Excursions with a Scooter

Lilly, not tired of answering questions . Glad to be of assistance and that you find the information helpful.

Pat

Meet & Mingle Registration link : https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do

Viewing your Seapass bill on TV in your cabin : yes it can be done. it's easy to do after turning on the cabin TV

This is great, I don't want ANY surprises at the end of the trip.sigh.gif

Ordering multiple entrees :

MDR : Yes you can do it. Yes you can order several Lobster Tails. The Lobster Tail is severed on the second formal night and it's listed on the menu as the Fisherman's Platter. Generally always order several entrees especially when traveling with friends as it's a fun way to taste new things. However I ask politely that only order what you plan to eat. Waste is terrible thing even on cruise ship. NO NO! We're not barbarians! Never would we do that!

Specialty Restaurants : Only one entrée is allowed but you can order multiples of all the other itemsFUN!

Windjammer : It's a Buffet so certainly you can take multiple entrees. In the evening the Windjammer will serve some of the same menu items as served in the MDR that night. However items such as Lobster, Prime Rib and peeled shrimp will not be served in the Windjammer only the MDR. Cuts of meat served are most likely "Choice" not Prime. For Prime Cuts you'll have to go to the Chops Grille Specialty Restaurant. Or order the Chops Grille Steak listed on the MDR room menu each night and pay a fee ... thinks it's $14.95.

I figured that the Windjammer did not have prime rib but in one of the many videos we watched, some guy was going through the Windjammer holding a plate with a prime rib on it, so we wondered. Also, they show a carving station, so I was wondering what they were carving. The videos are not real clear.

Healthy Food : Basically speaking healthy food items can be found at most all food venues. However the Solarium Bistro and the Vitality Spa Café are specifically geared toward healthier food options.

Making Ice Tea

• No Microwaves in cabin and none provided on ship for passenger use.
  • Believe only Grand Suites and above have a tea kettle for hot water.
  • You can order pots of hot water from room service. Hot water for tea can also be obtained from the Promenade Café which is open 24 hours. Also from the Windjammer.
  • Ice just ask your room attendant. He/she will provide it on a daily basis upon request.
  • Perfect:)

Internet Packages - only one person can sign into the package at a time. You can only sign in if your Daughter is not signed in. No problem ... just checking

Taking food back to cabins - Yes this is allowed and is a common practice Also remember the Promenade Café is open 24 hours for the late night snack craving. Is taking a plate of desserts or something else from the Windjammer common practice?? That seems crazy, but it's nice in case you want something for later.

Buffets at other food venues:

MDR

• Breakfast there is both menu service and a Cereal, Fruit and Yogurt Buffet in the MDR.
  • At lunch on sea days there is also menu service as well as a Salad Bar Buffet. There is peeled shrimp on the salad buffet in the MDR at lunch only. It's wonderful ! I always get some shrimp to bring back to the table prior to ordering from the menu.YUM SHRIMP

Solarium Bistro

• There is a small buffet served during breakfast and lunch which is free. Also at dinner but dinner service has a fee.

Park Café

• Breakfast - yogurt bar
  • Lunch - salad bar

Wow, so much info and things I didn't find on CC when looking. However, it's easy to get lost in CC and read on and on about things you weren't really looking for. How often do you cruise? You are certainly well versed about the whole process. We are trying to figure out our packing now. We haven't flown for years so I wasn't aware that there is a weight limit on luggage and that they charge you for luggage!!! Last time I flew, you just checked your luggage and there was NO FEE! I'm a little nervous about that. We planned on taking 4 normal to large sized suitcases along with 2 carry-ons, plus a purse for me and another bag for my daughter to set between her feet.

Seems like everything is "extra" these days and nothing you think is "all inclusive" really is. My daughter is going to do the Flow Rider, but I think it bites that it costs extra. June 14 last year, it was a free activity!!:eek:

We also read about "game shows" that are held on the ice rink at certain times. That sounds like something we might like. Do you know anything about it? Like what games they have or other things like that? We saw they have miniature golf, but my back would kill me if I tried to do that.

We are getting excited now that we have less than a week left to wait.:

Just read your very last post....daughter says when we get to the cabin, she'll practice until she gets the scooter assembling/disassembling down pat. It did look easy, but if you don't have a video with you when you get to a taxi, it could be annoying for the driver. She's very intelligent, she'll manage.

She just saw online where you can rent cell phones for $30/ea but they are limited, first come first serve.

We really need to get those!

