Cruise documents differ from info given by HAL Seattle

2forTravelin

I'm looking for a little advice. We're leaving in less than a month for a 15 day cruise and I'm trying to finalize my packing. When I checked with HAL in Seattle, I was told that there would be 4 formal and 4 informal evenings with the rest as casual. So I started planning for this. People cruising with us just got their documents and the documents state there will be 3 formal and 2 informal evenings with the rest casual.

This is only our second cruise so I'm not sure now how I should pack. What do you all recommend? Should I pack per HAL Seattle or follow what's stated in the cruise documents?

Thanks for your advice -

cindy

Iwould call HAL Seattle and tell them that your cruise documents say something different from what they say, and they should confirm who is right. If you enjoy dressing formal, then HAL is a nice option to do so. However, if you don't like formal dress, then you don't have to follow HAL's dress code. They are very lenient about the dress code, especially about formal nights.

Enjoy your cruise!

I would rely on the information in your cruise documents. We were told that the people in Seattle have general information regarding this sort of thing. The information in your documents is specific to your sailing. The number of casual, formal or informal nights can vary depending on the decisions made by the current Hotel Manager and Captain. Some are more social than others.

Even if you call Seattle, the rep may not have the specific information you require. We found this to be true on our Circle Hawaii cruise. Our documents were correct.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Linda :)

Which ship will you be on?

Where are you sailing?

If you are sailing in the Mediterraean, there have been a lot of changes over the last couple of weeks (have read poster reviews) where they said that they had less formal and informal nights from their documents said. This was due to the cruise being very port intensive.

The same thing has been happening with some of the Baltic cruises.

We're sailing on the Rotterdam from Rotterdam to Venice. Very port intensive with only 3 sea days. Because a number of the ports have departure times of 6PM (or much later), I couldn't see how there would be a way to get in 8 evenings that would require at least some amount of basic primping. If I'm going to get dressed to the nines, it's nice to have enough time to enjoy the process.

Sounds like I should just go with the cruise documents and not worry about it.

The main reason I've asked about this is that we are planning both pre and post cruise stays so I'm really trying my best to keep the luggage to a minimum.

Thanks for your great replies!

cindy

I was on the Rotterdam in May and found that the info I had about # of formal/informals nights was correct in the docs. I was told something different from Seattle too.Trust me..plan on the following the info from the docs! It will definitely make it easier to pack lighter also! Enjoy your cruise...you'll love the Med!

The reps in Seattle often do not have accurate info as to this sort of thing.

I would be inclined to trust the accuracy of the documents.

We have cruised Rotterdam a number of times, including in the Med. We have always had a wonderful time on that ship.

Hope you do, also. She really is a very beautiful ship that was built as a flagship and World Cruiser and she looks it IMO

Travel Safely and Enjoy!!

I'd definitely go with the document information. Lugging 4 gowns is a real chore and really not necessary, particularly on a port intensive cruise.

Make life easy - one floor length black skirt/floaty chiffon pants, a variety of tops, couple of belts maybe and some jewelery. Few people will remember what you wore the first formal night anyway and you're bound to see something 'to die for' in one of the ports. ;) ;) ;)

Happy Cruising!!!!!!!!

Archived