Livorno - Getting to Lucca

Sumdumgi

Just booked for the Ventura Cruise on 21 May. We have been to Florence 4 times and Pisa twice so we had hoped to get to Lucca. On the Cruise Personaliser the only trip available to Lucca is a cycling tour which is a no-go for us. Previously I had seen shore trips to Lucca but it seems there are none. Is Lucca doable under your own steam ?

Just booked for the Ventura Cruise on 21 May. We have been to Florence 4 times and Pisa twice so we had hoped to get to Lucca. On the Cruise Personaliser the only trip available to Lucca is a cycling tour which is a no-go for us. Previously I had seen shore trips to Lucca but it seems there are none. Is Lucca doable under your own steam ?

Hi

Yes it is, we did it two years back. We took a Taxi from the ship to the station (otherwise you would need to take the shuttle into town and then a bus to the station - Toms Port Guide gives great info on getting to the station: http://www.tomsportguides.com/Livorno-09-25-2013.pdf). Train journey was about 40 mins. The station in Lucca is about 5 mins from the entrance to the walled town. Its a lovely place to wander and take lunch.

Beware of one thing. Our taxi driver in poor English said something about no trains that day. We thought he just wanted the fare all the way to Lucca. However in the station there was sign advising of a train strike that afternoon. We asked at the ticket office and they told us which was the last train back before the strike so we were fine.

For anyone that hasnt done Pisa, the trains to Lucca stop at Pisa so it is feasible to do Pisa and Lucca in a day.

Edited by kevinyork

We've also done this.

We did it the shuttle & public bus way to the train station. Carnival/RCI/Celebrity charge for shuttles but surprisingly P&O's latest info states it's still free to all passengers in Livorno inc. those on saver fares. Buy bus tickets from the small newsagent kiosk near the shuttle bus drop off point. It's only a block away to the #1 bus stop. Make sure you remember to validate your ticket on board.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this info. One thing. Do you have to take a shuttle from the ship to the port gates. I heard that you cannot walk from the ship to get a taxi? Are the taxi drivers willing to take you just to the station in Livorno?

Thanks for this info. One thing. Do you have to take a shuttle from the ship to the port gates. I heard that you cannot walk from the ship to get a taxi? Are the taxi drivers willing to take you just to the station in Livorno?

There's no shuttle to the port gates and you're not usually allowed to walk (nor would you want to at the distance away from the port gates that the larger ships berth at).

The shuttle service offered is from the ship to the center of Livorno.

I believe taxis wait for fares alongside (or very near) the ship.