family stateroom

sho

Are there any staterooms which accommodate 2 adults and 2 children?

I tried to book online but all staterooms, even the suites, seem to accept a maximum of 3 guests only. As a family we would like to stay in one cabin, rather than split into two separate cabins.

Do children (age 5 and 10) have to dress up for formal nights?

Are adjoining cabins a possibility for the four of you? You would have to book them as one parent and one child in each, but how you actually use them will be up to you.

Cunard's Dress Code FAQ says this:

Children under 18 do not have a dress code but should dress as smart as possible in relation to the above [dress code].

According to the (very useful) website "ask cunard" ( i.e. Cunard FAQ) some cabins can accomodate four people : some with a double sofa bed, others with two upper berths. I don't kow why you can't book for four people online (probably a bug) but maybe, it will be better to call cunard directly. If you want to see how a four berths cabin looks like, you can type on google "deck 6 tour queen mary2 by Owen" and you'll find a youtube video : skip the three first minutes (you won't loose anything!) and then, you'll have a family cabin tour.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Forums

There are a few large inside rooms but only on Queen Elizabeth, that will be very comfortable for 2 adults and 2 children. Double (or twin) bed with one upper and lower birth, that can remain as that during the day. I think you will find that these get booked early in school holiday time.

The insides for 4 on QM2 could be challenging if for a long cruise, and nothing on the QV unless you are connected via the balcony which is not a good idea with small children.

Are there any staterooms which accommodate 2 adults and 2 children?

I tried to book online but all staterooms, even the suites, seem to accept a maximum of 3 guests only. As a family we would like to stay in one cabin, rather than split into two separate cabins.

Do children (age 5 and 10) have to dress up for formal nights?

If you are booking close to sailing perhaps all QUAD cabins are already sold out or the total number of guests is reaching the lifeboat limit for those QUAD cabins.

I am trying to book for a Med cruise for June 2015 sailing from Venice for 7 nights.

More than one year in advance, I was surprised that the only stateroom on offer on the website is an Inside cabin.

As a family I would not like to stay in 2 separate rooms.

Interestingly when I typed in "2 adults" on the website online booking, all types of staterooms including suites were available.

Perhaps Cunard is not really family-friendly after all.

Wow, you're right, only inside cabins on Queen Victoria for 4 people. I'm a travel agent so I can see the whole inventory. That is disappointing. I have 2 kids and we've never had an issue booking balcony cabins for the 4 of us with over a year to go on the other cruise lines. The QM2 has some quads for in hull balconies and the lifeboat obstructed balconies (which I would never book) but none in the higher balconies. Yes, not very family friendly at all.

I am trying to book for a Med cruise for June 2015 sailing from Venice for 7 nights.

More than one year in advance, I was surprised that the only stateroom on offer on the website is an Inside cabin.

As a family I would not like to stay in 2 separate rooms.

Interestingly when I typed in "2 adults" on the website online booking, all types of staterooms including suites were available.

Perhaps Cunard is not really family-friendly after all.

Hi sho. If understand correctly, you are asking for one cabin that accommodates more than two people (you didn't say how many people, but I'm assuming it's 3 or more), and you don't want an inside cabin, or a Grill suite. May I suggest that you phone Cunard directly and ask if the accommodations you want are available? Please let us know how it works out for you and your family. Best wishes, -S.

Edited by Salacia

Wow, you're right, only inside cabins on Queen Victoria for 4 people. I'm a travel agent so I can see the whole inventory. That is disappointing. I have 2 kids and we've never had an issue booking balcony cabins for the 4 of us with over a year to go on the other cruise lines. The QM2 has some quads for in hull balconies and the lifeboat obstructed balconies (which I would never book) but none in the higher balconies. Yes, not very family friendly at all.

Hi Phamer. I'm not a travel agent, so I'm not seeing what you're seeing. But I did notice that you have completed 35 cruises, and that is very impressive indeed. Did I read correctly that you have not yet sailed on a Cuanard ship? Certainly, I must be mistaken because you are an experienced travel agent - and as such, unlikely to who proclaim a

cruise line to be "not very family friendly at all" without actual experience of the ship combined with what you read on booking screens.

