REVIEW: Carnival Liberty - Western Caribbean - 4/5/14 thru 4/12/14

This is our first cruise on a Carnival ship with the 2.0 upgrades. With those upgrades are the Blue Iguana Tequila Bar and the Red Frog Rum Bar. There is also a whole new set of ceramic souvenir cups and also a special Carnival Tervis Tumbler for each of the bars, which will have a logo of each bar on the front. These are only located at the Blue Iguana Tequila Bar and Red Frog Rum Bar and are between $14.00 and $15.00 each, again, I forgot the exact price. If these are something that you'd really like to have, I highly recommend getting them on the first day of the cruise. The Red Frog Rum Bar had them in stock all week (you can see them at the bar) but the Blue Iguana Tequila Bar ran out after the first day and I didn't get one then. I was told they might get them in and they might not. They didn't know what supplies would come in or when and I was told that sometimes once they run out, they run out and don't get restocked until the morning of the next sailing. I finally got mine when we were up on Lido Deck 9 not long before our 8:15PM late seating dinner and we saw that they had them and luckily I was able to get one.

The Blue Iguana and Red Frog Tervis Tumblers:

IMG_7311.jpg

The ceramic mugs come in three or four different types (and color) of Tiki Glasses and there are two different kinds of Parrot Glasses, each kind will come in a variety of colors. I got one of the Tiki Glasses and one of the Parrot Glasses, each with a drink, but I forget the cost. It was probably anywhere between $12.00 and $15.00. These are available at the Blue Iguana Tequila Bar and the Red Frog Rum Bar, both on Lido Deck 9.

These are the two that I got. The one on the left is one of the Tiki's (I called it the Cyclops Tiki) and the other is one of the Parrots (the shorter one) but I loved the color on him. This style also comes in orange but I can't remember if it came in other colors or not. The other parrot came in green, red, and yellow (maybe blue and orange too, but I forget):

IMG_7314.jpg

I tried getting a picture of the other ceramic cups available at the Red Frog Rum Bar. They are in the cabinets with glass doors behind the bar:

IMG_1215-1.jpg

And last, but not least, copies of drink menus for the Red Frog Rum Bar and the Blue Iguana Tequila Bar and prices.

Red Frog Rum Bar drink menu (side 1):

scan0126.jpg

Red Frog Rum Bar drink menu (side 2):

scan0127.jpg

Blue Iguana Tequila Bar (side 1):

scan0128.jpg

Blue Iguana Tequila Bar (side 2):

scan0129.jpg

I think this finally wraps up my review of our cruise on Carnival Liberty. I just want to thank all of you again for following along and for the nice comments. It really makes doing the review worth it (besides the fact that I can relive our cruise by doing it) and you guys kept me on track to get it finished. There was no way I was going to just let this one go and leave you hanging but life does get in the way and we all get busy with one thing or another, usually at inconvenient times, but I did make a promise to finish when I promise something, I follow through. This took a little longer than the last one I did, so I really appreciate your patience.

If any of you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll be more than happy to answer what I can and if not, I'm sure someone will help out.

pghsteelerfan,

I have problems with motion sickness that seem similar to yours. I have had great success with the combination of ginger root and Meclizine. It seems make me less tired then the "Less Drowsy" Dramamine, which I think is worse then the regular. . . I'm actually able to take it on sea days in the morning and function just fine.

Hope this helps and thanks for a great review. It had many of the interior pictures that I was looking for.

Hi CoasterJoe!

Sorry to hear you have the same problems with motion sickness but from what I saw from this past cruise, we're definitely not the only ones. Thank you for letting me know about the Meclizine...I wrote that down and also added it to my "cruise checklist" I have in an Excel spreadsheet so I'll be sure to remember to get some.

Thank you for following along and glad you enjoyed it. So happy I included some of the pictures you were looking for. We LOVED Liberty and I personally think she's Carnival ship with the best décor we've been on. I'm partial to all of the ships we've been on but Liberty wins the prize in décor. Just wait until you get on her for the first time and see the atrium. I was in awe. :) I saw the itinerary you'll be doing soon and really think that's a great itinerary in addition to an extra day. I hope you have a great cruise and that you enjoy Liberty as much as we did.

