What month to travel Alaska?

redmustanggt89

I am in the process of trying to coordinate an Alaskian cruise for approximate 10 couples. I need advice. They are retired, so which is the best month to travel and the best ports to see?

Most of the couples are senior citizens, so I want them to have a wonderful time. My father has been taking cancer treatments so I want him to have a ball.

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

My favorite time is the last week of May or the first week or so of June. Especially if you're going to enjoy a land tour as well. McKinley has a better average number of days being seen during this time of year than any other time. (Nat. Parks Dept)

As to the itinerary, Glacier Bay is a must in my opinion. The others are pretty standard.

I just returned home from Alaska today (aug 1st) and we had quite a bit of rain. When I asked the locals, they also recommended late May to mid June. They said by the middle of July, rain is pretty typical. Keep in mind though, that I have heard Alaska weather is unpredictable, so plan for anything. But I did have a friend who went in early June this year and had better weather than we did. Hope this helps.

My favorite week is the last week of May or first week of June - though I would sail anytime from mid-May to mid-June.

My cruise the first week of July had tons of rain. I have friends who sailed that same time this year and it rained quite a bit for them also.

Yes, late May, June is a great time. But I like mid to late August. Excellent wildlife viewing and full salmon runs. I would look at anytime, through August. Sept is just too iffy in my opinion so perhaps avoid then. Maybe consider tours of interest and go from there??

The weather is a total crap-shoot.

while the above posts are correct, we were on the 7/15-7/22 cruise of the Summit. We had near perfect weather everyday. On 7/21 (thursday) we cruised through maybe 1 hour of rain. In each port Ketchikan, Skagway, Juneau, Icy Point etc we found a perfect day. the crew mentioend the the previous week it had rained every day.

Al

Archived