Edited by Blueeyed Banditti

ATTN: Lilly

Packing - I only travel using a 18" carry-on and a small tote pack. Also note that I'm a plus size woman. Here's how I do it:

• each item packed must be able to be worn with 2 other items.
  • No longer pack formal clothes. Rather pack a nice pair of black slacks and a black top. Than accessorize up or down using scarfs and or jewelry. Same outfit is worn on both formal nights.
  • only 3 pairs of shoes , 1 pair worn on plane, other 2 packed.
  • Do not pack purses. The small tote bag doubles as purse if need
  • if needed I rinse out items in the room, they'll be dry by the next morning.

Unless you and daughter really enjoying dressing up formally really just a nice outfit that you're comfortable wearing works nicely. There will be a mixed bag of dress each night so don't over think it. RCCL does not have mandatory dress it's only a "Suggested Dress Code". No matter how much one packs statistically 20%-25% is never worn or needed. You can certain wear things twice including formal night.

Flowrider, Zipline,and Rock Climbing are all free. If your daughter wants private Flowrider lessons than their is a charge.

Ice Arena Game Show Quest is the adult game played in the ice arena . It's quite fun even if only to watch. Just check the Daily Compass each day as not certain which day it is. Another good game shows is the Love and Marriage Game that's in the main theater. Again check your Daily Compass

Rental Cell Phone - The program is Royal Connect and it can only be used to stay in touch between you and your Daughter on board ship. You're not able to make other cell phone calls. There's a limited amounted and they rent out very fast and there's a hefty deposit required in addition to the rental fee. Personally I would suggest just leaving messages on your cabin door or on the phone in the cabin and saving the money. If you had a large family group than it might be worth it but it's your decision. If you want one than you need to search it out the first thing after boarding otherwise you won't get one. You need to ask RCCL staff as to location to go to rent one.

Edited by xxoocruiser

How often do you cruise?

Started cruising back in the early eighties. Try to take at least one a year and depending on cost some years 2. Most of information I've given is actually posted on RCCL's website so it really has nothing to do how long one has been cruising rather how well a person can navigate the website.

We planned on taking 4 normal to large sized suitcases along with 2 carry-ons, plus a purse for me and another bag for my daughter to set between her feet.

In my opinion way too much luggage even for a 2 week cruise . Mid week during both legs of your cruise you'll receive a Laundry special $25.00 for everything that can be stuffed into the bag. It's just wash, dry and fold no pressing. Great for undergarments ,everyday slacks/shorts and T's. Don't let the size of the bag fool you . If you tightly roll item a lot can be stuffed into the bag. Also refer to packing in my previous point.

Edited by xxoocruiser

attn: Lilly

packing - i only travel using a 18" carry-on and a small tote pack. Also note that i'm a plus size woman. Here's how i do it:

• each item packed must be able to be worn with 2 other items.
  • no longer pack formal clothes. Rather pack a nice pair of black slacks and a black top. Than accessorize up or down using scarfs and or jewelry. Same outfit is worn on both formal nights.
  • only 3 pairs of shoes , 1 pair worn on plane, other 2 packed.
  • do not pack purses. The small tote bag doubles as purse if need
  • if needed i rinse out items in the room, they'll be dry by the next morning.

unless you and daughter really enjoying dressing up formally really just a nice outfit that you're comfortable wearing works nicely. There will be a mixed bag of dress each night so don't over think it. Rccl does not have mandatory dress it's only a "suggested dress code". No matter how much one packs statistically 20%-25% is never worn or needed. You can certain wear things twice including formal night.

flowrider, zipline,and rock climbing are all free. if your daughter wants private flowrider lessons than their is a charge.

ice arena game show quest is the adult game played in the ice arena . It's quite fun even if only to watch. Just check the daily compass each day as not certain which day it is. Another good game shows is the love and marriage game that's in the main theater. Again check your daily compass.

sounds fun

rental cell phone - the program is royal connect and it can only be used to stay in touch between you and your daughter on board ship. You're not able to make other cell phone calls. There's a limited amounted and they rent out very fast and there's a hefty deposit required in addition to the rental fee. Personally i would suggest just leaving messages on your cabin door or on the phone in the cabin and saving the money. If you had a large family group than it might be worth it but it's your decision. If you want one than you need to search it out the first thing after boarding otherwise you won't get one. You need to ask rccl staff as to location to go to rent one.it would be more of a convenience/safety thing for us. My daughter, no doubt, will be running down to get this or that during evenings in the cabin. Of course we are not sure of anything yet, including how we will spend the evenings. We might find we will love to go to the different shows or we might find them cheesy and boring....or too painful for me to sit that long. When we go to the mall or target, etc. And i sit in a scooter for 2 hours, i am in extreme pain for the rest of the day/evening.

I want her to have a great time, so i plan to do what i can to do anything and everything i can possibly do that she might be interested in.

Anyway, if she wants to run down to get something from one of the eateries in the evening, we both would feel better if she had a phone

to be in touch with me if needed. She also may have to run ahead to check out what the situation is for taxis, excursions, beach accessibility, etc.

