what to do in Ft. Lauderdale for few hours before board Allure?

snorkel4ever

We will be arriving in Ft. Lauderdale around 10 am sunday Aug 17 (Disembarking from Carnival cruise in Miami). What can we do for a few hours before going to port? Or is it better just to go to port and wait to get on ship (Allure)? Is there anything to do in port - shopping, café etc? Don't want to spend hours standing around waiting in port before boarding... Any suggestions?

We will be arriving in Ft. Lauderdale around 10 am sunday Aug 17 (Disembarking from Carnival cruise in Miami). What can we do for a few hours before going to port? Or is it better just to go to port and wait to get on ship (Allure)? Is there anything to do in port - shopping, café etc? Don't want to spend hours standing around waiting in port before boarding... Any suggestions?

Q at immigration/border control for up to three hours. Then Q for up to a hour for a taxi. By the time you arrive at embarkation it would have already commenced.:eek:

So no worries about killing time.:D

Thank you for quick response. I am a novice cruiser and have never tried going from one port to another for same day cruise. Carnival Dream arrives in Miami at 8:00. We were going to do priority disembark and have already arranged private transportation to take us from Miami port to Ft, Lauderdale. It sounds as if a 9:00 departure from the Miami port is unrealistic. Do you really think it will take up to 3 hours to leave Miami port if we get off ship early? We have never been to Miami port before. (Previously have sailed from Port Canaveral port only on Disney and RCI and was off ships & through customs in an hour) There have been conflicting reports as to how soon you can board Allure or how long it takes to embark after arrival at Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale. How long do you think it will take to board Allure after arrival at port, if we arrive mid to late morning as opposed to early afternoon? How long is the time frame between check in completion and boarding? Is there a seating area? Info / suggestions most appreciated!

A 9:00 pickup from the Miami ship is fine. Actually I would choose a 9:30-10:00 pick up givinig you more time to linger over breakfast. And avoid those hurrying to meet a flight. No, it is not a 3 hour process to disembark the ships. At least not that we have ever experienced.

As far as boarding the Allure, most ships start checking in around 10:30-11:00. Ships allow for earliest( priority) check in for frequent cruisers. So boarding for general cruisers is done after that group.

If you arrive late morning ( 10:30-11:00) you will easily be on the ship for lunch. Don't worry. Port Everglades is easy and not stressful. And from what I have heard, boarding and disembarking this monster ship goes smoothly. They have it figured out.

Edited by eandj

Port Royal must have had some real precruise bad experience.;) Haven't heard that it took 3 hours to get thru Fort Lauderdale and definitely didn't ever stand in line for an hour for a cab. All an unfortunate way to begin a cruise.

But..what time would you like to settle in on the ship? If you want to see a little of Fort before boarding, I'd head to the port and check in your suitcases as soon as you arrive. Then cab over to Las Olas Blvd for a stroll and lunch. Or you could take a little time on the water taxi system to see the intracoastal.

This is all dependent on when your ship leaves. Plan on being ready to check in a couple hours precruise time. Not leaving you a whole lot of time to spend in the city.

The OP is arriving at that little place called MIAMI, this place according to an American cruiser, is not part of the USA.

Allow up to three hours for a non USA national. They are obnoxious and deliberately delay the process, stating homeland security is important and correct procedures must be followed. Obama rules okay?

Last B2B cruise USA Customs did not clear the ship until 12.00.

We were off ship for two hours stuck at immigration before we were allowed back on. Embarkation commenced 13.00

Agree if time after luggage drop to take a stroll down Los Olas:D

Edited by PORT ROYAL

There is nothing to do in port. There are a few stores about 1.5 miles away but I don't think they open until noon on Sunday, and there are a few restaurants serving breakfast in same area.

If you arrive early enough, you could drop off bags and ask your driver (if you are in a private car and you arrange this in advance) to then take you about 4 miles away to Las Olas where you will find many cafes serving breakfast, and some shops will be open by 11. Taxi to port from there is about $20.

The OP is arriving at that little place called MIAMI, this place according to an American cruiser, is not part of the USA.

:D

Hahaha! I know a lot of locals that would agree with you!

To the OP, you aren't really going to have time for anything maybe other than a quick bite to eat.

I'd head straight to the ship.

My mistake...yes Miami disembarkations might take a little longer. :o

But I haven't heard before that a non US resident spent 3 hours in line waiting to clear. And then an hour for a cab? At least not in general. Out of the ordinary.

Back to back procedures on the same ship are a little differnt too. I have heard complaints re that.

Edited by eandj