First Solo Cruise - need advice...

LAngle

This was a lovely thread to read.

My condolences to everyone who has been through the loss of their spouse/best friend/traveling partner.

My husband died in Nov 2012 and since then I have traveled a great deal - sometimes on my own, sometimes with my kids but this September will be my first solo cruise. This was a huge decision for me - he LOVED cruises (his nickname was Cruise Ship Bill) and I know it is going to be very hard to do this completely on my own. I've joined the roll call, sharing one excursion that way (luckily they needed one single to complete the group!) and hope that helps me to break the ice and find friendly faces quicker.

There is often such a nice sense of community found on board that I think I will meet plenty of people to chat with and create memories.

I know I will feel overwhelmed at times and miss him terribly, but I miss him all the time, so I might as well be exploring new ports and raising a toast to him while watching the sunset - life is too short and I am still too young to sit at home and wait for others to make plans that fit in with my schedule.

Good luck to the OP and all others dealing with this new situation. And thank you for the encouraging words from those who have been there.

we could say exactly the same to you Estelle, (your words): "Good luck to [you] and all others dealing with this new situation. And thank you for the encouraging words from those who have been there."

you are continuing on, doing something you enjoy and if you or I can do it others can as well.

I agree this is a nice thread. this is what cruise critic should be: supportive and encouraging about cruising.

Edited by cdngrl

This may seem off topic, but I had started a thread on the NCL board about going on a cruise when the birth of my first grandchild is due (long story)...,,anyway, I was really looking for advice and perspectives, and another cruiser said it should be on another thread and another said it was a therapy thread. Well, my thread had over 130 posts in two days. I found it really helpful.....and then a Cruise Critic pulled it! Why did they do that? I fear they'd pull this thread, when clearly it's hit a nerve among so many of us !

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

we could say exactly the same to you Estelle, (your words): "Good luck to [you] and all others dealing with this new situation. And thank you for the encouraging words from those who have been there."

you are continuing on, doing something you enjoy and if you or I can do it others can as well.

I agree this is a nice thread. this is what cruise critic should be: supportive and encouraging about cruising.

Thanks very much! Since I don't have any friends or family in the same situation as me (becoming a widow while in my 40s) I have found lots of support and help using online help groups - not that I expect the exact same thing on Cruise Critic - but I know I can't be the only one facing these questions of how to move forward doing something that we both loved so much and had become such a part of our lives.

Happy Sailing!

This may seem off topic, but I had started a thread on the NCL board about going on a cruise when the birth of my first grandchild is due (long story)...,,anyway, I was really looking for advice and perspectives, and another cruiser said it should be on another thread and another said it was a therapy thread. Well, my thread had over 130 posts in two days. I found it really helpful.....and then a Cruise Critic pulled it! Why did they do that? I fear they'd pull this thread, when clearly it's hit a nerve among so many of us !

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

No idea why they would have pulled your previous thread but since this one is on the "Solo Cruisers" board it really is completely on topic.

Edited by Estelle

My sympathies to you in the loss of your husband. I just lost mine in May 2013 and am going on my first solo cruise this month. I am wondering how it will all work out. I am traveling from Tampa, FL to CA on Carnival Legend on Aug. 17 with my sister and then she is returning home from CA. I am traveling on to Australia, a 25 day cruise, and then a 2 week land tour of Australia and New Zeeland. I am hoping all goes well, I am expecting the best and planning on having a good time. At the same time, I am also a little apprehensive about the whole thing.

My husband and I started cruising in 1978 and have done many cruises, this is surely going to be different, but different is not always bad.

I hope we both have a great time.

Best wishes to you.

My sympathies to you in the loss of your husband. I just lost mine in May 2013 and am going on my first solo cruise this month. I am wondering how it will all work out. I am traveling from Tampa, FL to CA on Carnival Legend on Aug. 17 with my sister and then she is returning home from CA. I am traveling on to Australia, a 25 day cruise, and then a 2 week land tour of Australia and New Zeeland. I am hoping all goes well, I am expecting the best and planning on having a good time. At the same time, I am also a little apprehensive about the whole thing.

My husband and I started cruising in 1978 and have done many cruises, this is surely going to be different, but different is not always bad.

I hope we both have a great time.

Best wishes to you.

All my sympathies to you too. Sounds like an amazing trip - congratulations to you on taking this step! Australia and New Zealand are definitely on my bucket list, but will have to wait for retirement.

This may not be the case with everyone, but I think that many of us that were used to traveling/cruising with our spouses and built up so many memories and just enjoyed it so much are unwilling to let this part of our life disappear too. If we can afford it and are healthy enough and have the time - why shouldn't we cruise on our own?

I have friends that have always been single and have never traveled on their own and are shocked and amazed that I can do it - it's not always easy but so much has changed and will never be the same - I just feel that I need to keep some of our favorite things going forward even if I am only sharing it with him in my head now.

Good luck and happy sailings to everyone who posted on this thread!

Estelle and Southern Lady, I fully understand. I lost my husband in June 2013 and we so enjoyed cruising. Before he passed away, I had set up a cruise for my son and his family for October. My husband didn't want to go, but that was ok. I did not cancel that cruise because I needed it and so did the kids.

This will be my first 'solo' cruise. Like you, I know I will have my moments (I still do), but since I know it's normal, I will get over it.

We move forward as our husbands would want us..

Have fun....

Ann, you are so right!

I too have friends that could not understand how I can go by myself and yet, I never gave it a second thought of why not.

Maybe because we are never really "alone" crazy as that may sound. I'm not a religious person but I feel Bill with me all the time and I will continue to do the things that made us happy for me and in his memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My hubby and I have been on 22 cruises, most on RCCL, and loved cruising very much, fitting in 2 a year in last few years.

My husband has recently passed away and I have an 8-nt. cruise that we had booked a while back on the Explorer Dec. 27th. After reading many posts here, I really want to try sailing solo. I know it'll be sad but it will also bring back a lot of great memories.

My question: should I keep the 8-nt cruise or switch to a 5-night? Those of you with experience with this situation, please let me know if shorter might be better for a first solo cruise.

I know I want to continue cruising, I'm just not sure about this first cruise alone. Thanks for any input and advice you might have.

I am so sorry for your loss. My husband passed away last year, and the first cruise without him even though a friend was with me - was tough. But it gets better and I am trying my first solo cruise in January. Living in Florida, there are amazing bargains every day within a 2 hour drive of me, so I'm sure I'll try other cruises solo as well.

And I agree - keep the 8 night! The shorter cruises have a whole different vibe.