I think the phone might be a good idea for us.

started cruising back in the early eighties. Try to take at least one a year and depending on cost some years 2. Most of information i've given is actually posted on rccl's website so it really has nothing to do how long one has been cruising rather how well a person can navigate the website.

In my opinion way too much luggage even for a 2 week cruise . Mid week during both legs of your cruise you'll receive a laundry special $25.00 for everything that can be stuffed into the bag. It's just wash, dry and fold no pressing. Great for undergarments ,everyday slacks/shorts and t's. Don't let the size of the bag fool you . If you tightly roll item a lot can be stuffed into the bag. Also refer to packing in my previous point.

yes, you are probably right. I don't know what will happen with the clothes/luggage thing. My daughter, who is going to medical school in the fall, is a little fashionista. She has a million outfits and just as many shoes.

She loves "dressing up" and has had her head buried in books for the past 4 years in pre-med that i think she's pretty excited to have time and the occasion to wear some of her many neglected items.

She's done almost nothing but study for her regular pre-med classes, studying for, and taking, the mcat, doing research, shadowing surgeons, and volunteering at the hospital for 4 years. All the things absolutely essential to be accepted into medical school. She was accepted, being one of 5% of 5000+ applicants.

This cruise is for her to take a deep breath, live a normal existence, and just "be normal" before she dives head first into at least 4 years of intense medical study. They say medical school is like "trying to take a drink out of a fire hose." ;) i just can't bring myself to say, you don't need to take this or that." i'll take less than i planned, but she might wear 2 outfits a day,at least. She has all her outfits picked out, what heels, sandals, match them and what earrings, etc. That match. It's a girly-girl thing. :o

:):):) Edited by Blueeyed Banditti
added

it would be more of a convenience/safety thing for us. My daughter, no doubt, will be running down to get this or that during evenings in the cabin. Of course we are not sure of anything yet, including how we will spend the evenings. We might find we will love to go to the different shows or we might find them cheesy and boring....or too painful for me to sit that long. When we go to the mall or target, etc. And i sit in a scooter for 2 hours, i am in extreme pain for the rest of the day/evening.

I want her to have a great time, so i plan to do what i can to do anything and everything i can possibly do that she might be interested in.

Anyway, if she wants to run down to get something from one of the eateries in the evening, we both would feel better if she had a phone

to be in touch with me if needed. She also may have to run ahead to check out what the situation is for taxis, excursions, beach accessibility, etc.

I think the phone might be a good idea for us.

Regarding the Rented Phones - Go back and re-read Post 27 as I already stated that the phones could only be for onboard use. No other cell phone calls could be done. The rented phones are similar to an IPhone they are programed they do not allow you to make regular cell phone calls . There program for specific on board use operates only within a certain distance from the main base on the ship. Once off the ship and out of the range of the main base the phones don't work. Believe the rented phone is NOT going to be of any use to you and your daughter once in port . Of course things may have change so you need to ask if it can be used in port and if so will there be additional charges incurred . Otherwise your daughter is not going to be able to run ahead to check out the situation for taxis, excursions, beach accessibility etc. and than call you on the rented phone as it won't work. You're most likely are going to have to plan on using your own personal cell phones for that provided you have international service.

Also if you're back in the cabin and your daughter wants to get check on you at any time there are phones all throughout the ship ( just like in hotels) that your daughter can use to call you.

In the end it's your decision . Do as you please but know it will not provide the services you're hoping for while in port.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Dear Blueeyed Banditti:

Keep in mind that the staterooms have only so much space for all the luggage your bring. If you bring too much stuff you will have a hard time to find a place to put it all (including the suitcases). I have cruised about 200 days and each time I bring less "stuff" and it works out better for me and my husband. Do yourself a favour and try to cut down on the luggage. It's also a hassle trying to get it all into a taxi and into the airport etc.

Hope you and your daughter have a wonderful time.

Wendy

Edited by mexico8

Regarding the Rented Phones - Go back and re-read Post 27 as I already stated that the phones could only be for onboard use. No other cell phone calls could be done. The rented phones are similar to an IPhone they are programed they do not allow you to make regular cell phone calls . There program for specific on board use operates only within a certain distance from the main base on the ship. Once off the ship and out of the range of the main base the phones don't work. Believe the rented phone is NOT going to be of any use to you and your daughter once in port . Of course things may have change so you need to ask if it can be used in port and if so will there be additional charges incurred . Otherwise your daughter is not going to be able to run ahead to check out the situation for taxis, excursions, beach accessibility etc. and than call you on the rented phone as it won't work. You're most likely are going to have to plan on using your own personal cell phones for that provided you have international service.

