Why does RCL leave San Juan, PR at 2:00?

On the Grandeur in December we arrived in SJ at 8:00 ... and there was a 12:30 All Aboard advertised since we were to leave at 1:00. The captain said the early departure was due to the distance involved in getting to Labadee by 8:00 the next morning.

Since we planned a walking tour and shopping, we got off the ship shortly after docking to maximize our experience ... only to discover that the shops don't open till 10:00.

In the end, we didn't leave until nearly 2:00 because the ship's tours to the rain forest couldn't get back through the traffic on time. Moral: if you take a tour at this stop, don't risk a private company.

You have to be really careful. Depending on yhe day of the week traffic can be really really bad, soecially if it rains. You also have to allow time to return thw rental car. I'm from Puerto Rico, and I live 10 minutes south of San Juan, and if it is not on a weekend I would never risk leaving El Yunque at noon to be in San Juan ar 1:30. Under normal conditions, the trip is about 50 minutes (many traffic lights after the highway). So my humble advise is that if you are driving there, leave El Yunque at least 11:30.

Thanks for posting.

I googled the route with no tolls (avoiding Hwy 66) and Google said 57 minutes with no traffic. To allow for traffic we better leave by 11:30.

Looks like we're only going to end up with about 3 hours there.

Thanks again,

IC

There is plenty of space at the down town piers. I think RCI just wants to sail at slower speeds over to Labadee. It is a lousy time to leave as San Juan is very deserving of a full day stop.

it is too bad as it is a much better port we think, than others on that itinerary.

If they did that, you wouldn't be getting lunch there a lunch time

Indy always arrives at 10:00 and they get lunch.

When Explorer departs SJ at 2:00 pm she arrives in Labadee at 9:00 am.

When Indy departs SJ at 2:00 pm she arrives in Labadee at 10:00 am.

Even if they gave Explorer an extra hour in SJ that would help. Depart PR at 3:00 and arrive in Labadee at 10:00.

I asked this earlier in the thread, but why would Indy be slower than Explorer?

As someone stated above, it all comes down to $$$$$. Port charges and fees aside, it is all about fuel consumption and, as we all know when we fill up the car, it's not cheap. Imagine a ship.:eek:

Prevailing winds and sea conditions affect a ship's speed at a given power output. The difference in fuel cost between doing 21 knots and 21.5 knots is substantial! Obviously, none of these ships are "speed demons" but, regardless, when they have to push up the speed the fuel consumption goes up way more than one might think. Do not assume that 5% more speed = 5% more fuel consumption. It is more like 15% or more. It's power versus drag, and the faster you go the more drag there is, and the more power you need. It is not linear.

Thus, and to keep the numbers small and simple: If the ship uses 10 gallons per hour to go 10 knots, it will probably use 30 gallons per hour or more to do 20 knots. At 20.5 knots you'll be up to 32 gallons per hour or more. Push her to her max, say of 23 knots and you'll be at 40 gallons per hour!

Obviously, miles per gallon do not apply to ships of almost any size, it is more like "feet per gallon". The former QE2 at a cruise speed of 28.5 knots got around 5 feet per gallon!

I personally wish they would skip PR. The last cruise we were there from 7:00AM to 1:00PM. Difficult with this short time in port to get to far away from San Juan.

I would rather stop somewhere else....anywhere else.

Nancy

I think the early departure is just because of re-fueling. Fuel is probably cheaper in San Juan. I think most ships do the same thing; fuel up and then leave!

If SJ is the first stop, they try to get in as early as possible since it takes awhile to refuel the ship for the rest of the sailing. There really is no where else they can refuel but SJ if they leave out of Bayonne. RCCL, like other cruise lines, has contracts in place in SJ for the refueling to start as soon as the ship is secured to the dock.

If you are on the side where the refueling is taking place, no smoking is allowed and the smell is very strong and strong enough to keep you off your balcony. Most people are off the ship if even only to walk around the dock area.

MARAPRINCE