Whittier Glacier cruise - Major Marine or 26 glaciers?

stilley9

Hi - I have now officially reached the stage of my vacation planning, where i am overthinking every decision, so please humor me for one quick question. The day our boat leaves from Whittier at 9 pm, we're going to do a glacier cruise from Whittier. We're currently scheduled on the Major Marine Blackstone cruise, but now I'm wondering if I should switch it to the 26 Glacier cruise by Phillips (I think)?

We are doing a wildlife cruise by Major Marine the day before out of Seward, so I'm just wondering if we'll have a better experience going with a different company, different meal, etc. So if you've been on both of them, which is your favorite and why?

And if you've only been on one, will you tell me if you loved it or not?

Thanks in advance!

Hi - I have now officially reached the stage of my vacation planning, where i am overthinking every decision, so please humor me for one quick question. The day our boat leaves from Whittier at 9 pm, we're going to do a glacier cruise from Whittier. We're currently scheduled on the Major Marine Blackstone cruise, but now I'm wondering if I should switch it to the 26 Glacier cruise by Phillips (I think)?

We are doing a wildlife cruise by Major Marine the day before out of Seward, so I'm just wondering if we'll have a better experience going with a different company, different meal, etc. So if you've been on both of them, which is your favorite and why?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, we did this cruise last July with Major Marine. They had buy one get one free coupons in the Northern Lights coupon book that we bought through Barnes and Noble. The cruise was wonderful. The 2 companies docks are right next to each other and a very short walk from the ship. The salmon meal was the best! We had a wonderful trip and great Captain and staff. To be honest, before learning of the available coupon, I had called 26 glaciers. They actually told me to book with the ship (Island Princess) since they sold a cruise ship tour! Well, that was when I found out about the buy 1 get 1 free coupon (not for the meal though) on these boards. There was a coupon for Seward as well with Major Marine. Hopefully these coupons are still out there this year. When booking, I called and they only charged for 1 and we presented the coupon when we arrived for our cruise. (ours was the Surprise Glacier cruise)

Edited by sept10dsm

Thanks in advance!

I had that same choice last year when we purchased last minute tickets at the booth. Both boats are on the same dock, so we weighed the 2 evenly. Both had excellent reviews and I knew we would love either one.

Ultimately, we chose 26 Glaciers for several reasons. One, it was a much nicer boat. Two, it was a longer cruise. And three, because it was a much faster boat. The speed is pertinent because it means you get to see more. I liked the 26 Glaciers route better than Major's.

The meal on 26 Glaciers was Halibut fish and chips. But that was June...I don't know if it changes to salmon when salmon season starts.

Good luck on your choice. Whichever one you choose, you're going to love it.