So the beach with the airplanes...

frayedend

Is it any good other than the planes? Is there an admission fee or any water activities? Is the water clean/nice? Any snorkeling from it? We would like to see it but I want to make sure it's a nice day apart from just seeing the planes land.

What's best way to get there and cost?

Thanks

Is it any good other than the planes? Is there an admission fee or any water activities? Is the water clean/nice? Any snorkeling from it? We would like to see it but I want to make sure it's a nice day apart from just seeing the planes land.

Thanks

8$ pp for a taxi as of Jan 2013.

The main attraction is the planes, which we love, there are a few bars that are fun and have great looking food.

There is no admission, if you take a chair in the shade in the bar (that's the only shade) it would be courtesy to buy a drink.

The water there is not good for snorkeling or even really swimming. People swim in it and do ok, but the waves are very strong. Didn't just toss me on the beach, picked me up and threw me on the beach. I would not let young kids swim there. However, I will concede that maybe both times we were there it was bad surf days. Conditions can change.

I have heard of a nearby beach that is more of a normal beach area that you can easily go from one to the other but I haven't done that, maybe someone else knows.

My recommendation is to go to another beach in the am and go to Maho by 11 am, that is when the bigger planes will start coming. There are a lot of smaller planes, so the show goes on all the time.

Can't wait to go back!

Thanks

I love Maho beach, beach is clean and at times the sea can be rough and many other times the sea is just heavenly. It all depends on the tide, the beach can be narrow in some areas and wide in other areas.

St. Maarten/St.Martin is known for their 37 beautiful beaches and I would suggest going to Mullet Bay in the am which is very close to Maho Beach, then do Maho @ Noon. People do walk from Mullet Bay to Maho, which is about a 15 min walk and it can be very hot in the sun walking to Maho, so you may want to take a short taxi ride. Another suggestion is to go to Orient Bay in the am and Maho at Noon, which is another beautiful beach.

Best way to get to any of the beaches are taxis in Philipsburg near the pier. They will take you to Maho Beach, Mullet Bay or Orient Bay and plenty of taxis at Maho Beach to take you back to the port in Philipsburg.

Thanks

we were there in Dec and there was barely a space to stand on the beach which is on an incline and very narrow. water looked great but no place to leave our bags - it was pretty crazy. get there by noon as flights seem to come in around 2 from what i've heard - we were on a tour and got there at 2 so it was just to crowded.

I love Maho beach, beach is clean and at times the sea can be rough and many other times the sea is just heavenly. It all depends on the tide, the beach can be narrow in some areas and wide in other areas.

St. Maarten/St.Martin is known for their 37 beautiful beaches and I would suggest going to Mullet Bay in the am which is very close to Maho Beach, then do Maho @ Noon. People do walk from Mullet Bay to Maho, which is about a 15 min walk and it can be very hot in the sun walking to Maho, so you may want to take a short taxi ride. Another suggestion is to go to Orient Bay in the am and Maho at Noon, which is another beautiful beach.

Best way to get to any of the beaches are taxis in Philipsburg near the pier. They will take you to Maho Beach, Mullet Bay or Orient Bay and plenty of taxis at Maho Beach to take you back to the port in Philipsburg.

Since half of the walk from Mullet to Maho is through the entertainment district at Maho you can walk on the shady side of the street or stop in at a store if you want to cool off. Mullet is a great beach and combining it with Maho is a great idea. Personally the Orient - Maho combination requires too much time in traffic IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

We went to Maho for the first time in March. If you have never been there, I would definitely suggest going there once because there is nothing like it. The beach is very crowded. If you are looking to relax, this is not the beach. There is no fee to enter and I didn't see any water activities. There were a couple bars with food. We went to Mullet Bay beach in the morning, then took a $2 bus ride over to Maho (or you can walk there). Mullet Bay beach is beautiful. You can rent chairs and umbrellas. There is snorkeling at Mullet. There is no fee to enter Mullet either. So I would suggest doing Mullet in the am and Maho in the pm (around 12pm).