Options for family of 5 from Sydney airport to OPT

Hi, I will be flying into Sydney domestic airport in the morning about 8:30am on a Saturday in December for my 10 day cruise to the south pacific. What are my options and costs from the airport to the terminal? We are 2 adults and 3 kids (10,8,3yo) with lugguages. When I was by myself for work and conference, i just caught the train. However, it will be a bit difficult with kids and lugguages. Please give me some advice.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Hi, I will be flying into Sydney domestic airport in the morning about 8:30am on a Saturday in December for my 10 day cruise to the south pacific. What are my options and costs from the airport to the terminal? We are 2 adults and 3 kids (10,8,3yo) with lugguages. When I was by myself for work and conference, i just caught the train. However, it will be a bit difficult with kids and lugguages. Please give me some advice.

Though you don't state which cruise line nor which port you will be leaving from (OPT or White Bay) the cruise line probably offers an airport shuttle for their oncoming passengers. Worth checking out as with 5 lots of luggage you wouldn't fit into a taxi nor would it be too much fun juggling all that luggage on the train!

Other families may have better options for you.

EDIT - I see from your former posts that you are sailing on the Carnival Legend. Check with Carnival for further information regarding shuttle transfers. Also you would gain more information from the Roll Call set up for your cruise. Go to the Top Information Bar and click on Roll Call Tool which should make it easier for you to search for your cruise by cruise line, ship & date. Others there will be a source of information.

Also type into the top right hand search box for reviews of the Carnival Legend where you'll be able to read of others experience on this ship/cruise.

All the best!

Edited by gaechann

I agree with Gae that a Port Transfer arranged by the Cruise Line is probably the most economical. We used one once as arranged by Princess and it seemed to work fine.

Alternatively you could pre hire a vehicle and driver. I nowadays hire a car (Limo) which picks us up at the airport and delivers us in style to the port for about the same cost ($50) as a cab. :D

That's ok for 2-3 people, but for 5 you would need a larger vehicle. The mob I use can provide a chauffeur driven Mercedes people mover which would well accommodate 5 people and their luggage. The cost is 50% more = $75.

Perhaps you may care to look at:

http://www.towncars.com

cheers

Alternatively just jump in the taxi queue and request a maxi taxi - it would normally only take a few mins more at most as they will just call one through for you - we've done this several times with no probs!

Jane

Thank Gaechann and Flipper 133, I have a quick look at Carnival website, there is no mention of shuttle, I will ring them to find out. Anyone else have experience with Carnival's shuttle.

Also send Towncars an email for a quote. Their price sounds very reasonable for a private pick up.

CassCruise, good to know you have queued for maxi taxi and it was not a long wait. It was my worry we may have to stand in queue for a long time. This may be the way to go if Carnival doesn't offer shuttle.

Thanks. It is still 6 months away, and I am very excited...

Thank Gaechann and Flipper 133, I have a quick look at Carnival website, there is no mention of shuttle, I will ring them to find out. Anyone else have experience with Carnival's shuttle.

Also send Towncars an email for a quote. Their price sounds very reasonable for a private pick up.

CassCruise, good to know you have queued for maxi taxi and it was not a long wait. It was my worry we may have to stand in queue for a long time. This may be the way to go if Carnival doesn't offer shuttle.

Thanks. It is still 6 months away, and I am very excited...

I think the most expensive option would be the cruise shuttle where you would be paying per person. You would be able to get a luxurious stretch limo for what you would pay for the shuttle. My suggestion - either maxi taxi or book through Town Cars who have a good reputation.

We haven't ever encountered a queue for taxis at Sydney airport. Either there is no-one ahead of us or maybe one couple only, meaning a wait of no longer than a couple of minutes (literally) for a normal size taxi. There would be a longer wait for a maxi taxi. I can't imagine that you would have a long wait. The longest wait we ever had was when we booked a car through KST and waited about an hour! Never again.

Have to agree with Aus Traveller and a warning to others about not using KST. They are aggressive and employ touting tactics which is illegal in Australia. There have been many bad reports on cc regarding this company.

Hi I thought I will let you know some of the quotes and prices as of May 2014 I found out.

Towncars quoted $145 with minibus (booster seat for my 3 yo not included in the quote)

Hughes limousine service quoted $121 with Merc Viano (extra $22 for booster seat)

Carnival shuttle service $20pp.

Maxi taxi estimated $60-70, based on a 50% surcharge added on standard taxi fare.

Thanks everyone who assure me the queue for maxi taxi won't be too long, and will be more reliable and economical than prepaid/ prebooked shutttle.

Happy there is one less thing to book.

Hello aleminggkk, our family of 4 caught the train and found it super easy and good on the wallet. December 2013 the fare was $15.90 per adult and you only pay for 1 child $11.40 and all other kids are free! My girls 10 & 13 both had the little wheelie bags and we used the lifts available at the train station & airport. It was very easy but then my girls are a bit older. We all enjoyed the short train trip from airport to circular quay and the look on their faces when they saw the Carnival spirit cruise ship was priceless :eek: And then a very short walk from the station to the ship ;)

Hello aleminggkk, our family of 4 caught the train and found it super easy and good on the wallet. December 2013 the fare was $15.90 per adult and you only pay for 1 child $11.40 and all other kids are free! My girls 10 & 13 both had the little wheelie bags and we used the lifts available at the train station & airport. It was very easy but then my girls are a bit older. We all enjoyed the short train trip from airport to circular quay and the look on their faces when they saw the Carnival spirit cruise ship was priceless :eek: And then a very short walk from the station to the ship ;)

The train is extremely easy if going to the OPT as mentioned above. If you want to save yourself ordering a Maxi or a town car to drive you, then I think the train is the best bet.:D

Hi I thought I will let you know some of the quotes and prices as of May 2014 I found out.

Towncars quoted $145 with minibus (booster seat for my 3 yo not included in the quote)

Hmm... don't know where you got that quote from.

On line quote for Mercedes Van from Airport to Circular Quay is $88 +$15 for a child seat booster. Includes all tolls etc.

I believe there are two operators in Sydney using the Towncars name

I use http://www.towncars.com

Anyway...a maxi taxi will do the job...just don't expect to be able to have a conversation in English with the driver. :(

cheers

I would still go with the Carnival shuttle. They meet you at a pre designated place at the airport and once you get to the OPT they whisk your bags away and they will magically appear in your cabin later on. No need to queue at the baggage drop off first. Stress free. I have also seen very long queues at the airport taxi ranks, and just bear in mind you will have to wait until one of them is a maxi taxi. :cool: