Inside cabin on Princess vs Outside cabin

prchoudh

Many thanks to those that have helped me with the cruise so far. I have the cruise narrowed down to Princess Cruise. I decided against RCCL based on cruise critic feedback as well as the itinerary. At any rate, being that this is my first cruise and I am starting to plan the cruise now with less than 2 months until sailing, the RT cruises are the same price when you factor in the airfare or in some cases more.

The price difference between the outside cabin with a window verses inside cabin is $800 ($2000 vs. $2800). My location is on the Riviera deck but not directly below the pool. The location is close to the stairs so, I can walk quickly upstairs. The Princess rep did tell me that sometimes things pop up on opposite side of the ship so, even if you have an outside cabin, you still might need to get to a viewing area to watch the scenery.

Is the extra 800 really worth having a window to see out of? If I do, then I have to take the money out of shore excursions or other. I have traveled on Caribbean cruises with Interior staterooms and it was decent. Not exactly my most preferred way to travel but, based on the cost difference it felt justified at the time.

Many thanks to those that have helped me with the cruise so far. I have the cruise narrowed down to Princess Cruise. I decided against RCCL based on cruise critic feedback as well as the itinerary. At any rate, being that this is my first cruise and I am starting to plan the cruise now with less than 2 months until sailing, the RT cruises are the same price when you factor in the airfare or in some cases more.

The price difference between the outside cabin with a window verses inside cabin is $800 ($2000 vs. $2800). My location is on the Riviera deck but not directly below the pool. The location is close to the stairs so, I can walk quickly upstairs. The Princess rep did tell me that sometimes things pop up on opposite side of the ship so, even if you have an outside cabin, you still might need to get to a viewing area to watch the scenery.

Is the extra 800 really worth having a window to see out of? If I do, then I have to take the money out of shore excursions or other. I have traveled on Caribbean cruises with Interior staterooms and it was decent. Not exactly my most preferred way to travel but, based on the cost difference it felt justified at the time.

If I had a choice between excursions are a window, I would take the excursions.

If there is some kind of viewing you really can't see it from an ocean view and chances are you won't be in the cabin but out and about. I stay in obstructed view cabins because I want to know if it is night or day. For $800.00 difference I would go for the inside and turn the ship cam on at night to know the difference between night and day.

This is just me.

Go for the excursions.

For me, $50-$100 max additional for outside. You really can't view things but it is nice to know if it is day or night when you awake and also if it is raining. Having said that, on the Grand class ships there are obstructed ocenview rooms on I believe deck 6, and they often are excellent deals. You can judge from the deck plan the extent of the obstruction as you are looking between, over, or directly at lifeboats or tender boats. Inside cabins near the Terrace Pool provide great access to the aft deck for viewing and also to the Horizon Court Buffet.

I agree with the fishin' musician. Having a cabin with a window isn't worth a lot to me. I want to be on an open deck in Alaska--not trying to see things from a window. And $800 will probably cover a lot more enjoyment on excursions.

Thank you. I appreciate all the feedback. When I have stayed in an inside cabin, I usually bring a small alarm clock. At home, I have a tendency to get up when the sun rises which of course makes it harder to get up for work when its dark.

I am going on Princess to Alaska in August and was faced with the same exact dilemma. I ended ip choosing an inside cabin and going for fabulous shore excursions....I'm really happy with my choice! Now I just can't wait to go :D

If I had a choice between excursions are a window, I would take the excursions.

If there is some kind of viewing you really can't see it from an ocean view and chances are you won't be in the cabin but out and about. I stay in obstructed view cabins because I want to know if it is night or day. For $800.00 difference I would go for the inside and turn the ship cam on at night to know the difference between night and day.

This is just me.

Go for the excursions.

Agree with liketraveling!

Wife and I took the 14-day Voyage of the Glaciers cruise on the Sapphire Princess and booked an inside cabin for the first time with no regrets. I didn't want to be in my cabin much with all the fantastic scenery around to view from either the Promenade Deck when raining or up top when better weather. And yes, there's views on Port and Starboard sides so you're back and forth to see the wildlife .........whales in many places along the way! Take some excursions!

If you are doing a one way passage, and opt for a window or balcony, MAKE SURE YOUR ROOM FACES THE LAND SIDE!!!! If you can't enjoy the view there is not much benefit in having a view.

After having a balcony on our past cruises, I can honestly say that, at least for us, being able to enjoy some privacy in our own space was worth the money.

In Alaska, you want and need to be out on deck at all possible times..........if you have a window or a balcony, you can easily be on the wrong side and miss things.............whales, otters, calving, etc.

If you are outside, it's easy to get from one side of the ship to the other. Save your $$$ for excursions.

When you are viewing glaciers, be up on top for a while, but take some time to go down to the promenade deck because you can HEAR the ice that's calving from the glaciers cracking as it floats by in the water...............it's sorta like Rice Krispies noise!

Your in-cabin TV will have cameras so you can look when you first get up and see what the weather is outside..............some people leave them on when they're gone so there's some light when they return to the cabin.........but, if you are an energy saver you won't want to do that.

ENJOY ALASKA!:p