Scopolamine patch crisis

HappyPig

Sorry, in a bit of a panic. 90 minutes from cruise and we forgot our patches! It may not be an issue, but we are first time cruisers. We have dramamine but I was hoping to avoid sedative effects. We also have SeaBands. Can you find Scop patches in port, over the counter?

Sorry, on the DCL bus. I was thinking you might find it over the counter in the international port stops ( St Maarten)... I know you need a prescription in US so it is too late now :-(...

It's too late to give you this response but DCL will give you meds if you get seasick. That plus, as a fairly frequent cruiser, I can tell you the patch actually made me sick. And I get seasick!! Bonine or non-drowsy Dramamine are your best bets.

Hopefully by the time you see this, you'll be back from your cruise with good stories to tell.

Try eating ginger, candied, dried, pickled, or maybe the pills, it will settle your stomach, just ginger ale when you are sick. The patch has some pretty bad side effects that would make me skip that and take an OTC remedy instead.

I might have misread, but I had thought that the patches were pulled from the market about six months ago.

I know there was a scopolamine pill that was pulled about a year ago. But the patches are still around (DH just got his refill for our next cruise).

This is NOT a crisis. You have forgotten something that you are likely to not need anyhow. Don't assume you will have issues with motion sickness.

If you do, there are both prescription and non-prescription meds available on the ship. Yes, I know they work best if taken in advance, but you don't KNOW if you'll be motion sick at all.

I do horribly on small boats or planes, can't even do a car back seat or think about a theme park ride. Ship? No problem at all.

Ditch the patches and the dramamine. They both have lousy side effects like drowsyness, blurred vision and memory loss. Who wants to go through their cruise blind, sleepy and not remembering any of it?

Go with the Meclizine products: Bonine and Dramamine Less Drowsy. They're effective and have mild side effects if any.

Take one as you board then don't bother any more if you don't have any movement from the seas .

Edited by Host Mick

Ditch the patches and the dramamine. They both have lousy side effects like drowsyness, blurred vision and memory loss. Who ants go go thrugh their cruise blind, sleeping and not remember any of it?

Go with the Meclizine products: Bonine and Dramamine Less Drowsy. They're effective and have mild side effects if any.

Take one as you board then don't bother any more if you don't have any movement from the seas .

Completely agree! Bonine is wonderful. ;)

Thanks, everybody! In port at St maarten now! Meclizine during the day and dramamine worked well with an antacid we would have needed anyway with the rich food...

I put a small band-aid behind my ear just to cover all my bases and that may have helped too. Gotta love the Placebo Effect ;)!!