Just off the Caribbean Princess post (short) dry dock...

Griff4AU

Here's my quick thoughts as I need to see what I missed at work (unfortunately I was in my office before 8:00 am)

- In looking at the ship, and speaking with several crew, it appears this drydock was a "cleaning and carpet" drydock more than anything else. Lots of "new carpet" fuzz around.

- With the Ruby now in Europe, we saw a lot of crew from our Ruby sailing in March on the CB now.

- Inside of the ship looked good / very good, but not "new".. She is still a great ship.

- In our opinion, it was your typical very good Princess crew.

- I was sorry Bert Stratton got off the CB when she left Houston, but the "new guy" Dwight Blake was really very good and had the crowds going. It's been a while since I was on the CB and I forgot how small the "older style" Crooners is. I hope the next refit they can do something to Crooners as if they have a great singer / piano player i board, Crooners is always PACKED...

- Lee Childers is the new CD and I think he did a nice job. As others have said around here, Lee isn't always the most visible CD, but I measure the CD based on the job of the entire CD department, and I thought they did well for a short sailing. The ACD Duke will likely get his own ship in the future.

- I did notice less pool deck servers taking drinks than previously, and the bar lines suffered a little... Like any ship, you need find the right bar...

- MANY took advantage of the Beverage Package... I'd say well more than half of the folks I saw at the bar had the package.

- Pretty good entertainment in the Paizza all day and night long... Vines and the International Cafe were very popular. Princess did a nice job whenever they added those to the CB.

More later, and I know others will chime in. I'll try to answer any questions that pop up on this thread. MY quick summary is that if you know and love Princess and the CB, you won't be disappointed, but the CB isn't new. IT's my third time on the CB, the first time introducing my daughters to the cruising lifestyle, and this most recent voyage to get engaged (yep, I proposed on the CB with the photographers expecting it and blazing away)...

Time to head to the buffet.... (or go to work)

My Pleasure Rob. I'll add some more below..

As for the new cabins, I honestly don't know as I didn't go check.. I am sure someone checked. I believe they were added, but not in use yet as there was a small group of "non-crew" laborers on board and I always seemed to see them walking forward.. So I have a feeling the cabins weren't yet complete... or the workers were working on something else....

What else.... I know most have the Love it/Hate it attitude to the "shopping cart handle" that is the "old style Skywalkers".... Well, we made it up there twice and I do think it's views are better than with the newer Skywalkers...

Here's my quick thoughts as I need to see what I missed at work (unfortunately I was in my office before 8:00 am)

- In looking at the ship, and speaking with several crew, it appears this drydock was a "cleaning and carpet" drydock more than anything else. Lots of "new carpet" fuzz around.

- With the Ruby now in Europe, we saw a lot of crew from our Ruby sailing in March on the CB now.

- Inside of the ship looked good / very good, but not "new".. She is still a great ship.

- In our opinion, it was your typical very good Princess crew.

- I was sorry Bert Stratton got off the CB when she left Houston, but the "new guy" Dwight Blake was really very good and had the crowds going. It's been a while since I was on the CB and I forgot how small the "older style" Crooners is. I hope the next refit they can do something to Crooners as if they have a great singer / piano player i board, Crooners is always PACKED...

- Lee Childers is the new CD and I think he did a nice job. As others have said around here, Lee isn't always the most visible CD, but I measure the CD based on the job of the entire CD department, and I thought they did well for a short sailing. The ACD Duke will likely get his own ship in the future.

- I did notice less pool deck servers taking drinks than previously, and the bar lines suffered a little... Like any ship, you need find the right bar...

- MANY took advantage of the Beverage Package... I'd say well more than half of the folks I saw at the bar had the package.

- Pretty good entertainment in the Paizza all day and night long... Vines and the International Cafe were very popular. Princess did a nice job whenever they added those to the CB.

More later, and I know others will chime in. I'll try to answer any questions that pop up on this thread. MY quick summary is that if you know and love Princess and the CB, you won't be disappointed, but the CB isn't new. IT's my third time on the CB, the first time introducing my daughters to the cruising lifestyle, and this most recent voyage to get engaged (yep, I proposed on the CB with the photographers expecting it and blazing away)...

Time to head to the buffet.... (or go to work)

As for the new cabins, I honestly don't know as I didn't go check.. I am sure someone checked. I believe they were added, but not in use yet as there was a small group of "non-crew" laborers on board and I always seemed to see them walking forward.. So I have a feeling the cabins weren't yet complete... or the workers were working on something else....

