Amsterdam -- Hawaii -- Holiday

Crazy

Tell me something about this ship. Going on the Holiday Cruise. It was rated by Cruise Critic as 3 and I have found that my other cruises with Holland America I thought were great.

I was on the Amsterdam in June and found her perfectly lovely. I can't say that I did backflips for the food, but I'm a bit of a foodie at heart and know what the limitations are when serving 1300! The ship is in fine shape, clean - if a bit gauche like all cruise ships! I'm not sure what concerns you might have, but I suspect you're going to get a lot of positive comments about the Amsterdam.

Hi Crazy,

I am also going to be on the Amsterdam Christmas and New Year's cruise, along with my daughter and granddaughter.

I love the Amsterdam, although honestly I love all the S-Class ships along with the Amsterdam and the Rotterdam.

I was recently on the Ryndam (again) and thoroughly enjoyed all the "Signature of Excellence" upgrades. I'm not exactly a "foodie" since I cruise because I enjoy the cruising experience all around, but I can't think of a really bad meal that I've ever had aboard a HAL ship, with the possible exception of a Kangaroo Steak I had aboard the Prinsendam. Other people enjoyed it - I didn't but it was my fault for ordering it in the first place.

I spent three weeks aboard the Amsterdam a couple of years ago and found her to be a lovely ship. She is beautifully decorated, as are all HAL ships, and the cabins are extremely spacious and comfortable - probably even more so now with the "Signature of Excellence" upgrades.

I think that you will have a wonderful cruise, as long as you understand that we will be having a lot of sea days. I enjoy sea days but a lot of people want to go from port to port to port (yawn).

Have a great cruise - I know that I plan to.

Valerie

Thanks to everyone who responding to my post. I don't mind the days at sea -- I will be ready for some time for "me". I will be retiring after 30 years and am looking forward to this cruise. I have been on Holidays cruises the past two years on Holland America ships and have really enjoyed the experience. After I retire I may try another line, like the Radisson. I had also read that a recent guest did not enjoy the food and I haven't had that problem. I think my Cabin is B6190 -- and I always use American Express in all of my travels.

I am also going to be on the Amsterdam Christmas and New Year's cruise, along with my daughter and granddaughter.

You all have a wonderful cruise ... and please, please take good care of her. I board on January 6th and I can't wait! Never been onboard the Amsterdam before, but from what I've been reading on this board, sounds like we're all in for a wonderful experience!

Blue skies ...

--rita

I enjoy sea days but a lot of people want to go from port to port to port (yawn).

I actually prefer the sea days! Something about a leisurely day at sea ... lots going on aboard the boat, but no requirement to participate in any of it if you don't want to. Pick and choose ... do as you wish ... that's the way I like my cruises!

Blue skies ...

--rita

Looks like I will be on this cruise with you and I'm really looking forward to it! Why don't you start a roll call and get things moving. After the SOE and a time in Hawaii in the week before, I'm sure this will be a wonderfil trip! ;)

Archived