Schengen Visa - Single or Multiple Entry?

davidcraig2003

Hi,

Hoping someone may have experience in this!

We are booked on the MSC Sinfonia, July 14th out of Genoa visiting Cannes, Ibiza, Mahon, Olbia, Salerno and returning to Genoa. One of our group requires a Schengen visa. I'm a little worried that the consulate advised only a single entry visa. I appreciate that the cruise is not leaving the EU, but technically, 12 miles off the coast is international waters (and authorities would have to assume no one has joined at sea, obviously this doesn't apply to cruise ships, but it may be a universal ruling).

Has anyone flew into the EU, then a cruise within the EU, on a single entry visa? Concerned that the single entry is 'used' on landing in Genoa, with no visa usage left for the cruise!

Thanks!

I'm no expert but I'd have thought the single entry is correct. I'm assuming he/she will be travelling from the UK with you? When they flight into Italy (or France) to join the ship on Genoa, he/she enters Schengen zone at this point. All the ports the ship is calling at are within the zone, so there is only a single entry, since he will only leave when they depart Italy to return to the UK. It would be different if you were calling at Morocco, Tunisia or Turkey. Then that would conunt as leaving then re entering the zone.

Immigration is only when you land. You don't enter another country unless you arrive there. Crossing into international waters going from France to Spain or Spain to Italy doesn't count as you don't get off the ship whilst it is under navigation. I'm not even sure depending on the route that you will cross out of the zone even at sea.

When you board a cruise like this, I never have to surrender my passport nor does anyone else. When you have one that has other countries upside the zone, passports are kept by the ship.

BTW I did this cruise last year. It's a great itinerary. really enjoyed it and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the ports particularly Mahon and Mahon. We called at St Tropez rather than Cannes though

Edited by AmoMondo

I'm no expert but I'd have thought the single entry is correct. I'm assuming he/she will be travelling from the UK with you? When they flight into Italy (or France) to join the ship on Genoa, he/she enters Schengen zone at this point. All the ports the ship is calling at are within the zone, so there is only a single entry, since he will only leave when they depart Italy to return to the UK. It would be different if you were calling at Morocco, Tunisia or Turkey. Then that would conunt as leaving then re entering the zone.

Immigration is only when you land. You don't enter another country unless you arrive there. Crossing into international waters going from France to Spain or Spain to Italy doesn't count as you don't get off the ship whilst it is under navigation. I'm not even sure depending on the route that you will cross out of the zone even at sea.

When you board a cruise like this, I never have to surrender my passport nor does anyone else. When you have one that has other countries upside the zone, passports are kept by the ship.

BTW I did this cruise last year. It's a great itinerary. really enjoyed it and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the ports particularly Mahon and Mahon. We called at St Tropez rather than Cannes though

What do they do with the duty free shop on EU-only itineraries?

My understanding is that if a cruise includes at least one non-EU port then the whole cruise is legally classed as duty-free for EU purposes. If not, I assume the ship cannot sell anything, from shops or bars, without paying taxes, to some EU country.

On our last tour, the Fantasia did not leave the EU, threfore all prices on board included VAT. The duty free shop on board was not open and we were not allowed to use duty free shops in port.

On our last tour, the Fantasia did not leave the EU, threfore all prices on board included VAT. The duty free shop on board was not open and we were not allowed to use duty free shops in port.

Many thanks, that chimes in with my understanding. It also explains why so many European cruises include a non-EU port!

To get back to the OP's question - this evidence would indicate that a single-entry visa is fine. It is a single-entry to the Schengen area then a single departure from it.

Thanks - what made me nervous was the international waters element, but it seems to be a non-issue.

I guess that explains why Tunis frequently features on Western Med trips. It's interesting, the Epic add on the VAT to all onboard purchases, but for the Allegrisimo package at least, MSC seem to absorb the cost themselves, as it is still being offered to pre-purchase at £20pppn

It's interesting, the Epic add on the VAT to all onboard purchases, but for the Allegrisimo package at least, MSC seem to absorb the cost themselves, as it is still being offered to pre-purchase at £20pppn

All priced on board included the VAT. Some prices might have been slightly higher than on VAT-free sailings, but MSC seems to absorb most of VAT out of their margin. The water and beer packages we had pre-ordered were also the regular price.

I wonder how the Epic/NCL can get away with adding the VAT to the bill, since EU rules require prices to be quoted including VAT. The adhere to European law as far as collecting the VAT is concerned, but ignore it when it comes to price transparency.

I wonder how the Epic/NCL can get away with adding the VAT to the bill, since EU rules require prices to be quoted including VAT. The adhere to European law as far as collecting the VAT is concerned, but ignore it when it comes to price transparency.

Perfectly put and they would probably fall at the first court challenge. These mega-corporates behave as if the law does not apply to them.

I have an ongoing case against Thomas Cook who apparently don't feel under any obligation to obey the law, no matter how well it is explained to them. At least in the UK it is possible to take the giants to court for very little money (a percentage of the claim amount). I have taken Thomas Cook to court three times now - they are repeat offenders - and they have never even defended themselves. It should not take independent actions by individuals to make these corporates behave legally.

I imagine that it is simply more profitable for them to behave illegally then pay-off the few claims they receive.

Edited by Skipper Tim