REVIEW: Summit 5/11 - 5/18 Bermuda (LONG)

JEDIKNIGHT

We like the Summit so much we are doing the repo cruise in Oct and again sailing out of San Juan in Feb. This will make 4 cruises on the Summit. We do not like buffets in general. Our last 2 cruises on the Summit were in AQ which solved the breakfast problem since we ate in Blu. However, our next 2 cruises are not since we just thought a change was in order. However, for lunch I usually go to the spa cafe and DH goes to the panini station or pizza and then we meet at a table by the pool. Having a light lunch allows me to enjoy the afternoon tea selections and the sushi at 5:30. We had the drink package last cruise and discovered Cafe al Bacio for a morning latte. The croissants there are outstanding, actually too good. The new system at the buffet sounds discouraging. I heard someone say that if you get there later the food is hot. The first arrivals are getting food that was put out about a 1/2 hour before opening. Our 2014 cruise was even better than the 2013. The new captain was great, the officers were very visible, the entertainment top notch. I am sorry to hear the a Capella groups have been eliminated. We always enjoyed them very much. However, we always have a great cruise, after all we are on vacation!

Thanks for your very entertaining and even handed review! Our family is similar to yours in age and travel style- we were in PH 6148 on the Constellation in March, with our 2 young sons and our nanny down the hall. Agreed that the cabin and balcony were fantastic. We didn't enjoy the buffet either. We did breakfast at the dining table in the cabin and after a few days ended up ordering burgers and hot dogs for lunch from room service and eating at the big table on the balcony. I felt a little silly spending so much time in the cabin/on our balcony, but was grateful to have the option to do so.

Thanks for your very entertaining and even handed review! Our family is similar to yours in age and travel style- we were in PH 6148 on the Constellation in March, with our 2 young sons and our nanny down the hall. Agreed that the cabin and balcony were fantastic. We didn't enjoy the buffet either. We did breakfast at the dining table in the cabin and after a few days ended up ordering burgers and hot dogs for lunch from room service and eating at the big table on the balcony. I felt a little silly spending so much time in the cabin/on our balcony, but was grateful to have the option to do so.

Good idea.

Hopefully I’m wrong, but I’ve concluded that pax will ‘accept’ the cattle-treatment at the buffet and therefore, Celebrity will continue this stuff.

Next time we’ll utilize room service via the Butler much more. Looking back I should’ve had a full lunch on our balcony every day, and made special requests of the Butler i.e. cold cuts one day, BBQ the next, and so on.

I also have high hopes for this new ‘suite dining room’ they are planning for next year. While not a buffet, I hope it’s a good lunch venue.

And congrats on DD’s 18 btw.

My DD just turned 6 and it’s tearing me up inside. The last night of our cruise it was just her on my lap, on the dark balcony outside and I was telling her how even when mommy or daddy get mad, we love her and if she’s ever in trouble, we will help her. She was just smiling and sort of digesting it.

Nowadays I can’t even watch movies where a girl is getting married.

It's amazing how quickly time has flown by! Three years ago when we started planning/talking about this cruise, for her 18th and our 20th anniversary (just celebrated last week) we had always said she could invite a friend as a birthday present. Had no idea, she would be bringing a boyfriend! I keep preparing my husband, and reminding him that we started dating when I was 16, so to try to chillax. I am re-thinking the same offer for our son and his 18th bday cruise. So far his only request is to cruise somewhere the drinking age is 18, so I guess Europe or South America it is! Started the research for July 2016.

We are not a big fan of buffets anyways. We don't usually expect too much, I always feel like we are in a cafeteria. We know that we will be spending the majority of our day on our balcony on our sea days (sole purpose of booking this suite) Breakfast and lunch will be room service. We are traveling with family, the kids (5 of them) will go off and eat where ever they wish and the adults (6 of us) will spend breakfast and lunch on the balcony. I am so looking forward to this cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Loved reading your review... You do have a great sense of humor, but don't all fat men? (only kidding there Jediknight) I really truly felt it! can't wait for my date in the MDR... Hope I experience it the same way! so looking forward to some good food and choices! Hate hearing how the buffet is, But now since you have warned us all, we need to put on our tool belts so we can stash what we need to go with what...( like get the butter first before the waffles) Each member in the family fill up a plate for all of us, and than tick the people off behind us, since we are getting more than one serving. and have a meeting place.

This is our first time on X and we had heard so many great things about all of the ship, I'm sure our cruise will be great, a vacation is what you make it! Our AC had better work cause my husband just isn't wide he's BIG and they sure don't need to change a mattress every morning, never mind the sheets, were in a CC H.C. aft facing, But again thanks for the great Well written review. by the way how was your weather in Burmuda? warm enough for a swim at the beach? Any one get some nice color? leaving on Sunday!

Weather was fine. A little rain, but crew told us we were lucky because it usually rains more. We didn’t swim in ocean but I did notice some parents and kids in the water so I guess that means it’s ok. As far as color, due to my parent’s origin, we’re already sort of down with the brown :) but yes it was good tanning sun.