Carnival makes me sooo MAD!

kmcdonald

I'm not sure why but for whatever reason . . . a lot of people look upon their favorite cruise line as a parent looks upon their children. Say something negative . . . and they will defend to the very end. It's not just Carnival . . . I remember the same thing happening prior to my cruise on Celebrity in 2003. Reading those boards . . . one didn't dare say anything negative about Celebrity or all hel* broke loose. It sort of reminds me of . . . "my son's tee ball team is better than yours." "No, my son's tee ball team is better than yours and don't you say a word about how my son can't hit the ball off the tee." "Well, your daughter can't hit the ball off the tee either . . . so there!"

It would be so nice if everyone agreed that not everyone loves the same cruise line . . . or if they had a problem with a cruise line, and posted something not 100% positive . . . they wouldn't be pounced upon. I've been reading these boards for years and unfortunately . . . I don't think it will ever happen. As long as you have loyal posters to a particular cruise line . . . they will critize anything said about their favorite cruise line that in any way was not positive.

I have loved each and every cruise I have ever taken. Problems? Yes, I have had problems . . . both big and small . . . on several cruises. Would I ever post any of those problems on Cruise Critics? Are you kidding . . . I wouldn't dare! :eek:

If the damages are so low they don't justify paying attorneys to sue, why doesn't Carnival just settle?

At say even $300 per bag, that amounts to damages of $900. No attorney worth his salt would even consider such a lawsuit(and certainly NEVER take it on a contigency basis). That is why Carnival has a blanket amount say $100 ( to get you to shut up). One visit to an attorney and you immediately realize your best bet is to take the amount Carnival legally locks you into (at least you think) on their ticket contract.

Have you ever even heard of Carnival being sued outside a class action suit?

Again, unless you have a suit that is worth at least $25-30K where an attorney could make $8-15K you won't find representation from an attorney capable of beating Carnival's attorneys. And the first question he's going to ask is, "Certainly you have more proof that Carnival's negligence caused your luggage to be destroyed than your observations?"

LOL, Class action suits are the most overrated lawsuits. They sometimes cost millions to present, take years to litigate, and when successful, they usually only succeed in making the lawyers wealthy. Their clients often get a mere pittance. Unless there is a chance of tagging on a huge "pain and suffering" or "gross negligence" MULTIPLIER to the actual damages most class action suits won't cover their costs.

Carnival is policed under the SEC regarding money not cruise rules. That's why you can't sue Carnival for not being ADA complient.

Carnival's ships may not be ADA compliant as their foreign registry precludes them from falling under US jurisdiction (if you owned Carnival you would do the same OR GO BROKE), but you can bet your bottom dollar their corporate offices and any land-based operations in the US are ADA compliant.

I can't speak for Florida, but in California, the OP's best bet for recovery would be a "small claims" suit. Lawyer's aren't allowed in the proceedings, they only cost around $10 for the filing fee, but a judge would require a little more than, "Carnival destroyed these bags, your Honor". :rolleyes:

I am NOT an attorney. Just a businessman who's been through a lot. :D

You can find decent luggage on sale quite often. I purchased our a very nice 4 piece set last year for $50, normally $179, and the same set (a 5 piece set) again 2 months ago for $50 again, on sale.

They couldn't have made money either time.

My point is that luggage is cheap and that you can afford to just replace luggage if any damamge makes it unusable. $60 inspection? Hmmmmm.

I have loved each and every cruise I have ever taken. Problems? Yes, I have had problems . . . both big and small . . . on several cruises. Would I ever post any of those problems on Cruise Critics? Are you kidding . . . I wouldn't dare
!

See, now, that's a shame because a lot of ppl learn from other's experiences.

• 2 weeks later...
!

See, now, that's a shame because a lot of ppl learn from other's experiences.

I agree with merrytimes. It would be a shame to think we could only post good things about the whole cruise experience. I think that posting good and bad gives some insight to where you want to go, with what cruiseline, and gives good food for thought. I know many of these posts, good and bad, have helped me make some more informed decisions about excursions, things to see/not see on the islands, and I appreciate all points of view. We don't have to go on forever bashing thing things you didn't like, just state, in short, the facts. If you want more info, there's always email to that person for more details. Thanks everyone for the good and bad of your trips...keep posting!

Archived