Also if you're back in the cabin and your daughter wants to get check on you at any time there are phones all throughout the ship ( just like in hotels) that your daughter can use to call you.

In the end it's your decision . Do as you please but know it will not provide the services you're hoping for while in port.

Well goodness! I had NO IDEA they had phones placed around the ship.:rolleyes:

I WAS thinking of mostly on board use, but if she needs to call the cabin, she can use a ship phone. Are there quite a few phones for this use? Since we are new to all of this, I hate to think of her going down to get something, needing to ask me a question and then searching high and low for a phone.

I assume the ship phones are mostly for connecting to the cabins, so would you just dial the cabin number? I assume they have directions on the phones.

I had no intention on using our own phones. We don't need any surprise charges when we get our monthly bill from Verizon! :eek:

We are going to jot down your step by step instructions for breaking down the scooter. In the event the internet isn't great and getting to the youtube video is slow or not doable, we still have your very precise instructions.

You've been a lifesaver Pat.friaresmilley.gif

I will probably have more dumb questions before we fly out Friday am.

Dear Blueeyed Banditti:

Keep in mind that the staterooms have only so much space for all the luggage your bring. If you bring too much stuff you will have a hard time to find a place to put it all (including the suitcases). I have cruised about 200 days and each time I bring less "stuff" and it works out better for me and my husband. Do yourself a favour and try to cut down on the luggage. It's also a hassle trying to get it all into a taxi and into the airport etc.

Hope you and your daughter have a wonderful time.

Wendy

Thanks Wendy, I've been thinking about the size of the cabin versus the size of 4 suitcases, plus carry-ons etc. It would be annoying to try to get to something and not have room to move around. I guess we will try to eliminate at least one suitcase. Thanks for the "good wishes." :)

Are there quite a few phones for this use? Since we are new to all of this, I hate to think of her going down to get something, needing to ask me a question and then searching high and low for a phone.

I assume the ship phones are mostly for connecting to the cabins, so would you just dial the cabin number? I assume they have directions on the phones.

There's generally a couple of phones on all public decks. She will also be able to make a call to the cabin by going to Guest Services. All your daughter has to do is ask any RCCL staff and they will point her in the direct. Think you just dial the cabin number but check with Guest Services or your Cabin attendant.

There's generally a couple of phones on all public decks. She will also be able to make a call to the cabin by going to Guest Services. All your daughter has to do is ask any RCCL staff and they will point her in the direct. Think you just dial the cabin number but check with Guest Services or your Cabin attendant.

Thanks! :)

Bon Voyage ! Enjoy ! :)

Please post when you return as to how things went while on the cruise.

THANKS PAT ~ You've been a terrific help. I will definitely post when we return. Since I plan I getting the internet package, I might post while on the trip. Thanks a million! Lily

• 3 weeks later...

balloons.gif

We returned Saturday PM from our Eastern/Western B2B on RCCI, Oasis of the Seas. It was F A N T A S T I C! ♥

I am convinced---even though there were a few negatives---that cruising is the ONLY way to travel! ♥

xxoocruiser was so informative and patient with my many questions before hand. I felt very informed and at ease.♥

I had the Go=Go Elite Traveller. What a spunky little scooter! My daughter was quickly acclimated to "dis-assembler of the scooter." The men in Jamaica were astounded at how quickly she took it from the taxi van in pieces, and assembled it. Then broke it down again when we left the beach. They were applauding her, talking loudly, and calling their friends over to watch her in action. It was pretty funny.♥

PAT - I was amazed at how many places RC had installed ramps to enable the disabled. ♥

I will probably write a cruise review of our trip. I'm excited to do many more cruises in the near future. My daughter will begin med school in August and is waiting for the yearly schedule to be posted online. She will have several breaks her first and second years, then not much more for quite some time.

I hope we can do either a Mediterranean cruise, European, or one including Greece. I have a lot of researching to do. We had a GREAT time! I can't wait for the next trip. I cannot imagine cruising alone however Pat, how do you do it? If you'd like to PM me, we can chat.♥

I just wanted everyone who encouraged me and guided me along on this thread to know how much I appreciate all the words of wisdom and sound advice. I'm certain that it would not have been as smooth a sailing if it were not for CC and all the kind people here.♥

Thanks to; xxoocrusier ,Jpcello, mexico8 (Wendy) and rbrugler for your kind advice on this thread. I listened to all of your advice and I know it made our trip much more enjoyable and relaxing.

