Personal taste advice wanted for river cruising

sbfrench1

My husband and I would like to go on a 7 to 10 day river cruise, we were thinking around late September 2015. I know this is going to sound crazy and everyone will tell me it depends on personal taste but we sure would like some advice for a European cruise. Is there one better than another, they all sound so great.

We're in our late 50's, love to walk, love the countryside, rivers (obviously), really are pretty opened to anything. I was thinking the French countryside or Paris and Normandy, but then again would Budapest stopping in Croatia be better, or the Rhine river??? If anyone has taken some river cruises please advise. Thank you. Also, is late September a good time to go, we can go anytime.

My husband and I would like to go on a 7 to 10 day river cruise, we were thinking around late September 2015. I know this is going to sound crazy and everyone will tell me it depends on personal taste but we sure would like some advice for a European cruise. Is there one better than another, they all sound so great.

It is true: they all are great. So far we did 6 and I really can't tell if one itinerary is better than another. Though for the first time I'd suggest something short: e.g 7 days Rhine or Danube cruise.

We're in our late 50's, love to walk, love the countryside, rivers (obviously), really are pretty opened to anything. I was thinking the French countryside or Paris and Normandy, but then again would Budapest stopping in Croatia be better, or the Rhine river??? If anyone has taken some river cruises please advise. Thank you. Also, is late September a good time to go, we can go anytime.

Although we never sailed in the late September I'd say it should be a good time. High/low water can't really be predicted, so no worries here.

You are correct that it is all about personal taste.

Where are you interested in traveling? Paris and Normany is great for WWII buffs. Provence has lots of time and many overnights in port.

We have done the Rhine, Moselle, Danube and tulip time cruises. Prefer Germany and Austria to Belgium and the Netherlands, whether by land or on a river cruise.

We look for extended times in port, some overnights, limited day time sailing as we prefer to be in port than sailing looking at scenery. Others enjoy sailing time on the rivers.

We love to visit Europe during the holiday season, for the Christmas markets and it is festive and fun. We also enjoy theme cruises that focus on our interests as we meet like minded people and get to experience events related to our interests.

We generally cruise in fall and early winter. Just back from our first spring cruise and we will stick with fall and winter in the future.

I prefer Spring or Fall.Have been on 10 so far.Started with Castles on Danube,Rhine,etc.Moved to France(Southern) and on from there.Look at the many reviews,also ea.website for cruises has video.Check out you tube.

Pick one and then if not the BEST,pick another for next time.All different,so just START.PS.then moved to Russia,Portugal,Egypt,Vietnam,etc....gets addictive.

Now doing Budapest to Bucharest in June,then N.France next May.

HINT,book EARLY for best cabin and choice of dates.:)

Each itinerary is great. We were never in Paris so the Paris Normandy cruise was a perfect first choice for us. We are far from WWII buffs but found it very interesting. You could always do the Normandy countryside excursion instead. The Southern France cruises are very well liked also. Regardless of which itinerary you chose make sure most of the cruising is done at night since you are active and like to be out and about.

After last year now we are doing the Rhine this year. And planning to do the Danube after that. Try one and you'll probably be hooked. 😄

While I am no expert (only 1 River cruise but more planned) we took the 8 day Castles Along the Rhine cruise on September 1st last year - Basel to Amsterdam and found it an outstanding cruise. It gave us a lot of variety of scenery, a chance to see the wine region, the castle region, some industrial as well as some of the best foods ( I love snitzel, and kraut as well as a good cold beer) of the region.

This cruise also afforded us the chance to go to the famous Black Forest. Most of the cruising was done over night, however there was just the right mixture of daytime cruising to get a chance to recoup a bit. This itinerary gave us the opportunity to stay a few days in Amsterdam at the end. Oh and one other thing..... The weather was AWESOME!

We have already booked a River Cruise for 2015 and will be working on that trip when we return from our cruise on the NCL Epic in 2 weeks.

Good luck on whatever you choose....River Cruising is hard to beat!!

