Is anyone as OCD about cruise planning/researching...

It appears I have found my true family! :p I adore planning vacations! In fact, I think half the reason I love Disney World is that it really requires intensive planning to do it right-so any trip there requires at least 6-9 months of planning, a year for any good dining reservations! And I am thrilled for the new dynamic dining on RCI- more planning to do. I am just about nine months out from our B2B and I am in full planning mode. The hardest part is the trip is a surprise, so I can't brag about the awesome things I am finding! Also, with it being a gift/surprise, I am trying to do what my mom would want-which means (gulp!) not planning many activities or shore excursions! So I am over-planning the rest, down to looking at menus nearby the hotel we will stay at the night before and determining how much meals will cost so I can do the whole trip without credit cards. Thank goodness for the CC boards and TripAdvisor so I can find every last possible detail I could use! For example-I had booked a decent balcony, but upon research found that a center hump cabin was available for both legs-AND it was cheaper! Yay!

I'm also a MAJOR planner, but I'm rethinking this. I just saw that Carnival is offering last-minute cruises for the next two months for $300 per person INCLUDING taxes and fees for a family of 4. We also did cruises this summer that dropped EXTREMELY low a month or so in advance. We have 2 cruises planned for Thanksgiving. Normally, I'm booking next summer and looking at next fall. I'm going to fight the OCD Planner in me and see what kind of deals we can get next year last minute.

I'm saying this is my current plan - with all confidence I will follow through. However, don't be shocked if a month from now, I have 2015 planned. I really want to give waiting a try. If we would have waited until 30-60 days out to book our 4 cruises in 2014, we would have saved $2700. We are definitely NOT wealthy and are very frugal year round to support our "habit".

I used to plan everything and do tons of research on ports for my first few cruises and then I took a go with the flow approach especially if going to ports for a second time or more. I do think the cruises where I planned and had my maps, folders etc were more enjoyable than laid back ones. Even though going to repeat ports on this upcoming cruise, I've researched something different to do or see in each of them so we get more out of the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have to be "OCD" because if I don't no one else will do it for me. Right now, I'm planning this upcoming 2014 trip activities (rest I will do onboard since I have no clue where I plan to eat dinner on my birthday or when to watch the Cirque), figuring out a payment plan that not too aggressive for 2015 plus what excursions to do (still haven't shown up yet) and maybe a last-minute cruise or land vacation in 2015 (figuring out the airline costs, taxi / shuttle if I do plan to go to Florida). Honestly, it not hard for me personally since traveling arranging is one of my job requirements (no, I'm not traveler agent :o). I find it easy for me since don't have extremely standards on where to go for fun or to stay (as long as it doesn't have roaches and water bugs, I'm cool :eek:) Now, planning for family, friends and coworkers, now that can make a person pull their hair out....

Edit: I forgot to mention that plan down to my wardrobe and luggage - I have exclusive clothes that just for Caribbean cruising only that I can just toss in the duffel bag that has wheels just in case it gets too heavy. I also have backpack to hold my toiletries plus hair products (I'm cruising mostly from NYC for now - I have a alot of hair breakage, I blame my employers, :p)

Edited by maywell

Of course I came across this thread while being OCD about the cruise I will be on in 2, count them.....2 sleeps!!!! I am so excited I can't control myself. My parents are taking me and we are going to Hawaii out of Vancouver.

For every vacation I have gone on, I have prepared a binder, with all the data, googled photos, ship deck plans, menus of each restaurant. Again, everyone I know laughs at me (hopefully in a good way) and they just shake their head....One of them being a TA..LOL

I have not done a binder for this cruise, but have already started to scrapbook it, planning my pages etc.

Just love that I now know I am not the only one to be so crazy. I will certainly be following this thread for some time to come.

My "system":

1. Take pertinent information from last cruise's Word file and copy/paste it to a new file for the cruise we intend to take next.

2. Read all cruise/critic info on ship and ports, copy/paste to new file.

3. Copy deck plans to same file.

4. Read CC Reviews on ship. Copy/paste pertinent info to new file.

5. During the months leading up to the cruise, read the Cruiseline and Ports Boards,copy/paste interesting info and "helpful hints" to file.

6. File will also contain all invoices, passes, private excursions booking info, etc. pertaining to cruise.

7. About two weeks before cruise, I separate all information into various sections and delete any unnecessary wording so file is smaller.

8. This file is then copied to my phone and a copy made and put into a folder to carry with us.

I'm sure this seems like overkill to many people, but I like the excitement of planning this way before our next cruise.

"Only thing I have to be careful about is not letting my 'obsession' drive others nuts, and realizing not everyone cares about things as I/we do."

I'm always amazed when my friends decide to take a cruise (sometimes even with us) and couldn't care less about the loads of information I email to them about the ship's activities, food, entertainment and various ports.

We did "wing" a cruise once....We were forced to book two short cruises back to back a few years ago since the NCL Dawn was stranded in the ocean without power two days before our taking this ship and I was notified the day before we were to embark that the was cancelled. I was actually in the car driving to Miami to stay at our pre-cruise hotel when I got the call. After all the planning for the Dawn cruise, I was really upset.

So my choice was drive back home OR try to book another cruise. Best I could get was two back to back, short duration, cruises to the Bahamas. We decided to take these, met fun people and had a good time even though nothing was planned. Of course, we missed the preplanned private excursions to the Dawn's ports, but did take a cruise on the Dawn the next year or so.