THANK YOU ALL! ♥Lily

grouphugg.gif

balloons.gif

We returned Saturday PM from our Eastern/Western B2B on RCCI, Oasis of the Seas. It was F A N T A S T I C! ♥

I am convinced---even though there were a few negatives---that cruising is the ONLY way to travel! ♥

xxoocruiser was so informative and patient with my many questions before hand. I felt very informed and at ease.♥

I had the Go=Go Elite Traveller. What a spunky little scooter! My daughter was quickly acclimated to "dis-assembler of the scooter." The men in Jamaica were astounded at how quickly she took it from the taxi van in pieces, and assembled it. Then broke it down again when we left the beach. They were applauding her, talking loudly, and calling their friends over to watch her in action. It was pretty funny.♥

PAT - I was amazed at how many places RC had installed ramps to enable the disabled. ♥

I will probably write a cruise review of our trip. I'm excited to do many more cruises in the near future. My daughter will begin med school in August and is waiting for the yearly schedule to be posted online. She will have several breaks her first and second years, then not much more for quite some time.

I hope we can do either a Mediterranean cruise, European, or one including Greece. I have a lot of researching to do. We had a GREAT time! I can't wait for the next trip. I cannot imagine cruising alone however Pat, how do you do it? If you'd like to PM me, we can chat.♥

I just wanted everyone who encouraged me and guided me along on this thread to know how much I appreciate all the words of wisdom and sound advice. I'm certain that it would not have been as smooth a sailing if it were not for CC and all the kind people here.♥

Thanks to; xxoocrusier ,Jpcello, mexico8 (Wendy) and rbrugler for your kind advice on this thread. I listened to all of your advice and I know it made our trip much more enjoyable and relaxing.

THANK YOU ALL! ♥Lily

grouphugg.gif

Lily

So glad to hear back from you ! Seems that the disassembly video I posted benefited you well and perhaps helped to add to your enjoyment. It's surprising how little people know about the scooters they rent. I'm forever demonstrating this feature on all my cruises. I joke that the cruise lines should hire me as a guest speaker to do a training and safety class for mobility scooters.

Would love to chat but Cruise Critic doesn't have a PM feature .Rather it only allows you to friend someone.... which I did.

Who knows I might actually join you the next time you cruise . As far as traveling solo goes I'm just to stuborn of a woman to give it up. Have it down to a science.

Pat

Pat

Lily

So glad to hear back from you ! Seems that the disassembly video I posted benefited you well and perhaps helped to add to your enjoyment. It's surprising how little people know about the scooters they rent. I'm forever demonstrating this feature on all my cruises. I joke that the cruise lines should hire me as a guest speaker to do a training and safety class for mobility scooters.

Would love to chat but Cruise Critic doesn't have a PM feature .Rather it only allows you to friend someone.... which I did.

Who knows I might actually join you the next time you cruise . As far as traveling solo goes I'm just to stuborn of a woman to give it up. Have it down to a science.

Pat

Pat

There's no doubt that the ability to dis-assemble the scooter was a great help to us, AND added enjoyment to our trip. We were able to go on some excursions and tours that would never been possible if we could not have broken down the scooter. Many taxis, and or vans, just don't have room for the scooter at full size. The people are very helpful, but jamming the scooter into the rear of the bus/van is just not a good idea. They want you in their vehicle to get your money, but ruining the scooter wasn't an option. I insisted that my daughter be allowed to take it apart a store it safely before we agreed to take the ride.

I was really annoyed with a guy down the hall from us that had a handicapped stateroom and left his scooter outside his room. It was difficult to get past and yet he left it there all the time. I saw him in the Windjammer with his wife and he was able to walk around the buffet, etc. There was no reason for him to park it outside except to make more room in the stateroom. The size of the handicapped units were clearly designed to make it easier to store a scooter or wheelchair in. I witnessed him and his attitude in general in the Windjammer, treatment of his wife, etc. It didn't surprise me he would also park his LARGE scooter in the hallway.

The elevator situation is also a nutty deal for those many people really do need the elevators. It cracked me up to watch the studly young guys who had been playing basketball, doing the Flow Rider, etc. and then crowd into an elevator to go up 3 floors. Waiting for ages for a elevator

with room enough for a scooter was a daily - many times a day - challenge.

Overall it was a WONDERFUL two weeks. Royal Caribbean/Oasis is obviously a very well oiled machine. From the stateroom attendants to the waiters in all the eating establishments, and every employee we ever encountered, it was a dream. :)

There's no doubt that the ability to dis-assemble the scooter was a great help to us, AND added enjoyment to our trip. We were able to go on some excursions and tours that would never been possible if we could not have broken down the scooter. Many taxis, and or vans, just don't have room for the scooter at full size. The people are very helpful, but jamming the scooter into the rear of the bus/van is just not a good idea. They want you in their vehicle to get your money, but ruining the scooter wasn't an option. I insisted that my daughter be allowed to take it apart a store it safely before we agreed to take the ride.

