Amsterdam Excursions?

Got2Cruise

I have some choices of optional excursions on Avalon.

Yes or No is Zaans Schans worth the visit?

Also we are staying post cruise for two days. Is it feasible to visit Anne Frank house and Van Gough Museum on the same day if I purchase tickets in advance?

If we do that we have the extra day to do something a little further out.

We visited Zaans Schans via public bus and really enjoyed it - but we were in Amsterdam for 4 days post cruise that year. It was about 45 minutes each way via the bus by the train station. 2 days in Amsterdam - not sure if I'd take the time.

Anne Frank and Van Gough should be doable on same day IF you has tickets for Anne Frank. Ticket holders go right in during the time period on ticket - no waiting on line. It was crowded and small but an experience not to be missed - at least in my opinion. We spent about 1 1/2 hours there and that included the bookshop. We also went in the early evening and even the regular line wasn't too long.

Restaurants - we enjoyed the Indonesian Rice Table so much I organized a group from an ocean roll call a year later! And if you like steak there's lots of Argentina steak houses - but have the name of one in particular we enjoyed. Will send the names of both later from my lap top.

And don't miss the Red Light District - fun just to walk through it!!! But keep your camera hidden!!!

Amsterdam restaurant suggestions:

Indrapura Rijsttafels (Rice Table) [about 20 shared small plates]

Indrapura RijsttafelsRice tables » Indrapura

Rembrandtplein 42 - large square full of restaurants, pubs, coffeeshop (head shop)

CAU (Argentinian) CAU Amsterdam - Argentinian beef done our way

(on link go to "find us and book" for Amsterdam info)

Damstraat 5 - very close to Dam Square

Also forgot to mention - a canal trip is fabulous, unless you're doing one with your cruise company. I know it almost sounds silly suggesting a canal ride when you'll be taking a cruise, but it's different and a great way to see the houses and areas of Amsterdam - make sure you take one that goes out into the river - different feeling being so low in the water!!

The Bloemenmarkt (flower market), Waterlooplein flea market, Jordaan area and Magere Brug (Skinny Bridge) are all worth short visits. It's a great city to just walk around - every neighborhood is SO different and interesting!! Also an excellent tram system!!

I'm not a beer drinker, but even I found the Heineken Experience fantastic!

Heineken®

And a final thought - does your cruise go to Kinderdijk??? If it does you'll see wonderful windmills there - so maybe Zaans Schans wouldn't be necessary.

Have a wonderful time there!!! Are you ending in Basel?? Staying there??

Hi Peg! Thanks for all the advice. We start in Basel and end in Amsterdam. I must have wrote the wrong thing. Basel we have no time to visit because of our vacation days, but Avalon does it a little differently, they pick you up in Zurich and bring you to the boat. So, I am hoping for at least a tour of Zurich which is an option.

The cruise line gives you the canal tour of Amsterdam instead of the walking tour. I already have the tickets for Anne Frank House. Now I just have to order online for the Van Gough Museum. Our trip to Paris last year, made us very interested in his life and paintings.

One of the optional tours is the Red Light District at Night. I think we will do that just for the fun of it. You know, safety in numbers.:) Plus we will have our new found friends with us.

Rembrandtplein 42 - large square full of restaurants, pubs, coffeeshop (head shop)

Also forgot to mention - a canal trip is fabulous, unless you're doing one with your cruise company. I know it almost sounds silly suggesting a canal ride when you'll be taking a cruise, but it's different and a great way to see the houses and areas of Amsterdam - make sure you take one that goes out into the river - different feeling being so low in the water!!

The Bloemenmarkt (flower market), Waterlooplein flea market, Jordaan area and Magere Brug (Skinny Bridge) are all worth short visits. It's a great city to just walk around - every neighborhood is SO different and interesting!! Also an excellent tram system!!

Heineken®

And a final thought - does your cruise go to Kinderdijk??? If it does you'll see wonderful windmills there - so maybe Zaans Schans wouldn't be necessary.

Are you aware of this (rather new) regio card for travel in and around Amsterdam? It includes a.o. bus to Zaanse Schans.

http://en.gvb.nl/ovinmamsterdam/Pages/Amsterdam-en-Regio-dagkaart.aspx

Thank you for the advice. I am going to investigate that. Seeing all of the windmills is going to be one of the highlights of this trip.

Heineken®

FotoPeg

Thanks for all your ideas. We will be 3 days in Amsterdam in July, after our river cruise. Any recommendations for a day trip outside of Amsterdam other than Zaans Schans? Is Harlem a good choice?

We will also one day in Basel pre-cruise. Any advice for Basel?

Edited by travlbug
Error

Hi Peg! Thanks for all the advice. We start in Basel and end in Amsterdam.

Got2Cruise

Just curious as to when you are traveling. I see you are cruising with Avalon. We will be cruising with Viking, Basel to Amsterdam, July 11-18. Would be interesting to compare where you stop.

