Advise on Belize......

wigglit

OK, I’ll admit….. I’m the first one to roll my eyes after reading a post titled “Is it safe” ….with that being said, every time I tell someone that we are porting in Belize for one of our stops they say “wow, that place is bad”! I booked a private cave tubing trip with Charlie’s Cave Tubing Tours. They are # 2 on Trip Advisor and I have never had a bad experiance after reading reviews posted on the site, then booking a stay or activity.

Is the port as bad as they say or am I being a ninny? Do we need to not wear any jewelry and carry as little cash as possible? Has anyone ever heard of small groups getting robbed? Am I being silly for even worrying about it? My Husband and I are pretty adventurous, but I will have my kids too, so I'm stressing a bit.

Thanks….

:) - Karen

We did an independent tour there about a year ago, went outside the gate, funny, they were not grabbing at us through the fence. I walked back and forth by myself, no problems, everyone I encountered was nice. The only odd thing was when we came back to the dock on the snorkel boat they parked in a different spot and there were some agents checking the crew for something. They did not detain us at all. Not sure why this safety thing gets so blown out of proportion. Been there three times , never a problem..

IMO, when you walk out of the Tourism Village you can be immediately accosted by independent hawkers for various excursion vendors or private tours. This happens in ports and cities around the world. The ones in Belize City seem to some to be more aggressive, because they are confined to just in front of the gates. When you get past the Tourism Village, they disappear. I haven't heard of anyone being physically attacked or robbed, not to say it hasn't happened. But flaunting expensive cell phones, cameras, big watches and flashy jewelry are always eye catchers for those intent on doing harm.

Plenty of cruisers have walked around the flea market and the streets near the terminal and even the two main streets across the swing bridge. Most Belizeans simple leave them alone unless the tourist asks a question. Belize is a working city so most pedestrians on the street are going to and fro about daily business as in any US city. That said, when you leave the Tourism Village and head out on one of the excursions outside Belize City, you inevitably have to transverse through some of the poorer sections of the city. Slums and squatter shanties in many Caribbean, Central and South American cities are on the outskirts of towns. These are places that any tour guide will tell you they wouldn't want to be stranded here after sunset. But you are in a van or a bus and it's daylight.

So is it safe? For most of what cruisers do, yes. But just as you would in even you home town, you need to be vigilant and not do anything that invites unwelcomed interaction.

OK, I’ll admit….. I’m the first one to roll my eyes after reading a post titled “Is it safe” ….with that being said, every time I tell someone that we are porting in Belize for one of our stops they say “wow, that place is bad”! I booked a private cave tubing trip with Charlie’s Cave Tubing Tours. They are # 2 on Trip Advisor and I have never had a bad experiance after reading reviews posted on the site, then booking a stay or activity.

Is the port as bad as they say or am I being a ninny? Do we need to not wear any jewelry and carry as little cash as possible? Has anyone ever heard of small groups getting robbed? Am I being silly for even worrying about it? My Husband and I are pretty adventurous, but I will have my kids too, so I'm stressing a bit.

:) - Karen

Karen, you'll be fine with what you've booked.

Honestly, we have no desire to wander around alone there ... but a well know independent or through the ship is no problem.

Look forward to having a great day! :D

LuLu

• 1 year later...