Chankanaab Park

PurpleMonkey

Did some digging and think I answered a couple of our questions here - just google dolphin discovery. At least that covers swims with animals. I'd still like to hear about the actual experience from someone who did the sea lion swim though.

I did see those prices. I was hoping that someone that had been there recently knew the prices for some of the other features that didn't involve animals. :)

I don't know about the sea lion experience. I did swim with the manatees in 2011 when I was in Cozumel and it was awesome.

Edited by walkingfor3days

This is awesome. Thanks!

ETA: This is Chankanaab for those wondering.

I was referring to the photo prices that was originally a separate thread (quoted below) It is now on page 1 of this thread. The threads were merged.

I was able to snap a photo of the cost breakdown for Dolphin Discovery...

P1050293.JPG

Here's the breakdown in US Dollars (using 13 pesos:1 dollar)

Guests Cost

1....................$78.46

2....................$134.61

3....................$167.69

4....................$198.84

5....................$230.76

6....................$261.53

7....................$293.07

8....................$324.61

9....................$356.15

10...................$386.92

When DW & did the Dolphin swim last year, we ended up with ~50 pictures. When the family did the swim this year (5 of us), we ended up with ~170 pictures.

I did not see a reference to this this year, but last year, you could a duplicate DVD of your photos for $10. So two couples could pay $208 for two DVDs (and all the pictures on both DVDs) instead of each couple paying $134.

We were able to purchase the package before our swim and got some extra pictures (B&W) and 5 prints for free.

Would you happen to know the last time that they ran it? And did it include manatees or sea lions?

Correction: It was buy one get one for $1. From my search I think the last time was sometime during the fall 2013 so they probably don't do the special anymore (of course I could be wrong).

I saw someone mention it on post #2 of this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1936397&highlight=chankanaab+specials

Jumping into this older thread a bit late....but hoping someone sees this. I hear a lot about the dolphin encounters on the CC board, but can anyone share their sea lion experience? We love sea lions (nothing against the dolphins and manatees - we love them all :D)). Just have a particular fondness for sea lions and I'm thinking of surprising my husband.

Can't find pricing info or details on the Chankanaab site. Any comments sure would be appreciated...thanks!

The price I found for the Sea Lion Discovery was $59. We will be in Cozumel the last week of May and am looking at possibly doing the Sea Lion Discovery. My daughter loves the sea lions. If you are going before then and do this encounter, let me know what you think.

http://www.**********************cozumel/swimming-sea-lions-cozumel.asp

The price I found for the Sea Lion Discovery was $59. We will be in Cozumel the last week of May and am looking at possibly doing the Sea Lion Discovery. My daughter loves the sea lions. If you are going before then and do this encounter, let me know what you think.

http://www.**********************cozumel/swimming-sea-lions-cozumel.asp

http://www dot dolphindiscovery dot com/cozumel/swimming-sea-lions-cozumel.asp

• 3 weeks later...

I just booked the dolphin swim adventure and purchased 2 photo certificates for me and DH. I just lied and said I was staying at a hotel because I refuse to pay more to book through the cruise line when I can get 25% off each person!

Edited by cupcake8503

I see people talking about buying photos at the park - are you not allowed to shoot your own photos or video?

Dolphin type places never allow you to take your own pictures, they want you to buy their expensive pictures. I've swam twice at different locations, the pictures are very worth it!

Dolphin type places never allow you to take your own pictures, they want you to buy their expensive pictures. I've swam twice at different locations, the pictures are very worth it!

I'm a big proponent of buying photos at places, but not when they create rules that paying customers can't shoot pictures solely to coerce them to buy. Especially when they charge insane prices.

I'm not interested in the dolphin encounter but I do want to do the SNUBA tour and maybe the manatee encounter, but not if I can't take photos and video. And of course I want to shoot in the park itself.

All I'm trying to do is determine what types of photography are allowed where at the park, but it's been difficult getting the points of contact at the park to answer any questions.

I'm a big proponent of buying photos at places, but not when they create rules that paying customers can't shoot pictures solely to coerce them to buy. Especially when they charge insane prices.

I'm not interested in the dolphin encounter but I do want to do the SNUBA tour and maybe the manatee encounter, but not if I can't take photos and video. And of course I want to shoot in the park itself.

All I'm trying to do is determine what types of photography are allowed where at the park, but it's been difficult getting the points of contact at the park to answer any questions.

Snuba tour, you can bring your own (obviously underwater!!!) camera and shoot to your heart's content. Unless someone else is with you on the snuba tour, you wont have any pictures of yourself or your family members enjoying the activity. So you might end up buying their DVD's anyway.

I was there in 2013 and AFAIK, there were no restrictions on photography/vidoegraphy anywhere inside the park, during scuba, snuba or during snorkeling. I didnt do Dolphin encounter there, so cant speak of it.

Snuba tour, you can bring your own (obviously underwater!!!) camera and shoot to your heart's content. Unless someone else is with you on the snuba tour, you wont have any pictures of yourself or your family members enjoying the activity. So you might end up buying their DVD's anyway.

