Reykjavik Golden Circle Tour

Ecuador

We used an independent tour which we booked at the cruise terminal when we arrived. In this instance it was a little bit cheaper than P & O's prices but he took us to places in the mini-bus which the ship's tour didn't go. It was very informative, if a little cramped as we ended up in seats at the rear and there wasn't too much space in the aisle. It was good though as there were Brits, Americans, French and South Americans on board (as obviously not all P & O passengers) which made for an interesting day out.

The only thing I would say is that we needed to constantly remind the tour guide that we had to be back at the ship by 5pm. To be fair though I think there was a language misunderstanding inasmuch as we were saying 5pm and he was mixed up with 1700 hours and he thought it was 7pm!

All things considered we had a wonderful day out - so I'd say go for it!! (With the proviso that you remind them of the time to be back on board).

Has anyone done this excursion using an independent tour company or P & 0?

Last year we did the tour with GeoIceland.com and it was brilliant. He is a Spanish geologist who lives in Iceland, he is very knowledgeable and speaks excellent English. Nothing was too much trouble and he even dropped us off in the town after taking the others back to the ship. (we were overnight with Celebrity.)

Jim.

Hi :)

I did the Golden Circle Tour some years ago when I stayed in Reykjavik. It was excellent and a great way to see a variety of places during your day. I recall we visited Strokkur (the geysir) and had some lunch there; a garden centre (which sadly burned down a while ago); a very deep crater; Thingvillir, the old parliament; and I'm sure the Blue Lagoon was included on the way back, although that could have been a different day. We also visited Hafnarfjordir, but again that could have been a different day - it was over 20 years ago!

Reykjavik itself is a very interesting place (albeit quite expensive for food and drink!!) so whatever you decide to do you will have a wonderful time, I'm sure!

Has anyone done this excursion using an independent tour company or P & 0?

Which cruise are you on? Ship excursion is very expensive and I'm hoping there maybe other people on our cruise who would be interested in organising a diy.

Hi

We did it with Fun Travel, they were excellent!!! It was arranged through our Roll Call. The lady who organised it only started off with just her husband, son & herself, she ended up with organising 5 coaches. Cost us $75 each, that was nearly 2 years ago. Well worth it, just takes someone to organise it.

We booked in advance with igtours. The current cost is £50. They were waiting right by the ship and took a card payment on the minibus. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Our Tracy

Thanks for the info.

Babs135, we are on X414.

Kevinyork, Nearly half the price of ships excursion. Did you have to pay an additional fee at the geysir site?

No there were no additional fees whatsoever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kevinyork

Checked out the igtours website and the only difference on the tour appears to be they do not include lunch.Looks like all tour companies use the restaurant at the waterfall stop and even buying our own lunch here, we would save about £100.Like the fact that you do not have to pay till you are on the bus and also they will get you back to the ship in plenty of time for departure.

babs135

have you booked any other tours? looking at the other Icelandic ports but we have not decided what to do yet.

If the cruise calls at Akureyri use this port for an official trip as DIY trips are very limited. Nice town for a wander, but you can see it all in an hour, there is the Icelandic Aviation Museum at the airport other than that there isn't much else.