightweight nylon jogging pants

-several long sleeve cotton/spandex tees & chambray button-ups

-Old Navy full zip fleece jacket (my FL 'winter coat', LOL)

-lightly lined, hooded water-resistant windbreaker

-packable hooded rain jacket

-knit beanie cap (long enough to cover ears) & baseball type hat w brim

-pashmina/scarf/shawl

-light weight gloves

-waterproof trail shoes (& quick dry socks)

Does this seem sufficient?

Should I wear the long underwear tops, or do I just need the bottoms?

Everyone keeps mentioning the vest. Should I get one, or will the fleece jacket work?

I'm sure I'm worrying too much, but I DON'T do well with cold! I've been in snow exactly once in my whole life & HATED it. Everyone said it was because I wasn't dressed right for it, so I want to make sure I'm properly prepared for this amazing trip!

Thank you all for taking the time to help me out!:)

Good list Peg. Re the vest, I just like the extra layer on my torso without the bulk of a full jacket. If there are Academy or Bass Pro Shops in your area, they usually carry Columbia fleece vests for about $25.

Are any of the posters on HAL Amsterdam May 18?

Peg and others,

I have never worn long underwear, etc in Alaska and this will be my third time going. Yes, layer like everyone says but walking shoes and light jacket (FL winter coat) was enough along with raingear and some gloves maybe for the glacier area.

Alaska is beautiful and I looked at hanging around the glaciers as a nice break from the stifling heat of a FL summer.

Have fun. I am happy to go back in July.

Our cruise is in August so I'm hoping it will be warmer???

I am shopping for layers so I won't be stuck with a heavy winter jacket I'll never use again. On-line stores are in the last of the winter clearance sales so I'm following those, plus Amazon has some good options on rain jackets and fleece jackets.

I like your list, PebG87, it looks like something I could manage.

Thanks to all for your great suggestions!

Lei

Edited by Halehuaka_i