Has anyone received a FREE upgrade?

mintsugarcube

Yes, we have gotten free upgrades and not so free upsales in the past. I think it has something to do with how you booked the cruise. There has to be a limited number of Carnival Fairies making these phone calls so it may well be the luck of the draw if your name is spotted and what is still available cabin wise. In the case of the OP, I suspect since you have received these calls many times, you ARE on the list. :eek:

It is always so nice to read about cruisers free upgrades and also the upsale fairy. A lot of people mentioned being Platinum and since we just made Platinum on our last cruise, I'm hoping that is the magic keyword. Not sailing until September so it's going to be awhile before I can start holding my breathe. I wonder if having an adjoining cabin helps -- we don't need it, but someone else just might.

Happy sailing!

Don't hold your breath. We got two upgrades prior to becoming Platinum. That was before they started the upsell fairy.

Since Platinum.....nothing!

We're Diamond with 38 cruises and have never had an upgrade or even upsell call. Have no idea how people get chosen for upgrades. We are going on the Sunshine on Friday. We have a regular balcony booked (8C) and assume we will be in our booked cabin.

We are Plats and I got a call from the "Upsell Fairy" about 4 cruises ago. I said Yes and dutifully gave my credit card info. Since then they have called me on every single cruise, about 3 weeks beforehand and I have said yes each time, including today, and I have forked over the money.

I swear there is some "hot list" or something for Carnival to call for upsells, and we are clearly on it. I wonder if we are "dropped" if we say "no" one time?!!

When I received my very first upsell, I was elated and posted here that I had received an upgrade. Someone then posted that it was the "Upsell Fairy" that called me, not the "Upgrade Fairy."

So, here's my question. Is there REALLY a true upgrade where you pay NOTHING extra (other than maybe taxes)? And if so, any insider tips/thoughts on how it happened to you?

Thanks so much!!

Last cruise 4/7 got a free upgrade from steerage deck 1 to Empress Ocean View steeps from the atrium, it was awesome :D

Last cruise 4/7 got a free upgrade from steerage deck 1 to Empress Ocean View steeps from the atrium, it was awesome :D

HAHAHA, that's what I call the interior rooms, I'm on steerage this cruise. Hmm watching Tittanic lately?

All this talk of upgrades got me to go call my pvp; we sail on Sunday on the first sailing of the Liberty out of port canaveral. I've been checking prices daily for weeks for a price reduction and have not seen a thing and the pvp confirmed it . Our 8E lido deck balcony is sold out and there was no upgrade or even upsell offer.... Happy with my choice and can't wait to sail!!!

Called 3 times to try for a price drop or upgrade, and got told no all 3 times cause I didn't book early saver blah blah blah. Sent an email, no price drop, but free upgrade to balcony!!!

On our first cruise on Victory back in 06 or 07 we received an upgrade from a mid-ship balcony to a Grand Suite when we were embarking. We had no idea and hubby thought we were down graded at first because they moved us from the 8th deck to the 7th. They laughed and told us that they would never downgrade us, only upgrade.

As we were walking to our room, we peeked in all of them to check them out. When we got to our room (we didn't realize it was ours yet) we both said "wow, that is nice". I noticed the number on the door and told him that it was our room :)

He told me to get in quick before they realized that it was a mistake. We had received a bottle of wine from our TA as a thank you...so I knew that it was definitely our room.

We have never received an upgrade or upsell since that time

Don't hold your breath. We got two upgrades prior to becoming Platinum. That was before they started the upsell fairy.

Since Platinum.....nothing!

We never got upgrades before Platinum, but our Liberty free upgrade in January was after we had been Platinum for a year. Another poster said they'd booked through a TA and they had to make the changes, but we had booked with a TA when Carnival called us and made the change for us.

Edited by Terre

My sister and I only had two cruises so far and we got an upgrade on each one. First cruise, Paradise, we just got a better inside stateroom. On our second cruise, Inspiration, we were upgraded to oceanview although we paid for the inside stateroom. We booked both of these cruises a week prior to sailing, maybe that had something to do with the free upgrade :p