Recent Tahitian Princess passengers

cruisernurse

We have been on TP before and will be returning again in 2006. My question for those that have been lately or numerous times, what did you do while in Moorea and Cook Islands? We did the scoot cars last time and the helmet dive in Moorea.

Also, does anyone have a good email for Stephan in Raitea? I have emailed him several times, but only one response months ago.

For those that went back for a second round were the refrigerators cold or just a little cool?

Are the kids of Raietea still dancing on board the ship?

Has anyone done the 4x4 on Huahanie with Marc and if so was it as good as his outrigger picnic?

Any suggestions of things you wish you had done besides get to stay longer?

cruisernurse

OK, I'll give it a try. While in Moorea, we just grabbed one of the 4x4 tour vehicles at port and went on an island tour and ended at a beach. She then picked us back up an hour later and took us back to the ship. The little truck/jeep holds 4 people in the back, but there were just 2 of us. It was $100 for about 3-4 hours. On one of the stops we wanted to do the scoot cars but they were all rented out by the time we got to the rental counter. I can't remember which island this was, I think if was one of the stops that we arrived at late in the evening and stayed until the next afternoon (perhaps Riatea?). It would have been smart if we would have gone to the rental agency upon arrival and made the reservation for the next day -- that was suggested by the cruise staff. There were always dancers onboard, of all ages. They did have cute little girls dancing, but don't remember from which island.

We did the helmit dive somewhere through the ship. A great experience, glad I did it, but won't do it again. If at all interested in this, be sure to sign up in advance. It sells out quickly. A lot of people were in awe at the sunset cruises. I didn't take those, but heard from several that it was most amazing. In Papeete, we did Patrick's half-day tour the first day of our cruise. It was great -- I think we paid $45 each for the tour and when he dropped us off he was picking up another group for an afternoon tour, but this group was from the ship's tour and they paid about $80 for the same tour. We got info from Patrick's tour from these boards (the French Polynesia section on the ports of call boards).

Sorry I couldn't have been more helpful. This was a difficult cruise for me personally and unfortunately my focus/attention wasn't where it should have been.

The only thing I would suggest is to have a pre and/or post-cruise stay and arrange your own flights. People that had the cruiseline flights seemed upset about how it was arranged -- not that Princess could have done anything better, they actually tried to accommodate passengers very well. It's just the wait for the flights leaving were very difficult for some passengers. Maybe the "upset" feelings I observed were just expressions of depression for the end of a good cruise for some people.

Cruisernurse,

If you haven't been there already, try the Pacific Islands section of the Ports of Call boards. That's where I read up on the Tahiti portion of my Pacific Princess cruise last year. There should also be some discussion of the Tahitian Princess on that board as well.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I have been to Moorea several times on Princess and used to stay at the Bali Hi which was owned by friends and later sold as a private compound.

On Moorea, you can go to the ICB hotel for awhile. Has beautiful grounds and lots of water activities.

Rent a car and visit the lookouts and drive around the island. You will find some stops by the number of tourist buses parked.

Lot of people book the motu lunch tour with Princess. You can play with the rays and snorkel there.

While not recommended by Princess, you can rent bicycles and ride over and around Cooks Bay. Might have to go to one of the hotel's to get bikes.

There is a large waterfall and pond accessible by short hike or 4x4 where you can go skinnydipping. Just keep your swim suit close by if a tour group shows up! You will find it on one of the maps. Its fairly close to the ferry port.

Last year, Princess stopped offering its shark fed tour in Moorea, not sure this year. I am not one that supports this activity, but if its offered by anyone, you will have fun.

Learn to scuba dive and you will never want of a good activity on these islands.

John

Archived