Luggage storage in Seward????

reeb4

We plan to do things in and around Seward after leaving the ship, until our train to Anchorage that evening. Does anyone know if there is a luggage storage at the Seward port, or anywhere in town?

Thanks.

The train you depart on arrives Seward at 11:05am. It stays there all day until you depart that evening at 6pm. The office opens about 10am or so. You can drop them there if it's not too late in the morning for you.

I've been able to drop my bags at the depot earlier, since they seem to open earlier. However, you will be checking your bags and NOT have further access to them until Anchorage. In the past they used to let me store some small bags on a shelf behind the counter. It is NOT locked up or "secure", but it was stuff I didn't care about and nothing valuable.

• 8 months later...
I've been able to drop my bags at the depot earlier, since they seem to open earlier. However, you will be checking your bags and NOT have further access to them until Anchorage. In the past they used to let me store some small bags on a shelf behind the counter. It is NOT locked up or "secure", but it was stuff I didn't care about and nothing valuable.

How far is it from the ship to the train station if we have bags to check in, in the morning?

How far is it from the ship to the train station if we have bags to check in, in the morning?

Too far to walk with more than one piece of luggage per person. The walk is not far 10 -15 minutes, but the luggage is what makes it too far to walk.

Too far to walk with more than one piece of luggage per person. The walk is not far 10 -15 minutes, but the luggage is what makes it too far to walk.

Thank you. We'll find out the cost of a taxi. We can leave our bags there and then go visit the town.

Is it a small town? Is there enough to see for about 4-5 hours until the train goes?

Thank you. We'll find out the cost of a taxi. We can leave our bags there and then go visit the town.

Is it a small town? Is there enough to see for about 4-5 hours until the train goes?

Seward is VERY small. A taxi anywhere within town will be less than $10.

There is also a free shuttle that runs regularly, every 1/2 hr from the cruise terminal but it doesn't start until 10am. Maybe take a cab into town, then catch the shuttle later ? Here's last yr's schedule with map:

http://www.cityofseward.us/DocumentCenter/View/1436

If you enjoy walking, there is a lovely trail that runs all along the waterfront, from the Harbor to downtown, about a mile. It ends near the SeaLife Center.

The trail provides great views across the Bay to glaciers on the other side, lots of boat traffic to watch, and often you'll see otters playing offshore and bald eagles. The harbor itself is interesting later in the day when the charters return with their catches of the day.

If you look down the page, I posted a link to a video for an aerial view of Seward. It will give you an idea of the size of the town and it's layout.

Many people use this day to take a kenai day cruise out to Aialik Glacier. Look in AryMay's trip report to see photos from her day trip. Her report is within a page or 2. Or you can take a shuttle out to Exit Glacier if you want to hike to the glacier. I think it's $10

The town web site has lots of useful visitor information:

http://www.seward.com/