Pros and Cons from end of the season Alaska Cruises

Countrygirl44

We took the second to last cruise on the Star last September (2013) out of Seattle. We had pretty good weather - a little drizzle in Skagway, but beautiful weather in Juneau. We also got right up to Tracey Arm- stunning! Our ship was full because the Celebrity ship that had to cancel had some passengers that came on to our ship so as not to cancel their travel plans. The second day - when it was Formal night got really rocky as it was outside the passage... a few of us did not make it to dinner. Other than that nice warm temperatures, basically no rain just drizzle. The worst weather we had was in Seattle... :) But as all the experienced travelers say... who knows weather wise? But trip wise it was great all around. Have a wonderful time!

We went the first week of September 2013. Really rainy. September is very rainy in southeast Alaska. The weather in Ketchikan was beautiful but we paid for it the next day as our inside passage sail was total fog all day. The captain said that is what usually happens when the weather is good in Ketchikan. (This was a southbound cruise) Daylight hours were, surprisingly, about the same as at home. 7 am or so to 7:30 or so, so kind of normal hours for those of us from the southland!

We have been on 2 end of season cruises to Alaska. great weather on first, not so much on 2nd but not too bad either. I also have a handicapped husband and would jump at the chance for a cruise like that. I know what the hassle is.

Was getting ready to call and book the cruise until DH's sister's husband got a devastating report on his last scans. Lung cancer has moved into his spine and hips. Timing would be just too risky. Thanks to all for your comments. I would like to request your prayers for our family. Thank you.

Sept 21, 2011 Some pluses and minuses...

A shop I wanted to visit at Icy Strait Point was closed for the season.

We saw our first grizzly bear munching on grass on the shoreline.

There was some color in vegetation.

It rained a lot. But that can happen anytime.

One good experience as a result of bad weather was that we cruised the scenic, narrow passage in between Vancouver Island and the mainland (rather than the ocean side) on our return to Seattle. We were threated to an amazing experience: all of a sudden as if on cue, about 200 dolphins came charging the ship from both shores. They swam with us, leaping out of the water and riding the waves. Then with perfect timing, they vanished.

Was getting ready to call and book the cruise until DH's sister's husband got a devastating report on his last scans. Lung cancer has moved into his spine and hips. Timing would be just too risky. Thanks to all for your comments. I would like to request your prayers for our family. Thank you.

I'm so sorry to hear this. :( Lots of prayers coming to you from here.

So sorry to hear why you won't be doing the cruise after all. My thoughts are with you.

If anyone else reading wants to know about the last cruise of the season ...

We were on the Dawn Princess RT San Franciso on her last Alaska Cruise in 2007 (last time she was ever in San Francisco). We had rain every day in Alaska, and on the way up there was a terrible storm causing us to miss a port. We were with the same captain in Antarctica a few years later, and he confirmed the storm on the Alaska trip was about as bad as it gets. We were on the Riviera Deck (bridge level) and getting sea spray on the balcony.

Was still a fun trip, though.

Thank you for your prayers and I do hope you will continue them. He is to start his chemo on Tuesday. Last time he was not able to complete the regime as he could not keep his counts up. Probably one of the reasons the cancer spread to the bones. We are praying this round will be more effective.:)

His attitude is so positive, that a part of me has to believe he will beat the odds. In my mind I am thinking that I may look at this cruise again in late July early August to see if it is still available at the wonderful price quoted last week, and if so, it could possibly be a go.:)

I do apologize that I gave a little misinformation. :confused: It is the last cruise of the season for the Golden Princess (September 13-20). However, there are some ships with other lines as well as Princess that will be cruising later in September. If my research is correct, the last ship will be in Skagway on September 25, Ketchikan September 27 and Juneau September 24. Would this middle week of September make that much difference?:eek:

I do so appreciate so much your help.

My two cents worth -

All three of our Alaskan cruises were end of season and we found they were much better for us.

PROS: Price for the cruise itself was lower than being in the season highs: There were less kids (unsupervised kids can make for a nightmarish experience); Prices on shore (SHOPPING) were lower as the merchants were closing down for the winter; There were fewer people from the cruise ships on shore so less crowds

Cons: The weather can be a little iffy in the ports and at sea;

Weather is everyone's big question - our first cruise we had light rain and overcast weather the entire trip and Victoria was a short (4 hour stop) and at night one, but got up close and personal with Glacier Bay. The second one - the weather was a mix, sunny & bright in Ketchikan, drizzle in Juneau and partly cloudy in Sitka with Hubbard Bay partly cloudy, Victoria was at night. And the third one - Weather in all the ports except Icy Strait Point (overcast and misty) was sunny and bright. In fact Anchorage, Tracy Arm, Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan was almost too warm for the clothes we had brought with us. BUT the captain had to cancel Kodiak and Homer because of the season's first big storm - We out ran it and to make up for missing those two ports we got to go to Glacier Bay which was sunny and bright - it was beautiful and Victoria was an all day stop with sun and beautiful weather.

In my own opinion - it doesn't matter when you go to Alaska - you are cruising and that is the best.

Have a great time what ever you chose to do.

Just finished reading the rest of the thread - so sorry to hear about your BIL illness. Will keep him in my prayers.

Okie

Edited by Okie1946
added comment

Thanks so much for all the replies. For those of you that traveled the last cruise of the season, share with me about the "hours of sunlight". On one of our late May cruises, I don't think we actually saw complete darkness. Of course, we were off to bed fairly early.

The best thing about the end of season cruise is that you will find great buys in all the ports. The shops will be trying to unload all the merchandise before the end of the season. :D

Weather is a total crap shoot. One one can predict what will happen, no matter what time of year. In September there will still be at least 15 hrs of daylight.

We have done Alaska three times in Sept. Twice over Labor Day and once 3rd week. We had great weather and only had one rainy day total in all three cruises. That was in Ketchikan . I LOVE Sept cruising but brother wanted earlier this year. I hope we have as good weather as we did in Sept.