TAs Weather...

landre1020

Gorgeous, sunny and warm days, I hope, as we are on a July TA also. Actually, you never know what storms could appear, how cool it might get or how strong the wind could be; it's the luck of the draw but we have a good chance of nice weather in the summer.

Gorgeous, sunny and warm days, I hope

I didn't know Cunard now did crossings to Fantasyland. :rolleyes:

I was on a westbound crossing August 2011. Middle three days teeming with rain, balcony flooded, waves above the windows in the lower level of Britannia, sweater weather until the afternoon before arrival in Brooklyn. And I wouldn't have had it any other way.

My May 2013 crossing was tame by comparison; shrouded in fog, temperatures barely above 45F.

A crossing is meant to be an adventure--including having QM2's mettle tested by the weather. If you are expecting to lie about in the sun, book the Caribbean.

Edited by fishywood

OK, experts! What can I expect, in general, for temps, etc on a TA in July?

TIA!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The North Atlantic weather is at best unpredictable as you have been advised. Inside the ship you will perfectly comfortable in normal clothes such as a polo and trousers. Once on deck your needs might be different, layers of clothing are the oft recommended answer to inclement weather. It is seldom horrible but around the Grand Banks there is a 70% chance of fog or sea mist. My advice would be to expect the best but prepare for the worst :)

The answer is no one knows. It could be nice, rainy, warm, cloudy, or cool and the same goes for the seas.

History means nothing.

Also remember that even during the voyage the weather can change back and forth.

Keith

Fog every day when I did a TA in July 2007. My travelling companion was wakened early every morning by the foghorn (I was surprised they still depended on them in these days of radar, GPS etc) Some days you couldn't see the sea. I saw more sun on my Dec 2012 crossing though we had a few rough sea days then whereas the July crossing was calm all the way.

Hope you have better luck.

Edited by canny_cruiser

Fog every day when I did a TA in July 2007. My travelling companion was wakened early every morning by the foghorn (I was surprised they still depended on them in these days of radar, GPS etc) Some days you couldn't see the sea. I saw more sun on my Dec 2012 crossing though we had a few rough sea days then whereas the July crossing was calm all the way.

Hope you have better luck.

required by international law. However, smaller vessels may not have radar and fiberglass hulls don't paint that well on ship's radar. If you listen carefully on deck you'll also hear bells and gongs on buoys. Sailors familiar with the waters, particularly fishermen, can tell their location just by the bells and gongs and their tone. On the QM2 you'd hope for fog anyway. The Starboard whistle on the stack is from the original Queen Mary. It's tone is b flat, famous for being distinctive at sea. The QM2 doesn't generate enough steam to sound it, so they use compressed air. But the NA who designed the QM, added a supplemental steam supply to the arrangement so that it blows steam to simulate the original. The port whistle is a replica.

Besides, even the sophisticated electronics fail when you most need them. I remember the QE2 hitting a rock leaving NY because the antenna plug from the GPS had fallen out. There was also her holing off of Block Island back in the early 90s.

BTW, no matter how bad it sounds on the QM2, we had about a 2 degree roll leaving England that caused havoc one formal night, the first QM was much worse. There were no stabilizers in those days.

The original QM rolled 45 degrees each way in heavy seas. Worse, she had a tendency to hang at for long periods of time at 45 degrees, like she was making up her mind whether to right or not. Those must have been exciting North Atlantic adventures.

By way of compensation, the Normandie had better righting moment, but it was overdone, and she "snapped" back upright at a disorienting, plate launching speed. the effects in heavy seas was a kind of snappy corkscrew ride because she also had too narrow an entry and tended to dig in.

Edited by rhkennerly

The crossing could be like the British weather. :eek: It could be four seasons in one day.

So true. Last Thursdays crossing was one of those days and also whichever side of the ship you are on can be yet another season:p

Tip pack clothes you can layer then it's easier to be comfortable any place you may be.

Yes, I was really surprised to learn how much they still rely on actual "visuals" as opposed to electronics.

Thanks for your interesting post.

required by international law. However, smaller vessels may not have radar and fiberglass hulls don't paint that well on ship's radar. If you listen carefully on deck you'll also hear bells and gongs on buoys. Sailors familiar with the waters, particularly fishermen, can tell their location just by the bells and gongs and their tone. On the QM2 you'd hope for fog anyway. The Starboard whistle on the stack is from the original Queen Mary. It's tone is b flat, famous for being distinctive at sea. The QM2 doesn't generate enough steam to sound it, so they use compressed air. But the NA who designed the QM, added a supplemental steam supply to the arrangement so that it blows steam to simulate the original. The port whistle is a replica.

Besides, even the sophisticated electronics fail when you most need them. I remember the QE2 hitting a rock leaving NY because the antenna plug from the GPS had fallen out. There was also her holing off of Block Island back in the early 90s.

BTW, no matter how bad it sounds on the QM2, we had about a 2 degree roll leaving England that caused havoc one formal night, the first QM was much worse. There were no stabilizers in those days.

The original QM rolled 45 degrees each way in heavy seas. Worse, she had a tendency to hang at for long periods of time at 45 degrees, like she was making up her mind whether to right or not. Those must have been exciting North Atlantic adventures.

By way of compensation, the Normandie had better righting moment, but it was overdone, and she "snapped" back upright at a disorienting, plate launching speed. the effects in heavy seas was a kind of snappy corkscrew ride because she also had too narrow an entry and tended to dig in.