MSC Splendida photo review.

TheCaveman

We passed lots of shops, cafés and restaurants on the way. It was obvious that only men are meeting at those places. You could hardly see a woman sitting at the restaurant table or coffee shop.

Finally we got to Medina and the fun started. Lots of little streets with vendors selling you clothing, souvenirs, spices and lots of other thing. You can see tourist influence with locals, as they will try to sell you goods in few languages, until they finally spot which one you actually speak.

We bought few little things and we did bater the price.

And good advice for all of you – ALWAYS NEGOTIATE! Don’t pay whatever they asking you to pay, as they will chance their arm and push for more money. For example DW wanted little figurine of camel, guy asked for 30 euro. We started walking away, he stopped us dropping down the price to 15 euro. Eventually we negotiated to 3 euro.

DSC00350.jpg

DSC00352.jpg

DSC00353.jpg

Tourist info place it to the right of this picture, across the street

DSC00361.jpg

DSC00362.jpg

DSC00363.jpg

We were still tired of the previous night and it was very hot, so 5 of us decided to come back to the ship. We walked back the same way we came in, but when we got to the train station, it turns out we can’t pay in euro.

We have to go to the bank, exchange money and then.

But, right beside train station was a long queue of taxis, ready to offer their service.

We agreed with drivers that we will take two cabs for 10 euro total. On the way to the port our driver was doing everything to lose the other driver, even though we told him to drive right behind. ( Driving 140km/h in a 60 zone // 90mph in a 37 zone)

When we got to the port, our driver didn’t turn towards the gates, but stopped by the roundabout saying that he can’t drive into port, only special taxis can do that. We said ok but can he call his taxi friend and tell him to stop at the same place, so our friends can join us.

We agreed initially that we will pay 10 for all of us, but we wanted them to join us first. He called his friend, they were obviously speaking language we couldn’t understand. Then our driver pointed in the direction of port gates and showed us the other taxi and our friends getting off it. So we paid him 10 euro, started walking and eventually joined our friends.

It turns out, the other driver also charged them 10 euro, saying that we asked for them to pay…

Few hours later the rest of our group came back. They took one taxi on the way back and also agreed that fare is 10 for all of them. However when they got to the port, driver tried to charge them 10 euro each. They refused to pay, said he can call police or whoever he wants. They agreed on 10 euro total, so it is 10.

Anyway, just be aware of the taxi drivers. They will try to cheat you.

The rest of the day we spend at the pool, since it was really hot for the first time on this cruise.

DSC00386.jpg

Aft Pool

DSC00390.jpg

Departing

DSC00391.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

DSC00405.jpg

DSC00411.jpg

That night we didn’t party at all, we were too tired.

After dinner we just had few drinks at the bar and went to bed early.

So, tomorrow I will finish the review with the last sea day, and Barcelona...

Still loving this review, CaveMan!! Are you glad you decided to go into Tunis? We are traveling with Hubby, Me and 21 year old daughter... would that cause any problems for us? Is the market the best place to go? Thanks in advance! We are boarding in Messina... did you see how many people were embarking there?

Nice adventure. I went to Tunis once, when I was like 16 or 17 years old on a school trip, we had no trouble at all. We were staying in Tunis downtown and went out without adult supervision. This was before 2001 anyway.

If we went there now we would probably take a cruise excursion, it's always better to have a local guide in that area (IMHO). I liked Sidi Bou Said the most and a roman-mosaic Museum which was very nice, I don't know if they offer it in cruise excursions.

Edited by Elmartellama

This is one of my favorite reviews so far! I'm loving all the photos!

Thanks, all the way from New Zealand,,,

I was in Christchurch on the last Lions tour,,, Beautiful country... and I am a big Sharks supporter, sooooo glad the Sharks finally beat the Crusaders....

Nice adventure. I went to Tunis once, when I was like 16 or 17 years old on a school trip, we had no trouble at all. We were staying in Tunis downtown and went out without adult supervision. This was before 2001 anyway.

If went there now I would probably take a cruise excursion, it's always better to have a local guide in that area (IMHO). I liked Sidi Bou Said the most and a roman-mosaic Museum which was very nice, I don't know if they offer it in cruise excursions.

I will second this... It is one of the few stops in the world that I have been to, that I would suggest, just take a ship tour, for piece of mind.

I am not going to say anything bad about it, but next time we go there, i wont get of the ship, and I grew up in South Africa....

Thank you very much for your review, very nice to read and not at least to see all your great photos. Very interesting to see your photos from Tunis. I have been there three times with MSC but always stayed on the ship. Next time i must take a trip ashore I guess. Splendida looks just as great as her sisters Fantasia, Divina and Preziosa :)

Thanks, all the way from New Zealand,,,

I was in Christchurch on the last Lions tour,,, Beautiful country... and I am a big Sharks supporter, sooooo glad the Sharks finally beat the Crusaders....

Caveman I was loving your review until now :) It is good to see the Sharks back to their best. Since leaving NZ and moving to Perth I have become a Force supporter. We will see you in the Final :eek: Your review has convinced us to get the drinks package. What more do I need to say.....loved it.

Edited by Kiwiaus

Off to Barcelona tomorrow and on the ship on Fri - so thank you so much for the review.

Still undecided re Tunis althought id love to carthage

Carthage is well worth seeing, but I'd do a ship tour just to be on the safe side.

Caveman I was loving your review until now :) It is good to see the Sharks back to their best. Since leaving NZ and moving to Perth I have become a Force supporter. We will see you in the Final :eek: Your review has convinced us to get the drinks package. What more do I need to say.....loved it.

Would love a Sharks vs. Force final...

And yes, get the drink package, it is really worth it...