What else.... I know most have the Love it/Hate it attitude to the "shopping cart handle" that is the "old style Skywalkers".... Well, we made it up there twice and I do think it's views are better than with the newer Skywalkers...

The addition of the International Café and Vines was done during the dry dock in January 2009.

We agree we prefer the old shopping cart handle style of Skywalkers as the views are just so much better and love the "Travelator" entrance.

- It's my third time on the CB, the first time introducing my daughters to the cruising lifestyle, and this most recent voyage to get engaged (yep, I proposed on the CB with the photographers expecting it and blazing away)...

Congrats Griff! Sounds like your fiancée said "yes"...:D

Thanks for the rundown on what's fresh. We hop on board next week. First cruise from FLL...

Rick

Is Skywalkers accesable to wheelchairs?

Yes, as sminfiddle states it is an incline with a moving sidewalk in the center and ramps to walk on along each side (see photos)

Travelator-1.jpg.1996c6231a8a1de82503e6478dd10e6c.jpg

1519720327_Travelator2.jpg.cf8ec5cc5518dcf3422ba59ea0df8eae.jpg

Thanks Rick. She did say yes. Another reason why the CB is my favorite Princess ship. Unfortunately we're having trouble figuring out a Princess honeymoon and it looks like we may have to hop back over to her favorite line, RCCL.

I guess what was most surprising / disappointing to me was with the drydock they didn't touch her exterior paint at all.

If it's your first sailing out of FLL, what others have said about the port is pretty fair... Princess does not do the best job an embarking, so unless you have a reason to get on early (Chef's Table, something you need to get on early to do) or are Platinum/Elite/Suite, you'll save some frustration by boarding either super early or later (2:00 ish).

I guess my other advice pretty much mirrors what others have said... Princess has "given up" with the stage shows compared to RCCL and the others. They are entertaining, but not great. That's why Crooners was packed as Dwight Blake was really good...

Quick question. Did they upgrade the TVs? I read they were slowly upgrading to the on demand TVs like on the Royal.

Chris

If you're referring to the touch-screen smart-TVs that can do everything except pour your drink.... they did not, at least not in our cabin.

If you're referring to the touch-screen smart-TVs that can do everything except pour your drink.... they did not, at least not in our cabin.

Did you get to see the Mariachis onboard (Los Brillantes)?

Greg

Quick question. Did they upgrade the TVs? I read they were slowly upgrading to the on demand TVs like on the Royal.

Chris

When on the Sapphire in March they said they were only doing it and the Diamond.

No word about the rest of the fleet, unless someone has some more recent news.

Did you get to see the Mariachis onboard (Los Brillantes)?

Greg

We did, and they were very enjoyable. The Boss (who is Spanish) also enjoyed them immensely.

When I said that Greg said Hello, they each said "That guy owes us $100," so I ran.... OK, I really didn't speak with them... I was kinda busy with the proposal and planning (and taking advantage of the beverage package) and keeping the future Mrs. Griff happy..... Sorry... She liked the CB so much that we may get on her next Monday for 5 days....

We did, and they were very enjoyable. The Boss (who is Spanish) also enjoyed them immensely.

When I said that Greg said Hello, they each said "That guy owes us $100," so I ran.... OK, I really didn't speak with them... I was kinda busy with the proposal and planning (and taking advantage of the beverage package) and keeping the future Mrs. Griff happy..... Sorry... She liked the CB so much that we may get on her next Monday for 5 days....

Well many congrats on your upcoming nuptials! And if you are looking to board the CB again--come when she leaves out on 6/21 for 7 days in the Caribbean!

Well many congrats on your upcoming nuptials! And if you are looking to board the CB again--come when she leaves out on 6/21 for 7 days in the Caribbean!

Well maybe... We're looking at your sailing, or on the 28th to hit the Western side of the itinerary...

I know the crew hates short itineraries.... so I fully believe some of the squawks I mentioned will be cleared up when she starts doing 7 day sailings again...

Well maybe... We're looking at your sailing, or on the 28th to hit the Western side of the itinerary...

I know the crew hates short itineraries.... so I fully believe some of the squawks I mentioned will be cleared up when she starts doing 7 day sailings again...

We are on the 28th sailing. Maybe we'll see you there.

Chris

I Love the Old Skywalkers

Chris

Was on the Royal in Nov. the new TV are awesome, a nice catalog of films and shows

thank you for your mini review, look forward to more later