Luggage Issues?

jckelly

Has anyone ever had an issue with their luggage being too large? We are a family of 5 with 3 young kids so we are trying to take 2 large suitcases with all of our stuff so that my husband and I can be the only one obligated to pull it around.

I searched Carnival's FAQ and it says "Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds (22.68 Kilograms) and not exceed 16"H x 24"W" but I'm not so sure our luggage will be less than 50lbs. and I'm not so sure with how it's stuffed it will meet the 16" height. It says "encouraged" not required. So I wasn't sure if this would be an issue?!

Mine has never been more than 50 lbs. due to flying in and airline weight restrictions. That being said I have seen some HUGE pieces in the hallways when they deliver them. Had to be more than 50 lbs. Not sure how old your kids are but how about a couple small rolling kids luggage. Maybe you could pack some kids stuff in them and the kids could pull them. My great-nieces have them and handle them just fine. They are 3 & 5. Hubby & I each have a large suitcase and at least one small piece. I give kuddos to you if you can fit enough for 5 into 2 large pieces.

I can't remember which port it was but I had a security officer almost deny me entrance into the port authority building claiming my bag was to big. It was my scuba bag and I had carried it on cruises before. I mean this guy wasn't gonna even let me in the building to get to the carnival screening. I had to argue with him for several minutes before he said "alright go ahead ... you'll be back" I wasn't

The measurements are 16x24x'whatever' it will fit thru the scanners. It does not matter where those measurements are. So you bag can be 16x24x35 but it cannot be 24x24x35.

The weight limit is to protect the luggage handlers' backs.

We also do not like to take a large number of cases so will overload the ones we do have. They are not huge but from time to time they are on the heavy side and when that happens they will put a sticker on the case that says so. We always tip well so never have been told they were too heavy.

I can't remember which port it was but I had a security officer almost deny me entrance into the port authority building claiming my bag was to big. It was my scuba bag and I had carried it on cruises before. I mean this guy wasn't gonna even let me in the building to get to the carnival screening. I had to argue with him for several minutes before he said "alright go ahead ... you'll be back" I wasn't

Was this NYC by any chance? I had an issue with a woman who worked for the port - not anyone from Carnival. She kept insisting the bag (one I was carrying on) was too big. She was really annoying. She followed me all the way up to the scanner. They had the allowed size written in big black letters on bright yellow signs. I had measured it before I left, and I had a tape measure with me. I offered to measure it. She kept yammering at me.

When I got to the scanner and it fit through with plenty of room to spare, I turned around to tell her "told you so" but she had magically vanished into thin air :)

We had two very large oversized bags on the Breeze last week. It wasn't an issue at all. However, after buying souvenirs and not packing as neatly on the return trip as we did getting there, it was very difficult to zip them at the end of the cruise.

One bag came out on the conveyor belt completely open, dirty clothes hanging out of it. :eek: We used our trusty duct tape to get it under control, and called a porter over to help us.

Like I said, I'm sure they were each over 50 lbs, and the porter didn't like it one bit. He DID help us, but he complained the whole time. His actual words to the person standing next to us, "This woman is trying to kill me!".

Worth noting - the oversized bags fit just fine under the bed. I was worried about that - I know regular sized luggage fits and was worried about having to crawl over big luggage all week, but no problems with that.

Has anyone ever had an issue with their luggage being too large? We are a family of 5 with 3 young kids so we are trying to take 2 large suitcases with all of our stuff so that my husband and I can be the only one obligated to pull it around.

I searched Carnival's FAQ and it says "Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds (22.68 Kilograms) and not exceed 16"H x 24"W" but I'm not so sure our luggage will be less than 50lbs. and I'm not so sure with how it's stuffed it will meet the 16" height. It says "encouraged" not required. So I wasn't sure if this would be an issue?!

Are you flying or driving from Raleigh? If flying you do not want to go over 50lbs unless you wish to pay a small fortune. If driving then just divide it up. You drop it off right at the porters and then park, and do the reverse coming back. No need to worry.