After getting pictures of what we were referring to at this time as the “MSC Ship”, I went through the items I bought while in the ports to get them ready to pack. I wanted to make sure anything breakable was securely wrapped and that I had everything. I did try to keep it all in one bag. I got other things organized and together and when I went to pack the little photo album of Carnival Liberty that I bought the previous day, I remembered that I STILL needed pictures of the Garden Atrium from Lobby Deck 3. DH also mentioned he wanted to go to the “Fun Shops” to see if they had any more T-shirts in. He found one he liked the previous day but they didn’t have his size but he was told they may be getting more in later. It was almost 3:00PM by now, so I checked the “Fun Times” to see if there was trivia scheduled in “Atrium 3” (how it’s listed in the “Fun Times” under the “Have a Great Time” section. I went down to Lobby Deck 3 and this time, I was able to get pictures. I spent several minutes getting pictures of the Garden Atrium then went back up to Promenade Deck 5 and met DH outside the “Fun Shops”. They did not have his T-shirt and he said there weren’t many left.

And FINALLY...here they are, pictures of the Garden Atrium from Lobby Deck 3:

IMG_1249-1.jpg

IMG_1250-1.jpg

IMG_1251-1.jpg

IMG_1252-1.jpg

IMG_1253-1.jpg

IMG_1254-1.jpg

Hey here is a tip for ya for your next cruise. If you find something you like in the Fun Shops ask the staff who are working in there if they can put away your size and you will return later to pick them up.

That is what we did on the Carnival Dream in April and we came home with 6 shirts for my dad and 5 shirts for me from the Fun Shops.

We tipped the girl $20.00 the last night of the cruise for pulling those shirts for us throughout the cruise

Hey here is a tip for ya for your next cruise. If you find something you like in the Fun Shops ask the staff who are working in there if they can put away your size and you will return later to pick them up.

That is what we did on the Carnival Dream in April and we came home with 6 shirts for my dad and 5 shirts for me from the Fun Shops.

We tipped the girl $20.00 the last night of the cruise for pulling those shirts for us throughout the cruise

Hi Brianna,

Thanks for the tip! I had no idea they'd do that for you but I guess if we'd have asked we'd have found out sooner and DH would have had a T-shirt. Well, truth is...we didn't know they'd do it. :) Thank you for letting me know about that. The guy who was working there was VERY nice and I'm sure he'd have done that for us if we'd have asked. We always tip those who go the extra way - they all work so hard and really deserve it.

• 2 weeks later...
Looking forward to the rest of yinz review ,I am a Steeler fan also,Lived in PA .,but in South Carolina now.We are Carnival loyal cruisers and going on the Liberty in September ,so will be reading your review intently.

When are you going in September? I am a Steelers fan also and live in Tampa now and we are looking at a Liberty cruise in September also.

• 2 weeks later...
Great review! We are on Liberty in August. Can't wait!! :)

Thank you for reading and glad you enjoyed it. We loved Liberty, beautiful ship. Which itinerary are you doing? I know Liberty has several different itineraries now than just the Western and Eastern Caribbean. I hope you have a wonderful time and great weather. :)

Thank you for reading and glad you enjoyed it. We loved Liberty, beautiful ship. Which itinerary are you doing? I know Liberty has several different itineraries now than just the Western and Eastern Caribbean. I hope you have a wonderful time and great weather. :)

We are doing an 8 day with the Eastern itinerary. We are going to Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Marten and St. Thomas. My aunt, cousin and I are taking a ferry over to Tortola from St. Thomas. Everyone else is hanging out in St. Thomas.

We are doing an 8 day with the Eastern itinerary. We are going to Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Marten and St. Thomas. My aunt, cousin and I are taking a ferry over to Tortola from St. Thomas. Everyone else is hanging out in St. Thomas.

That's one of the newer itineraries that I'd just love. We've been to all of the islands and they are some of my favorites. I'd really love to get to Tortola sometime because from pictures I've seen, it's beautiful. I hope you have a great time and enjoy all the islands.

I just wanted to come back and say how much I thoroughly enjoyed your review. Thank you for sharing your vacation with us

Hi Brianna!

Thank you and so I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm spending more time on CC today than I should be since I've got a lot to do around here, but I have "cruise fever" again. We were just on one in April but I find myself craving another already. LOL!!! I have really enjoyed all of your reviews and really looking forward to your Pride review and most of all, I hope you and your mom and dad all have a great time on her. It should be very nice sailing out of the Chesapeake that time of year.