I was really annoyed with a guy down the hall from us that had a handicapped stateroom and left his scooter outside his room. It was difficult to get past and yet he left it there all the time. I saw him in the Windjammer with his wife and he was able to walk around the buffet, etc. There was no reason for him to park it outside except to make more room in the stateroom. The size of the handicapped units were clearly designed to make it easier to store a scooter or wheelchair in. I witnessed him and his attitude in general in the Windjammer, treatment of his wife, etc. It didn't surprise me he would also park his LARGE scooter in the hallway.

The elevator situation is also a nutty deal for those many people really do need the elevators. It cracked me up to watch the studly young guys who had been playing basketball, doing the Flow Rider, etc. and then crowd into an elevator to go up 3 floors. Waiting for ages for a elevator

with room enough for a scooter was a daily - many times a day - challenge.

Overall it was a WONDERFUL two weeks. Royal Caribbean/Oasis is obviously a very well oiled machine. From the stateroom attendants to the waiters in all the eating establishments, and every employee we ever encountered, it was a dream. :)

Lily

I don't hesitate at all to call security to report that a scooter is being stored in the hallway reasons being it's against SOLAS , Coast Guard and RCL regulations. Remember that for the next time you're on a cruise.

Though the gentleman could walk around the Buffet it doesn't mean that he didn't need the scooter. Though it's hard at times we must realize that all disability are not always visible. What I can never excuse is the sense of entitlement some people think they should have because of a disability or having to use mobility aids which appears this man may have had.

Re: elevators .... perhaps I forgot to tell you that it's best to stay away from the bank of elevators that are in direct alignment of the pool and buffet as those are the busiest regardless of what ship you're on. At least you know for future cruises.

Yes it amazes me as well that young people will take the elevator a short distance rather than the stairs. I would take the stairs all day long if I could !!!

Have never done a B2B cruise but have done several 12 days cruises . Regardless of the length I've enjoyed them all. I jokingly say a cruise is my form of assisted living for a week or longer since meals, entertainment and clean towels are provided as well as my room being cleaned.

Glad you enjoyed it and I wish your daughter well with med school ! :)

Pat

Edited by xxoocruiser

Lily,

So glad to see that you enjoyed your cruise. There is so much good information on cruise critic and when you have people like Pat that do so much research and post it for others, it makes it so much more enjoyable.

I too found it a little tricky to get on some elevators.with the scooter. Like Pat said it's best to try and use the elevators that are less popular (and less crowded). We were on the Celebrity Infinity and there seemed to be a lot of elevators and not too much crowding.

I don't understand why someone in an accessible cabin would park their scooter in the hallway. As Pat said, they are not supposed to do that.

Lily, happy future cruises and good luck to your daughter in medical school.

Wendy

Lily

I don't hesitate at all to call security to report that a scooter is being stored in the hallway reasons being it's against SOLAS , Coast Guard and RCL regulations. Remember that for the next time you're on a cruise.

Though the gentleman could walk around the Buffet it doesn't mean that he didn't need the scooter. Though it's hard at times we must realize that all disability are not always visible.

Absolutely true Pat! In fact, that is exactly the position I am in. I just cannot walk a long distance because of my back. I can walk from where I parked my scooter (at the end of either side of the condiment counter, pulling it all the way under - as far as possible - to keep it out of the way) and then walk to our table. I could navigate the buffet to an extent, and my daughter would get me a plate if I was in too much pain. SO, I understand why he parked his scooter and walked into his room. I am able to do so also, but would never leave a scooter outside my room. The night before final disembarkation (you all know this) everyone is asked to put their tagged luggage outside their staterooms, between 7-11pm. After dinner we returned to our room to pack and set our things outside. After we finished, it was 11:05pm and we were feeling a bit sad that our trip was ending, as many were, and went out to take one last look at all the wonderful places on the ship. When we tried to get down the hall, it was HORRIBLE! If the fire dept. had seen the conditions of the hallways, someone would have been in BIG trouble. Not only was there luggage everywhere, some bags were just enormous! We got down by Mr. Scooter's room and couldn't get through at all. The luggage was on both sides of the hall, solid. His scooter stuck out even further than the luggage. I could not get through. I tried carefully, and got stuck. A gentleman appeared from his room at about that time and moved some suitcases but was having a fit about the scooter situation. I should have called someone that night, but once I got through, we spent at least 2 hours taking pictures around the ship and enjoying our last moments aboard.

