Wine package

rdcruisin

We were just on the 25 day Grand Asia Crossing on the Sapphire Princess and were disappointed that they did not offer the wine package. You could get the unlimited beverage package at $49 per day, but since we are basically wine drinkers, it was not of interest to us.

We had previously enjoyed the benefits of the wine package, but this time had to buy the bottles with no discount. Seems they could offer both packages and still make money.

We were just on the 25 day Grand Asia Crossing on the Sapphire Princess and were disappointed that they did not offer the wine package. You could get the unlimited beverage package at $49 per day, but since we are basically wine drinkers, it was not of interest to us.

We had previously enjoyed the benefits of the wine package, but this time had to buy the bottles with no discount. Seems they could offer both packages and still make money.

The inconsistency of the wine package availability on 10 day or longer cruises is very frustrating. :eek:

On a month long Med/TA cruise it was unavailable due to "insufficient inventory". :( On a recent month long cruise through South America to LA it was available. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

With the alcohol beverage package of $49 per day that includes 40% off all wines (at least those under $100 a bottle), you will save if you buy more than $130 of wine per day. You can take bottles that you buy back to your cabin to enjoy as well. Of course, you also save on all the other free drinks, sodas, coffee drinks, dessert liquers, water, etc.

With the alcohol beverage package of $49 per day that includes 40% off all wines (at least those under $100 a bottle), you will save if you buy more than $130 of wine per day. You can take bottles that you buy back to your cabin to enjoy as well. Of course, you also save on all the other free drinks, sodas, coffee drinks, dessert liquers, water, etc.

I don't see how you would be saving anything since you still have to pay the other 60% of the cost of the bottle of wine PLUS the unlimited beverage package price.

Seriously??? That's quite a liquor tab when you include the cost of the beverage package!

Surely you can just get glasses of wine with your meals rather than buying a bottle? Then the drinks package could maybe work?

That was definitely a possibility. But with both of us wanting wine, we would have had to buy 2 unlimited beverage packages at $56.25 inc tip per day. On this cruise (25 days) it would have cost us over $2800. That's a heck of a lot of glasses of wine we would need to drink to justify the cost.

Turned out we didn't go dry, but just disappointed they didn't offer the wine package.

On a month long Med/TA cruise it was unavailable due to "insufficient inventory".

So a promotion is so popular Princess cannot have sufficient inventory and thus loses out on many potential sales.

If not enough inventory for the wine package, it also means there is not enough inventory for those who just purchase a bottle of wine every evening.

Gosh, who needs all that alcohol poisoning. One glass of beer per day (afternoon) and perhaps half a bottle of wine with your meal is sufficient alcohol consumption on a cruise each day.

Well that's about what my wife & I have when we cruise anywhere in the world.

I always feel that wine/drink packages, are designed, to make you consume more than what you really need to consume each day.

Its a bit like consuming coffee. I feel that one coffee per day is sufficient caffeine per day. I must point out that the coffee has be prepared by a good barista.

We returned on 4/28 after having a wonderful 15 day cruise on the Grand. We chose the 10 wine package of wines that were priced $29 and under and it worked out great for us. We had figured how much we would have to drink with the drink package and with the ports and days on land it just did not make sense. I did ask someone how many people did buy the all-inclusive and he said 70. I also head someone who had bought it that they really had to start drinking a little more to get their monies worth.

So a promotion is so popular Princess cannot have sufficient inventory and thus loses out on many potential sales.

If not enough inventory for the wine package, it also means there is not enough inventory for those who just purchase a bottle of wine every evening.

I agree & it makes no sense to me either. Our cruise from Europe to FLL had insufficient inventory yet a more isolated cruise around South America had enough inventory. :confused: