Falmouth, Jamaica..... Anybody been?

DougieFresh1986

Searching for ports of call, here's a description from the Falmouth offering, and the site also mentions Time-N-Place Beach Bar (Falmouth), Jacob Taylor Beach, Good Hope Sugar Plantation House, Dunn River Falls, which makes me thing an excursion to Ochos Rios may be offered.

Cruise to Jamaica to discover the historic charms of this former sugar boomtown. The plantation days of Falmouth, Jamaica, are gone, but what remains is the largest collection of intact colonial Georgian architecture in the Caribbean, set on sand-dusted streets and a wind-swept harbor. On Carnival cruises to Falmouth, Jamaica you can kick back on a crescent of white-sand beach and explore the great houses of old sugar plantations.

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-to/Caribbean/Falmouth.aspx

If you are looking for something active to do we did an ATV ride. It was really good. You rode about 1/2 hour on a bus to Good Hope Plantation. We got to see a lot of the countryside on the way to and from the plantation. It was a really good excursion for us, one of the best we have done.

http://chukka.com/tour/atv-safari/

When we sailed on Freedom of the Seas, I booked the Hilton Rose Resort for a day through Jamaica for a Day and it was great. Not sure what kind of activity you were looking for but it was a relaxing day. It was an all inclusive day pass and we had a lot of fun. Pictures are in my review below.

http://www.ResortForaDay.com/product-p/mbfmjahr.htm

Island Marketing also offers some great excursions and we used them for Cozumel and Grand Cayman and were very reliable.

http://jamaicacruiseexcursions.com/FalmouthExcursions.htm

Karyn

I thought Carnival only went to Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. And Royal only goes to Falmoth.

Carnival Freedom has 3 visits to Falmouth scheduled in October, November, and April. All 3 are 6 day cruises out of Fort Lauderdale.

Carnival Freedom has 3 visits to Falmouth scheduled in October, November, and April. All 3 are 6 day cruises out of Fort Lauderdale.

My son is on the November cruise that visits Falmouth. I might just tell him to save his money, hang around the port, and do some excursions at Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I still think it is a bit odd that Carnival does not have any excursions for a port that they visit.

Hmmm. Carnival has always ported at Ochos Rios or Montego Bay. Falmouth has exclusively been used by Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruise Lines. Carnival may not have any excursions listed yet because they have not gotten tour contracts in place as it is a work in progress. Keep checking, I'm sure once they have some tour operators in place, they'll post them.

Falmouth is still a fairly new cruise ship port. The terminal facilities are excellent and there are a lot of shops, etc within it's confines. The area directly outside the cruise terminal is fairly poor and can be a little intimidating to those who want to walk outside the terminal confines. But it's only a short distance to the downtown area with some history to see.

We are returning in just a few weeks on RCL Navigator of the Seas and have booked the "Falmouth Food Tour" via Jamaica Culinary Tours dot com. On our last visit, we booked the Zip Line adventure through the cruise ship which I believe was the Zip Line at Rose Hall. It was a moderate ride on a bus to get there but we had a blast! Then on the way back to port we stopped at a very nice shopping mall that had some great shops with, what I believe, were some great prices on stuff like Blue Mountain Coffee and local made arts and crafts.

Edited by OKC Cruisers

I thought Carnival only went to Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. And Royal only goes to Falmoth.

Montego bay and Falmouth are about a 30 minute drive from each other. I was in Falmouth 2 weeks ago and we went to Doctors Cave beach which is in MB and had a great time.

We were on the 2nd cruise on Freedom of the Seas that called at Falmouth. They were still working on the pier shop area at the time and only about 1/3 of the shops were in use. It is a great improvement over Montego Bay in my opinion. The people there were so excited to see the ship come in and dock and there were hundreds of the townspeople in the area when we left. The new may have worn off for them by now but it was nice at the time.

We had an aft facing cabin on that one and it was interesting to see them dock as that large ship had to be backed along a very narrow ship channel. That may be why so many people were out watching that day.

In February, were on a RC cruise that went to Falmouth. We originally booked a river tubing excursion on Rio Bueno, but it was cancelled. We thought about going to Dunns Falls again and river tubing on the White RIver, but it is a little over an hour ride to these each way. We chose another tour that went to churches, a school, and a stop along the river where we tasted native fruits and saw some other things. Since Carnival usually does not port at Falmouth, my guess is that the excursions will be posted very close to the cruise. On another carnival cruise we are going on that goes to ports Carnival does not usually go to, JH said those take longer to set up, but there will be excursions. Jamaica is beautiful and it would be a shame not to see it, but this is one country I personally would not feel comfortable taking an independent tour.