What I can never excuse is the sense of entitlement some people think they should have because of a disability or having to use mobility aids which appears this man may have had. It was his personality I think. As we got to the Windjammer that night, I saw this blue scooter that had been in our hallway everyday/night. I told my daughter, "that's that scooter! I wonder who it is in here that owns it. We went on with dinner and I noticed some guy being pushy, demanding, and sitting there making fun of other diners. I said, "Wow, what a jerk." My daughter said, "Yeah, he's probably the rude dude who leaves his scooter in the hallway all the time." That was the end of our conversation about it, but I almost fell out of my chair when his wife and him got up and he walked to his scooter and left!"whoopdedoo.gif

Re: elevators .... perhaps I forgot to tell you that it's best to stay away from the bank of elevators that are in direct alignment of the pool and buffet as those are the busiest regardless of what ship you're on. At least you know for future cruises. We tried every combination of times of day, level of activity, etc. and only had a few times when we had a small amount of people with us. Usually we would push the button and wait, then let several elevators come, stop, and then let it go on without us rather than jam ourselves into a crowded elevator. I'm sure people cringed when their 'already very full elevator' would stop on our floor and see a scooter and 2 more people waiting to get on. Many times I would just smile and say, "We'll wait for the next one thanks."

Yes it amazes me as well that young people will take the elevator a short distance rather than the stairs. I would take the stairs all day long if I could !!!

That's exactly what I kept saying to my daughter!

Have never done a B2B cruise but have done several 12 days cruises . Regardless of the length I've enjoyed them all. I jokingly say a cruise is my form of assisted living for a week or longer since meals, entertainment and clean towels are provided as well as my room being cleaned.

It was amazing and like a dream I didn't want to wake up from!

Glad you enjoyed it and I wish your daughter well with med school !

Pat

Thanks for wishing her well Pat. She and I have never been apart for any length of time before. She went to camp when she was in junior high school - for a week at a time for 3 years. This will be a really difficult time for us coming up in August. I'll have empty nest syndrome to the nines and she will be very homesick. She has been trying desperately to find out what she will have off for next Summer. She didn't know what she would have for vacation but recently found out that first and second year med students have summer break (not sure how long) and a small Fall break. Beginning 3rd year and beyond, nothing off.

She and I are already looking at cruises to take for when she does have breaks. She'd love a cruise including Greece and Italy. I don't know how many cruises you've been on, but any help on the best cruise lines doing European, Mediterranean, or any other for a 14-30 day would be great. Just wondering what a avid cruiser would choose. I looked for Oasis and Quantum - I found this and it might work for her first Summer break. What do you think? http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do?packageCode=QN16R010&selectedCurrencyCode=USD

loveshower.gif

Lily,

So glad to see that you enjoyed your cruise. There is so much good information on cruise critic and when you have people like Pat that do so much research and post it for others, it makes it so much more enjoyable.

Yes, she goes out of her way to be very helpful. You also, encouraged me. It's a daunting task to be disabled and try to tackle something that new and unknown. I don't think I would have made it without all of CC help.:)

I too found it a little tricky to get on some elevators.with the scooter. Like Pat said it's best to try and use the elevators that are less popular (and less crowded). We were on the Celebrity Infinity and there seemed to be a lot of elevators and not too much crowding.

I'm almost scared to try another cruise line after doing the Oasis. I would appreciate more personal experience about other ships and lines if you would like to share Wendy. We were told several times that starting out on the Oasis was a bad idea because we would be so spoiled for anything else afterwards.:cool:

I don't understand why someone in an accessible cabin would park their scooter in the hallway. As Pat said, they are not supposed to do that.

I think that HE thinks he can do as he pleases. I imagine it has to do with the scooter being "in his way" in the cabin, but that's why they give bigger staterooms to the handicapped. He struck me as a regular cruiser that does this all the time. That might be assuming a lot, but I'm a pretty good judge of character. A degree in Psychology helps a bit too. Perhaps "delusions of grandeur." :p

Lily, happy future cruises and good luck to your daughter in medical school.

Thanks Wendy! Hope we run across one another sometime!!

Wendy

studsmatta.gif

She and I are already looking at cruises to take for when she does have breaks. She'd love a cruise including Greece and Italy. I don't know how many cruises you've been on, but any help on the best cruise lines doing European, Mediterranean, or any other for a 14-30 day would be great. Just wondering what a avid cruiser would choose. I looked for Oasis and Quantum - I found this and it might work for her first Summer break. What do you think? http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findac...rrencyCode=USD

Lily

If the Quantum Suez Canal/ Dubai cruise is of interest there is only one accessible cabin available remaining . It's an inside accessible with a virtual balcony meeting there is screen with live feed which displays what you would see if your were actually in a balcony cabin.

If you want an accessible cabin you might consider booking it knowing that you are well within the period of receiving a full refund should you cancel it. Just a thought.

We can than discuss all details later that will help you to navigate this cruise.

Happy 4th of July !