I was there in 2013 and AFAIK, there were no restrictions on photography/vidoegraphy anywhere inside the park, during scuba, snuba or during snorkeling. I didnt do Dolphin encounter there, so cant speak of it.

I'm concerned that the rules may have changed since 2013. If you read recent posts on trip advisor you see comments about not getting to take pictures and being strong-armed into buying expensive packages. And these people absolutely refuse to respond to any emails or facebook posts regarding photography.

I contacted another snuba tour company (not at the park) and they did respond - they did not allow cameras on the tour but they'd be happy to sell you the pictures they took. The stingray encounter at Cozumel allows cameras while snorkeling but not during the encounter - but they will sell you photos. This seems to be a growing problem at Cozumel, unfortunately.

I'm going to try and contact someone with the Mexico Dept of Tourism and nail down what the policies are.

Edited by websiteauthor

We are going on the Jewel this Saturday and are thinking of doing our Cozumel day at Chankanaab Park since there have been so many fantastic reviews on here. The website leaves a lot to be desired, or I am just missing a bunch of information on there. Where do we book? I was thinkin my kids might like the manatee swim- we did a fabulous dolphin swim in Nassau last May and so I'd love for them to do something different. I was hoping to find somewhere with a beach, some snorkeling, food/drinks, and maybe the water obstacle course/trampoline/slides, etc for the kids. Does anyone know if the 25% off promotion is still on, or where to find it? Where can I book this excursion?

We are going on the Jewel this Saturday and are thinking of doing our Cozumel day at Chankanaab Park since there have been so many fantastic reviews on here. The website leaves a lot to be desired, or I am just missing a bunch of information on there. Where do we book? I was thinkin my kids might like the manatee swim- we did a fabulous dolphin swim in Nassau last May and so I'd love for them to do something different. I was hoping to find somewhere with a beach, some snorkeling, food/drinks, and maybe the water obstacle course/trampoline/slides, etc for the kids. Does anyone know if the 25% off promotion is still on, or where to find it? Where can I book this excursion?

If you are planning on doing a swim at Chankanaab, then you go to the dolphin discovery site to book. If you are just going to Chankanaab, you just simply show up and pay when you get there (no reservations needed).

You will not find any water toys at Chankanaab. It's a National Park. But there's a lot of other things to do there. They also have a zip line now and some alligator thing. They have the free sea lion show, a replica self guided tour to the mayan ruins stuff, and also some type of human gerbil ball.

If you are planning on doing a swim at Chankanaab, then you go to the dolphin discovery site to book. If you are just going to Chankanaab, you just simply show up and pay when you get there (no reservations needed).

You will not find any water toys at Chankanaab. It's a National Park. But there's a lot of other things to do there. They also have a zip line now and some alligator thing. They have the free sea lion show, a replica self guided tour to the mayan ruins stuff, and also some type of human gerbil ball.

For the SNUBA tour (also at the park) you book it through the company that does it, I believe, just like the dolphin thing.

Edited by websiteauthor

Ok, I found where to book- thank you! Now I have another question: we did the fantastic dolphin swim last May is Nassau and so I was thinking this time we would do the Manatee or Sea Lion swim...I thought my kids might like the sea lions best and the pictures would be better, but the reviews for the Manatee are wonderful too. Any thoughts on deciding which one?

I'm running out of time to be researching :) And since I'll be gone for 10 days, I'm working every day this week, and strep and flu season are keeping my clinic full of patients and really limiting my computer time! LOL! Any help is much appreciated! The pictures on the Chankanaab website aren't loading (says page no longer available) and the map is small and difficult to see what all is offered. I need to go back through these reviews to help plan our day- just wanting to see what all there is to do there, and what is included and what we need to bring extra money for. I think somewhere I saw someone had posted the menu (but I have read so many threads lately, that may have been another menu!)

We had initially planned to do an excursion through the ship called Fury Catamaran and Aqua Park, but I have not seen anywhere else any information about the Fury Aqua Park....anyone know what this is? I thought it would be fun to snorkel and have the floating water park for the kids. Our other option was Playa Mia. But the reviews for Chankanaab were fantastic, so I think that is what we will do. I need to decide today!

we are sailing on splendor next week

I booked my royal swim using cozumel insider dot com

awesome price

but I can not find information about renting a locker.

Please see the map posted above your post. It shows where the locker rental is located at Chankanaab (number 2). There use to be free lockers located directly in front of the dolphin swim in the building. I'm not sure if they are still there or not, but I would check.

Regarding picture prices.

many say they are pricy

but is it per picture or do you get a CD with all the pictures?

I am just needing some type of round about amount so I can budget accordingly

Regarding picture prices.

many say they are pricy

but is it per picture or do you get a CD with all the pictures?

I am just needing some type of round about amount so I can budget accordingly

They go by how many people are in your party. They take pictures all during the swim or encounter and they will include every picture that you are in (even when there's other people in the picture), a some pictures of each activity you do with the animals and pictures of just the animals as well doing tricks. When the 3 of us did it, I think there were around 80+ pictures they had. (We didn't buy them because back then, they allowed us to take our own pictures).

Yes, you get them on a CD.