My experience of Cunard ships is limited to 12 QM2 voyages. And from my personal observation, I have seen multigenerational families on board, and they are a part of the mosaic that makes up the passenger list.

Best wishes for your July Cunard voyage .

Regards

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Hi Phamer. I'm not a travel agent, so I'm not seeing what you're seeing. But I did notice that you have completed 35 cruises, and that is very impressive indeed. Did I read correctly that you have not yet sailed on a Cuanard ship? Certainly, I must be mistaken because you are an experienced travel agent - and as such, unlikely to who proclaim a

cruise line to be "not very family friendly at all" without actual experience of the ship combined with what you read on booking screens.

My experience of Cunard ships is limited to 12 QM2 voyages. And from my personal observation, I have seen multigenerational families on board, and they are a part of the mosaic that makes up the passenger list.

Best wishes for your July Cunard voyage .

Regards

Salacia

Yes, I have cruised Cunard, on the QM2 in 2012. Had a wonderful time, as did my children. I booked a balcony on deck 5 for my wife and an inside across the hall for the kids. Worked great for us. However, now that this thread has been brought up, it does appear that there are very limited choices for families on Cunard as far as triple and quad cabins. The Queen Victoria appears to be especially poor, would you not agree?

Yes, I have cruised Cunard, on the QM2 in 2012. Had a wonderful time, as did my children. I booked a balcony on deck 5 for my wife and an inside across the hall for the kids. Worked great for us. However, now that this thread has been brought up, it does appear that there are very limited choices for families on Cunard as far as triple and quad cabins. The Queen Victoria appears to be especially poor, would you not agree?

Hi Phamer. My agology; I didn't know that you had sailed on QM2 previously (it doesn't appear on your list of " 35 completed cruises). I don't think I'd be comfortable booking separate cabins for parents and children, unless it was an adjoining cabin - which I know is available on QM2 in Britannia Category. Sadly, I have no experience of sailing on Queen Victoria, so I am unable to respond to your question.

If you wish, I will explain why I would not book an inside cabin to be occupied by children while their parents/guardians booked a separate balcony cabin, even if it was "across the hall". But I understand you did that, and that it worked out well for you, which I am very glad to read.

Regards,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Given that Cunard doesn't chase the family market, I'm not surprised there are only a handful of options for 4 people to a stateroom.

A family I met on QM2 had done what someone above posted - balcony for parents and inside across for the kids.

If family sized/accommodating 4 is what you're after, best to look to lines like Carnival, RCCL, Princess, and the like.

Hi sho. If understand correctly, you are asking for one cabin that accommodates more than two people (you didn't say how many people, but I'm assuming it's 3 or more), and you don't want an inside cabin, or a Grill suite. May I suggest that you phone Cunard directly and ask if the accommodations you want are available? Please let us know how it works out for you and your family. Best wishes, -S.

I second the suggestion of calling Cunard directly. It could be a problem with the booking software. I think I've read this complaint on boards for other lines (maybe HAL). Posters have said that quads exist but don't show up when you try to do a booking online.

I took a quick look as well, and it does seem true that QM2 has very limited balconies for 4 people. Only the larger suites.

We have traveled on QM2 as a family of four a few times on TAs, with another round trip coming up for a summer trip to Europe. But we prefer inside cabins for complete darkness, so never noticed that was pretty much all that was available. Our children will be 6 and 9 this summer. 9yo 3rd round trip, 6yo 2nd round trip to Europe. Never had any issues with traveling on QM2 as a family. The kids club works great, and is usually not that crowded. Swimming pools are nice. Various sports activities, etc.

I do know that 4 person cabins do fill up early occasionally, and even on Carnival we were unable to book a "round trip" to Hawaii due to completely sold out 4 person cabins.

--

whyohwhyoh