Oh, and as one person mentioned......... Book early - good discounts and greater selection of rooms. We used a large travel company (online & via phone) in Texas, who also passed along hefty discounts that I could not get by booking directly myself. (I tried) :)

Feel free to email me re: my personal thoughts about companies.

Edited by Buck1949
Add info

Do research all the lines.Try http://www.cruisecritic.com/river for more info on all the lines.Then make your choice.

They range in price,cabin style,inclusions,etc.Pick what s be st for you and your budget.Tend to GET what you pay for.

Can t mention TA s on this site.Google for ones that offer discounts.Get a couple quotes and check them out with BBB in their city too.

OP you should know that September is very popular month for River cruising... Ships completely Sell Out a year or more in advance. If you are really wanting to sail Sept 2015 you need to get something booked or see what is still available.

I booked our Avalon Sept 2015 last February, Amsterdam to Budapest.

Have fun with the research and planning!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oh, and as one person mentioned......... Book early - good discounts and greater selection of rooms. We used a large travel company (online & via phone) in Texas, who also passed along hefty discounts that I could not get by booking directly myself. (I tried) :)

Feel free to email me re: my personal thoughts about companies.

sent you a pm.

OP you should know that September is very popular month for River cruising... Ships completely Sell Out a year or more in advance. If you are really wanting to sail Sept 2015 you need to get something booked or see what is still available.

I booked our Avalon Sept 2015 last February, Amsterdam to Budapest.

Have fun with the research and planning!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I Second what nana541 said!! We booked our Uniworld August 2015 cruise this past January.

I have a really stupid question, if the tours are all included in the price how do they get 500 people that are on the boat on tours. I'm missing something here.

Not a stupid question at all.... most of the River Cruises...have a capacity of 150 to 200 people...with the norm being around 160 or so... thus not a big problem to set up the excursions. There are also some alternatives to excursions...like bike riding in port, walking in port...or taking an alternate tour. Uniworld also had a tour in almost every port that was designed for those that were a bit more 'walking' challenged...etc.

Hope that clears that up a bit...

Uniworld is quite a bit more money than Viking, is it that much better?

I personally can not answer if one is much better than the other since I have only used Uniworld. I would however make sure you compare each cruise line that sails where you intend to go......even down to comparing port charges against each other which I have found can be different. In the end sometimes one price may not vary too much from company to company after checking what each cruise line offers in detail. (early booking discounts, different types of excursions, times in port, room types, other amenities that each company is noted for that might appeal to you etc,) Someone earlier posted a link that kind of describes a bit about the different lines.... That may give some insight also.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/river

Also my travel agent helped steer me in a particular direction - and in my estimation did not 'steer' me wrong. ;)

Uniworld is quite a bit more money than Viking, is it that much better?

Hi - It depends on what is important for you.

We have travelled with Uniworld (x3), Scenic (x2), Viking and AMA so far. Our first cruise with Avalon is in a little less than 6 weeks.

Uniworld has an attention to detail that is, IMHO, unsurpassed. Now, I have not travelled with Tauck yet, but I understand that they are also detail oriented - and the price point reflects that.

Uniworld is now "all inclusive" - so you are really paying up front for the package. Viking does not have that option, so their price reflects that --> you are paying more things out of picket after you board.

Viking also asks for the complete payment months in advance - which most (if not all) other companies do not ask for. This is enough of an issue that many people will not book with Viking because of it.

Only you can decide it the higher cost is worth it... We tend to book lowest category cabin (ie: Aquarium Class) and feel that a lower cost is important for us.

Good Luck with your planning!!

Fran

Can t mention TA s on this site.Google for ones that offer discounts.Get a couple quotes and check them out with BBB in their city too.

Good advice. Definitely check with BBB and google online reviews before picking up a Travel Agency. Few months ago we had some troubles with the TA and had to file a BBB complaint.

By the way many river cruise lines (Viking in particular) do offer referral credits for first time cruisers, which you can use as an additional discount (usually $200 per cabin). If you are interested please let me know.