Alaska State Fair

chaperonemom

I saw that the state fair is running during our pre-cruise time in Alaska. For any of you that may have experienced this, is this worth the time to visit?

I love our fair!! Whether it's worth it or not depends on your interest...

There's always a display of locally grown produce, including 100 pound cabbages. Depending on the day, there's often Alaska Native dance groups performing. The fair grounds are surrounded by the Chugach & Talkeetna mountains so the view is great. There's a ton of great food booths.

It can get crowded on the weekends, especially if the weather is nice. It's less crowded earlier in the day usually.

So again, I'm pretty biased, but I would say, it's worth your time. But maybe that depends on how much pre-cruise time you have and what activity you might have to skip to free up time for the fair.

And in case you haven't seen it, here's their website: http://www.alaskastatefair.org/site/

We will be in the area POST cruise and staying at a B&B nearby, anyway. I asked the owner about the fair when I made the reservations on the phone, and told her we are from the Midwest and love fairs. She said to think of it more like one of our county fairs, not like the Iowa state fair.

We are planning on renting a car and driving out to the Fair. Are there things for kids to do there? Or is it really just a place to eat?
Things for kids?? Heavens yes! Look at the animals and pet some, rides in the amusement park, pig races...

It's actually a fairly average state fair - pie contests, shows, booths selling knickknacks and Ginsu knives, stuff like that. But it also has cabbages the size of Toyotas.

Look at the pictures from 2013 for some ideas.

I love our fair!! Whether it's worth it or not depends on your interest...

There's always a display of locally grown produce, including 100 pound cabbages. Depending on the day, there's often Alaska Native dance groups performing. The fair grounds are surrounded by the Chugach & Talkeetna mountains so the view is great. There's a ton of great food booths.

It can get crowded on the weekends, especially if the weather is nice. It's less crowded earlier in the day usually.

So again, I'm pretty biased, but I would say, it's worth your time. But maybe that depends on how much pre-cruise time you have and what activity you might have to skip to free up time for the fair.

And in case you haven't seen it, here's their website: http://www.alaskastatefair.org/site/

I sure didn't mean to come across so calloused! If we were to miss the fair, I would hate to hear from somebody later that it was a highlight event and we missed it! I appreciate your feedback!!! We have 5 pre-cruise days, 2 in Denali.

Things for kids?? Heavens yes! Look at the animals and pet some, rides in the amusement park, pig races...

It's actually a fairly average state fair - pie contests, shows, booths selling knickknacks and Ginsu knives, stuff like that. But it also has cabbages the size of Toyotas.

You made me laugh! Do people eat those giant cabbages?

Thanks! We don't really have much like this in Hawaii. We have a carnival in lieu of a state fair.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I think it is a great fair and you should see it at least once. You can drive out to the fair or take a train each way. While in the Mat Su Valley you can also see many other sights, Musk Ox Farm, Matanuska Glacier, for example.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app