Pat

I am going to jump in and thank you for all the information. I am going on first cruise for my mother and I, and will be ordering a scooter for her to use. Her conditions are simular, able to walk some, but no more than a 1/4 mile without a long rest. Can you help me with suggestions for scooter mobility in a balcony room? We weren't able to get into a handicap accessible room. Truthfully, Mom doesn't need the accomodating bathroom, just space within the cabin to get the scooter in/out and charge it overnight.

Thanks!

Hello Lilly

First about your internet when u buy the 189.00 package only one person can be logged on at a time. On the oasis the internet is pretty decent I find when u use ur own computer or tablet it works better. I use skype to keep in touch with family members. I travel with a full sized scooter that can not be broken down. In Jamaica I use Ken tours he has a wheelchair lift that can take u and ur daughter on a tour. Ask for John very nice guy. In Cozumel just go with ur scooter to taxi line they have lift vehicles Playa Mia 65.00 for the day includes lunch all drinks. They have beach and a pool.

Good luck

Brenda

Hello Lilly

First about your internet when u buy the 189.00 package only one person can be logged on at a time. On the oasis the internet is pretty decent I find when u use ur own computer or tablet it works better. I use skype to keep in touch with family members. I travel with a full sized scooter that can not be broken down. In Jamaica I use Ken tours he has a wheelchair lift that can take u and ur daughter on a tour. Ask for John very nice guy. In Cozumel just go with ur scooter to taxi line they have lift vehicles Playa Mia 65.00 for the day includes lunch all drinks. They have beach and a pool.

Good luck

Brenda

Hi Brenda

Though your information is very helpful , Lily returned from her B2B Oasis cruise on July 26, 2014. Refer to Port# 37 this thread.

Have a good weekend.

I am going to jump in and thank you for all the information. I am going on first cruise for my mother and I, and will be ordering a scooter for her to use. Her conditions are simular, able to walk some, but no more than a 1/4 mile without a long rest. Can you help me with suggestions for scooter mobility in a balcony room? We weren't able to get into a handicap accessible room. Truthfully, Mom doesn't need the accomodating bathroom, just space within the cabin to get the scooter in/out and charge it overnight.

Thanks!

Does she own the scooter? Or renting one? I rented mine and it was waiting in our stateroom when we arrived. The one I rented was the Go Go Elite Traveller and very easy to disassemble! If you have a different one, finding a youtube video for dis-assembling and re-assembling instructions for other models are easily found by Googling the name of scooter and then "instructional videos for use." I haven't been inside a regular room so I don't know where you'd store the parts. Any chance to get an accessible room?

Maybe calling RC and say you overlooked the need for one? It would save you many headaches, trust me.:)

Thanks!

Scooters are rented based on weight capacity therefore it's hard to give a specific answer.

Carevacations Lightweight or Mid-Size Scooters and SpecialNeedsatSeas standard scooter than it will most likely fit through a standard door cabin. However there will be limited spaced for the scooter to move about in a non-standard cabin but can be done .

The biggest issue will be the location of the bed. Some balcony cabins have the bed position close to the entrance and seating area next to the balcony window. This configuration generally does not allow enough room for the scooter to even get into the cabin. You do not state what cruise line or ship so without knowing the cabin configuration cannot provide any other information.

Scooters cannot be left out in the hallways. Per SOLAS Maritime Regulations, Coast Guard Regulations and the cruise ship regulations scooters must be stored in the cabin when not in used. As Lily noted from her experience it was very difficult to safety move about the hallways due to another passengers total disregard for the safety of others.

Does the scooter come apart? Honestly if it doesn't, there is no place for a scooter in a non accessible cabin!

Sherry

Actually this is not a correct statement. I have booked inside non accessible cabins many times and have been able to maneuver a scooter in/out while being able to store it in the cabin over overnight. I've never had to disassemble the scooter to get it in/out of the cabin. In fact until I started needing and accessible bathroom I always booked inside cabins and had a Pride GoGO stored in the cabin with no problem.

Much depends on the following: ..

• If scooter is less than 21" wide to be able to fit through a standard cabin door.
  • Bed configuration. Balcony cabins are the biggest concern as some have the bed close to the entrance way which can prohibit getting the scooter even into the cabin to start.
  • Non Accessible suites are generally not an issue with getting a scooter in and out
  • If the person must use other mobility equipment in addition to having a scooter than a standard cabin generally will not work.
  • Whether scooter is 3 wheel or 4 wheel. 3 wheel has a tighter turning radius to get in and out of standard cabins easily
  • for Inside and Ocean view cabins it's easier to fit a scooter if the beds are separated. This is allows both people to get in/of bed with more ease. It allows for the individual if they have a 3 wheel scooter to be able to do a 3 point turn to drive the scooter out of the cabin gathering that backing out of the cabin.