Edited by travlbug
Error

Got2Cruise

Just curious as to when you are traveling. I see you are cruising with Avalon. We will be cruising with Viking, Basel to Amsterdam, July 11-18. Would be interesting to compare where you stop.

Definitely. I'm actually going to figure it out myself and get back to you soon. Btw, I'm now thinking of taking a bike tour in Amsterdam that is offered through the ship. I noticed it on Viator also. So many choices, I'm torn.:D Are ship leaves Basel July 6th.

Edited by Got2Cruise

FotoPeg

Thanks for all your ideas. We will be 3 days in Amsterdam in July, after our river cruise. Any recommendations for a day trip outside of Amsterdam other than Zaans Schans? Is Harlem a good choice?

We will also one day in Basel pre-cruise. Any advice for Basel?

Haarlem is a good choice, but also think about Delft.

Here is my Avalon Itinerary and the stops along the way. It will be interesting to compare to the other lines. I'm happy with what I have, but if you want to jump in an put in your .02, by all means do. lol Especially if you've been to a place you really loved it or hated it.;)

Day 1 - here is where I notice that Avalon is different from the other lines right off the bat. Instead of meeting in Basel, Everyone even those with independent air meet at the Movenpick Airport Hotel in Zurich. From there Avalon will transport you to the ship. There are optional excursions here if you arrive early that morning or you are there pre cruise. Mt. Platius, and a Tour of Zurich. Hopefully we will make the tour of Zurich.

Day 2 - Strasbourgh. Walking Tour. After lunch choice of optional tours to Black Forest; Alcase Wine Country; or Maginot Line

Day 3 - Speyer - Included excursion to Heidleberg Castle. Optional to Speyer Technical Center tour (no thanks, lol, but I'm sure many would find it fascinating)

Day 4 Mainz/Rudesheim In the a.m. we tour Mainz and then during lunch sail to Rudesheim. When you get to Rudesheim you diy I think. Optional dinner excursion in Rudesheim. (of course we're doing it)

Day 5 Rhine Gorge/Koblenz after sailing the Rhine Gorge we arrive in Koblenz with a choice of walking tour or excursion to Sayn Manor House.

Day 6 Cologne - Walking tour or Jewish Walking tour

Day 7 Amsterdam - Included Canal excursion in the a.m.; after lunch choice of optional excursions Zaanse Schans; Anne Frank House; Bicycle Tour to Waterland; Rijksmuseum; Night Canal tour to Red Light District

(I left some details of each town out, but you get the idea)

And, Day 8 and Day 9 we are extending our stay in Amsterdam. Already have the tickets for Anne Frank House for Day 8; and am going to order tickets for the Van Gogh Museum for Day 8; Day 9 we are still deciding. . . .

Edited by Got2Cruise

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Rhine cruise with Tauck from Basel to Amsterdam. Similar itinerary. Our stops were Basel/ Lucerne, Strasbourg/ Baden Baden, Bigan for castle dinner, Speyer/ Heidelberg, Koblenz, Cologne, and Amsterdam. We did go to the tech museum in Speyer. It was okay to spend an hour but is geared towards those fascinated by cars and planes. It's a short walk from there to the center of town and we did enjoy that. Walked around, visited the cathedral, stopped in a Biergarten. Koblenz was nice. Nice city to walk around. Took the cable cars across the river up to the fortress. Cologne was wonderful. The cathedral is amazing. We did a self guided your and were there close to 2 hours. The old town section is very nice. Spent our last day in Amsterdam which was a big change from the other stops. Ts a large city and a bit hectic. Took the canal boat cruise and loved it. Visited Rijksmuseum with a tour guide. Having the guide made a big difference as she was able to get us close to the major works and describe things we would never see on our own. Went to Van Gogh on our own. Very crowded and disappointed that starry Night paintings are not housed here. Spent an extra day in Basel at beginning of trip and enjoyed the old town there.

bmull 67, I have a question about your Tauck tour. We are doing the same tour next may.

1. After the castle dinner did the ship sail at night or did it wait until moving? Did you see the Rhine Gorge during the day so you could see all the castles?

2. After the museum tour in Amsterdam the itinerary says you return to the ship and sail around. What did you actually do/see after lunch on board and when did you finally return to Amsterdam and dock?

Thanks in avance!

After the castle dinner, we returned to the ship around 11 pm. We sailed up the middle Rhine starting the next morning until around 1 pm. They purposely wait to sail since that stretch from Bigan to Koblenz is the most scenic on the river.

We docked in Amsterdam around 8 am and left for the canal boat cruise and museum tour around 9. Bus Returned to ship for lunch for those who wanted to return. They provide a return bus from ship to museum square at 2 and return pickups at 3 and 4 for those who wanted to explore the city. We visited the Van Gogh museum and had lunch in a nearby restaurant and then made our way back on foot.

Edited by bmull67