Hi Brianna!

Thank you and so I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm spending more time on CC today than I should be since I've got a lot to do around here, but I have "cruise fever" again. We were just on one in April but I find myself craving another already. LOL!!! I have really enjoyed all of your reviews and really looking forward to your Pride review and most of all, I hope you and your mom and dad all have a great time on her. It should be very nice sailing out of the Chesapeake that time of year.

Haha....Cruise Critic is keeping me occupied at work today :p I am sure that I will have a great time on the Pride with my Mom and Dad. I can't wait to be back in Half Moon Cay again. My dad is super excited to cruise down the Chesapeake Bay during the daylight hours when you can still see things. You think we will see Naval carriers and things like that??

Haha....Cruise Critic is keeping me occupied at work today :p I am sure that I will have a great time on the Pride with my Mom and Dad. I can't wait to be back in Half Moon Cay again. My dad is super excited to cruise down the Chesapeake Bay during the daylight hours when you can still see things. You think we will see Naval carriers and things like that??

I haven't been to Baltimore since 1998 and that was only to the airport but I know that when you sail out, you should be able to see Fort McHenry right away. If you ever saw the movie "Ladder 49", the building that they used for the big fire can also seen. PaulMedik has a picture of it in his Pride Spring Break review. I think both of those are right in the immediate area where the cruise center is. There are also two bridges, the first being the Francis Scott Key Bridge where I695 goes over the bay and then the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, which carries Rt. 50 over the bay to the Eastern Shore (Delmarva - DE, MD, VA) peninsula and the beaches. Apparently that one is kind of like sailing from Tampa and going under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge. I know the land along the Chesapeake Bay is cliffs in that area but once you get further down, there might not be much to see. The land in that area is fairly flat. As for Naval carriers, once you're down around Norfolk, VA, you may be able to see some. There is a Cheasapeake Bay Bridge/tunnel down near Norfolk/Hampton Roads, VA, which I believe is about 20 miles long with two mile long tunnels, but I'm not sure which of the tunnels the Pride will be sailing over. If it's daylight here and if your sailing fairly close to land, look to the starboard side. We've seen them from I64 every time we go to NC's Outer Banks. Of course there could always be some coming into the bay. You may also be able to see some around Baltimore, but I'm not sure about that. What would be really neat is if NASA's Wallops flight facility sends up a rocket (usually supply rockets that go to the space station) the night you sail out or returning. We've actually seen a couple from our house, even though it's a good distance away. I don't know if they have any scheduled that night (sometimes early morning hours) or not. They are on a popular social networking site and you could "like" Wallops where you can get launch schedules. I hope this helps. :)

Holly

That's one of the newer itineraries that I'd just love. We've been to all of the islands and they are some of my favorites. I'd really love to get to Tortola sometime because from pictures I've seen, it's beautiful. I hope you have a great time and enjoy all the islands.

Thank you! I'm sure we will all have a great time! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Beautiful sunrise pictures on this page! all your pictures are really good.

Thanks for putting so much detail into this review.

Thank you! We really lucked out with the sunsets/sunrise this time. This was our 6th cruise and these were, by far, the best we've seen while on a cruise. The only other that came close was on Glory out of Miami the morning we were sailing into HMC. I hope you have a wonderful time on your upcoming Liberty cruise. Thank you for reading. :)

Edited by pghsteelerfan

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for taking the time to so such a thorough review! Loved the pictures and the details you included. I have fond memories of the Liberty and it was nice to relive experiencing her.

Looking forward to another review from you! :D

Thank you and I'm glad you enjoyed reading it and liked the pictures. It was a great time and we loved Liberty. I'm just getting ready to finish reading your review, believe it or not...we've been enjoying each others' reviews. :) I started reading and almost made it to Curacao before I went to PA for a week to visit family/friends. I've been pretty busy since I got back but am getting caught up & I'm getting ready to start your last Sea Day. I'm really enjoying your review too and love your pictures. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who loves getting pictures of the whale tail. LOL!!!

I'm sure hoping to do another review soon - that would mean another cruise! :D Just don't know when it will be. Likewise, hoping your do another review of your next cruise.