procedure when arriving in Venice?

Ubu

We are arriving in Venice and planning on catching the train to Rome. Does anyone know what is involved with port authorities when disembarking. Thinking the time needed to walk to train is about 1/2 hour. Hoping that 2 1/2 hours will be enough!

We disembarked last July in Venice, and I think we just walked off, found our luggage, walked out of the terminal and that was it...I don't remember there being customs to clear or anything like that...

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We are arriving in Venice and planning on catching the train to Rome. Does anyone know what is involved with port authorities when disembarking. Thinking the time needed to walk to train is about 1/2 hour. Hoping that 2 1/2 hours will be enough!

Ruby Princess had docked the day prior, so we had already been cleared by port authorities etc. when we disembarked last November. We just walked off the ship, collected our luggage and walked over to the People Mover station ( 15 minute walk dragging suitcases?). There was an elevator up to the platform as well as stairs. There was a ticket machine there that required either exact or small change ( can't recall exact amount but around 1 euro each) If there was a change machine, it wasn't working, a few people needed change and had to wait for other passengers to exchange. People Mover came shortly after ( not sure of frequency, you might want to look into that). One or two stops to the Piazzale Roma. Crowded exit but to your left you can see the main train station. There is an arched bridge to cross. There are steps up and down this arch ( awkward with suitcases but doable). There were young men who offered to bring suitcases over the bridge but I was happy to drag my own. Looked like little boats were ferrying people across too, but lineups there so we just forged ahead. Follow the sidewalk to the station on the left and the rest is easy. It is much faster if you can purchase your train tickets from the machines. We went to an agent ( had questions about subsequent train travel days) and there was a huge lineup. Remember to "frank" your tickets before you board your train. We just went as far as Verona first day, but the conductor did check tickets on the train. Your 2.5 hour time frame will allow adequate time in my opinion. Have a wonderful trip!

There are no particular formalities. You may see a customs official by the exit.

The people mover is the way to go. The cost is one euro, accordingly have some coin euros available. One person can buy for all. The ticket machines are a bit of a scrum. You scan the tickets to enter the system. You go to Piazzale Roma (you have very little choice, Tranchetto is not really much to see from what I can tell). Bundle your bags across and then up and across the bridge. If you are not up to it there are porters. The railway station is right there on your left. If the ship is docked close, you could do it in a half hour but you'd be very lucky on connections. I'd allow at least an hour.

In regard to using the People Mover to get to the train station, one should be cognizant that its quite a hike from the P. Roma People Mover station to the train station. It is an easy walk for those that can walk, but might be a bit difficult unless you can easily handle your luggage. In order to get to the train station you do have to cross the Grand Canal on the pedestrian bridge..

Hank