WWYD? Paradise or Victory

Jules~Marie

I'm going to surprise my husband with a cruise for our anniversary. We live in Tampa, and we could go on the Paradise for 4 days traveling to Cozumel. Or, we could do the Victory out of Miami for 4 days to Cozumel & Key West.

I like the idea of leaving from Tampa since its so close, but I'm worried about the ship. I've never been on a smaller one before. I'm not sure if we'd like it. I've been on Victory in the past and loved it but I'm not crazy about the drive to Miami.

Any advice? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got off Paradise last week. I've also been on Victory. If you are looking for more to do during the cruise I would say Victory. Paradise was more of a no frills experience. If you are just going to hang out around Lido,Paradise is great. We also have a place in Tampa and there is nothing like a 20 min. ride to the ship.Either way I don't think you can go wrong.If you go on Victory out of Miami,please let us know how it was. We are on Victory for 4 day for Superbowl. Never did a 4 day on Victory before.

Thanks for the replies. The prices are similar, and I keep thinking if we so Miami, we'd have to go the night before & get a hotel room and plus the gas & parking it'd be way more pricey than the Tampa cruise.

We don't do much on the ship besides exploring different areas and hanging out on lido, I guess the paradise would work. Do you feel the waves more on the smaller ship? It just looks old to me so it makes me nervous lol. Guess I need to start reading some reviews on it!

Given your parameters, I'd suggest staying in Tampa for the Paradise cruise. The stop in Key West on Victory is very early and kind of a waste, and as you know the drive to Miami can be kind of a PITA. The ship is larger, to be sure, but Victory really doesn't have any more amenities than Paradise.

As for age, Paradise is only two years older than Victory. You also won't feel any more motion on her than on Victory.

Edited by gtalum

As much as I love Key West (my favorite port of call). I would say go with the Paradise....it is right in your backyard ;) and go and enjoy yourselves. We love the Fantasy class ships.

Happy Anniversary

Great points! That settles it, paradise wins! I'm so excited! It's been 2 year since our last cruise. I'm going to tell him we're going to Disney for the weekend and then surprise him and drive straight to the port! Now I need to brush up on my carnival info, seems things have changed a bit!

Thanks again!!!

I can weigh in on this, as I was on the Paradise in May. I went on the 4 day that only stops in Cozumel, and had a blast! I too, was torn between the Paradise and Victory, but the Paradise was an easy choice because the Victory's stop in Key West is really short. It's really only about 4 or 5 hours max if you count the shuttle to/from the cruise ship. I've already seen the main sights in Key West during a land trip, so it wasn't worth it to me. I too, was a bit hesitant about the Paradise being an older ship, but I found it fine. In fact, I think I'll end up appreciating it's "old school" style whenever I have to go on a mega-ship. The Paradise was not crowded, had plenty of open views of the ocean, and I even saw a group of dolphins on the last night. If you want to feel like you're on a ship vs feeling like you're in a hotel, you'll like Paradise.

Our oceanview room was extremely dated but very clean and the only thing I ever noticed was that the room seemed to always smell like burgers/McDonalds. This was on the Main deck aft, so I would perhaps look for a room elsewhere if I booked again.

The others are right, I would go with the Paradise. If you go soon say hello to Sureany and Rusty in the Lobby bar for Big Steve and Lydia. They'll know as we have sailed on 3 other ships with them. Have fun.

I just got off Paradise last week. I've also been on Victory. If you are looking for more to do during the cruise I would say Victory. Paradise was more of a no frills experience. If you are just going to hang out around Lido,Paradise is great. We also have a place in Tampa and there is nothing like a 20 min. ride to the ship.Either way I don't think you can go wrong.If you go on Victory out of Miami,please let us know how it was. We are on Victory for 4 day for Superbowl. Never did a 4 day on Victory before.

What does the Victory have that the Paradise does not??

Thanks

We've sailed twice on the Paradise and really enjoyed both trips. The crew is very friendly. In our opinion, the size of the ship allows for better interaction between the crew and the guests.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

What does the Victory have that the Paradise does not??

Thanks

I will answer even though this wasn't directed at me. The only difference in terms of public amenities is that the Victory has a bigger waterslide. Victory is bigger, but doesn't have any of the upgraded amenities of the newer ships.

The only other difference is the balcony cabins on Victory. On Paradise you have to book a suite to get a balcony.

I'm going to surprise my husband with a cruise for our anniversary. We live in Tampa, and we could go on the Paradise for 4 days traveling to Cozumel. Or, we could do the Victory out of Miami for 4 days to Cozumel & Key West.

I like the idea of leaving from Tampa since its so close, but I'm worried about the ship. I've never been on a smaller one before. I'm not sure if we'd like it. I've been on Victory in the past and loved it but I'm not crazy about the drive to Miami.

Any advice? Thanks!

Hello Iam going thru the same thing myself with these two ships in August except 5 day Victory and a third ship Freedom 5 day. Leaning towards freedom because has all the upgrades the other two do not:)

• 1 month later...

I have been on both ships...Off the top of my head, other than the size difference, the one thing that the Victory does have that the Paradise does not have (other than balconies), is a dedicated sports bar

Never been on Paradise, but I've been on enough Fantasy-class ships to feel like I have. Biggest differences:

• Victory has a dedicated sports bar
  • Victory has the big jumbotron screen on Lido
  • Victory has far better arrangement for deck chairs (stadium style) on Lido
  • Paradise has the Serenity Deck at the BACK of the ship where it belongs!!
  • Victory has Josef, the SUPERCHARGED Maitre'D!!!!

I might give another nod to Paradise if had gotten the 2.0 updates, but I think it's still in original condition.

Have an awesome time no matter which you choose! :D