Zoo and museum - how to get there

Glinda39

I will be traveling to Bermuda in July with family, which include our 3 year old twin girls. I would like to go to the zoo/museum but do not want to go on the day the ship offers the excursion.

Can someone tell me the best plan as far as transportation.

Thank you.

Assuming your ship is docked at the Royal Naval Dockyard (Kings Wharf or Heritage Wharf) take the ferry to Hamilton, walk up the hill to the bus terminal and take a #10 or 11 bus to BAMZ (the acronym for the Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo).

Hello there!

We will be taking our daughters, ages 9 & 11, on Explorer of the Seas in a few weeks. How "complicated" is it to take the ferry to the bus to the Aquarium and Zoo? Is it better just to do the tour with the cruise? It's only a 2 hour tour and I think that the majority of the time will be spent just getting there.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Stacy

Hello there!

We will be taking our daughters, ages 9 & 11, on Explorer of the Seas in a few weeks. How "complicated" is it to take the ferry to the bus to the Aquarium and Zoo? Is it better just to do the tour with the cruise? It's only a 2 hour tour and I think that the majority of the time will be spent just getting there.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Stacy

It's very easy to use the buses and ferries.

To get from Dockyard to BAMZ:

Take the Blue Route Ferry to Hamilton. ( approx. 20 minutes travel time)

Walk up the hill from the ferry terminal in Hamilton to the bus terminal (10 minute walk).

Take a #10 or 11 bus from the bus terminal to BAMZ. (about 20 minutes travel time)

Here's the complete bus schedule : http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_18606_252_993_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/public_transportation_board/bus_schedules/bus_schedule_2014.pdf

Here's the ferry schedule: http://seaexpress.bm/Documents/Ferry/Summer%20Ferry%20Schedule%202014.pdf

Edited by njhorseman

We also want to go to the zoo when we are in Bermuda in August. I see that the ferry then bus is best way to get there but not sure I understand the cost system. We will be there 3 days and want to go to Hamilton for the zoo and the street fair at night and Horseshoe Bay Beach one day. Assuming we make 2 separate trips to Hamilton, how much would those trips cost from Dockyard? Trying to decide whether to pay for the unlimited use passes, or the ticket book or just pay per ride? And is the street fair on Wed night within walking distance from where the ferry drops you off or do you need to take a bus? Thanks.

(PS: Example....is the trip to the zoo 2 fees/tickets... 1 for ferry and 1 for bus?)

We also want to go to the zoo when we are in Bermuda in August. I see that the ferry then bus is best way to get there but not sure I understand the cost system. We will be there 3 days and want to go to Hamilton for the zoo and the street fair at night and Horseshoe Bay Beach one day. Assuming we make 2 separate trips to Hamilton, how much would those trips cost from Dockyard? Trying to decide whether to pay for the unlimited use passes, or the ticket book or just pay per ride? And is the street fair on Wed night within walking distance from where the ferry drops you off or do you need to take a bus? Thanks.

(PS: Example....is the trip to the zoo 2 fees/tickets... 1 for ferry and 1 for bus?)

It's very easy for you to compute your transportation costs and decide what is least expensive for you.

Tokens (good for one ride on bus or ferry) are $4 each.

Transportation passes are $15 for a one day pass, $25 for a 2 day pass, $35 for a 3 day pass. Days have to be consecutive from the date of first use on the multi-day passes. (For example you can't use a 2 day pass on Wednesday and Friday, it has to be Wednesday and Thursday or Thursday and Friday.) Each person has to have their own pass.

Books of 15 tickets cost $30. So far this year they have not been available for sale at Dockyard...you would have to make a trip into Hamilton to buy them. Ticket books can be shared. It's one ticket for each trip for each person.

Yes, it's two fares per person to take the ferry and bus to the zoo. Two fares per person to return via the same means.

The Harbour Nights festival in Hamilton only requires a ferry ride from Dockyard. Everything will be near the ferry terminal.

Thank you NJHorseman. I understand better but....are the tickets and tokens the same (same cost same uses)? And are the tickets only sold in groups of 15? And tokens sold individually? Can everything except the tickets be purchased at the Dockyard? :)

Thank you NJHorseman. I understand better but....are the tickets and tokens the same (same cost same uses)? And are the tickets only sold in groups of 15? And tokens sold individually? Can everything except the tickets be purchased at the Dockyard? :)

Tokens are $4 each

A book of 15 tickets is $30, which comes to $2 each if you use all of them. If you only use 10, your effect cost is $3 each, assuming you're not coming back to Bermuda (they don't expire and can be used on a subsequent visit).

Tokens are sold individually. Tickets are only sold in a book of 15.

It's one ticket or one token per ride.

Yes, tokens and passes are sold at the Dockyard. Ticket books have also been sold there in the past couple of years, but so far not this year. Maybe they will be later this year, maybe not.

Edited by njhorseman

• 1 month later...

I know it's been a while, but I wanted to thank you for all of your help on visiting the Zoo and Aquarium. The directions were perfect and we got there with no problem!

I was most impressed with the wonderful and helpful people of Bermuda. From the token clerk to the bus drivers to the ferry operators. They made our visit very welcoming and enjoyable. The transportation system there is very well operated and we had such a great time both days we were docked. (The first day we took the bus to Horseshoe Bay).

Stacy