Mass Market Wanting a Better Cruise

Woobstr112G

There isn't much 'razamatazz' in the entertainment, but that's all to the good, as far as I am concerned. There are shows, parties on deck, musical ensembles, live music in the Club, a pianist or guitarist in the evenings in the Observation Lounge, cookery demonstrations and lectures (from academics or diplomats or other interesting people, not shopping lectures) during the day, lunchtime trivia, lots of books in the library, a fitness suite. But the main entertainment is your fellow travellers. I've been on big ships (Cunard, Princess, and we have a cruise booked on Celebrity - itinerary driven) and have never really struck up friendships. On Seabourn, within a few days you will be chatting with fellow passengers as if they were old friends. And of course it helps that the staff all seem to know your name by embarkation, they bring your favourite drinks without asking. The little touches make the difference too. Waiting for a tender in a hot port is so much more bearable when it's only a few minutes wait, and you have a gazebo for shade and cold drinks, towels etc to make you more comfortable. And of course limitless champagne (even if it is Nicolas Feuilette :( ) and caviar or other goodies on demand on board!

We will continue to have Seabourn as our cruiseline of choice, but in the same way that we will still take land vacations, we will sometimes use other lines. We just won't expect the same experience. On land we sometimes stay in luxury hotels, and sometimes we don't if we don't think it's going to be that great. And sometimes we go for cheap and cheerful self-catering. All part of life's rich tapestry!

We are thinking of a Seabourn cruise next year but I'm hearing negative things about their smoking policy. I know it's banned in several areas now, but we hear it is still allowed on the balconies. Would hate to spend all that money on a cruise only to have it ruined by possibly having smokers next door.

Any comments?

Read the thread on this page about the smoking on the Quest. I am sure you will find more than enough comments to suit your curiosity about how others cope with Seabourn's smoking policy which permits smoking on balconies and at the (indoor) Observation Bar after 8:00 pm. Yes, it's strange and it is also true.

Now then... If your travel agent gives feedback to Seabourn that smoking on a neighboring balcony is a deal breaker for you then you will be doing those of us who have campaigned for change a favor. Apparently this is the ONLY way to get Seabourn's attention.

Thanks in advance and Happy Sailing!

Edited by markham

Re: smoking It all depends on the cruise and who is next to you. Some cruises have few smokers, others a few fellow passengers who can't seem to go 2 minutes w/ out a smoke. Luck of the draw. We've been on both, still won't stop us from sailing on Seabourn.