Shrine of St Terese, Juneau

mlkmnsgrl

I would love to make it to the shrine, but I've only seen one tour (M&M) that goes there--but their tour is combined with a 1 hour stop at Mendenhall and that's just not enough for us.

Can anyone tell me of other tours that visit the shrine. Or offer insights on whether it'd be insane to try and find a rental car this late--we are on the NCL Sun visiting Juneau June 19th from 7am-1:15pm.

This is such an awkward time to try and see all we would like, and we are on a very tight budget. I'd love the change of pace that the shrine offers, but if we can't make it work, we'll brave the blue bus madness and after Mendenhall we'll just wander around town.

Thanks, all!

You either need to rent a car, I recommend Avis at the Goldbelt, or contact the tour operator directly and inquire "IF" Mendenhall is either at the end or beginning of the tour and either get there or leave there independently with the shuttle bus.

Thanks! I called Avis and booked a car. $100 works out about the same as the tour would and gives us total freedom, so I think it'll be worth it even though it's such a short stop.

In a perfect world, NCL will magically dock in town instead of the AJ Dock and we'll have more time, but I'm not counting on it.

We were just there last week and rented a car from Avis at the Goldbelt Hotel. We spent around 3 hours at Mendenhall Glacier (we were the first of 4 ships in port that day and went there first to beat the rush). Then we drove out past Auke Bay and to Shrine of St Therese. It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed the drive and stops very much. We had originally booked a whale watch/Mendenhall combo, but decided to cancel and do the car rental since we knew an hour at Mendenhall wouldn't be enough for us. I highly recommned the car rental option for the flexibility and independence. We also stopped at Walmart for some supplies, which was right on the way and very handy.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks, Paula!

That definitely confirms it--glad we're renting a car. It's painful to pay $100 for 4 hours, but I really think we'd be terribly disappointed if we weren't able to spend all the time we want at the glacier. The thought of spending a huge amount of time waiting in line for a crowded bus was ruining my Juneau planning.

We posted our plan to our roll call, so maybe we'll find another couple to split the cost and then it's as cheap an option as can be!

Juneau Car Rental has them for less than $60. As I remember it was a 10-15 minute walk from where we docked though.

Also, Eagle Beach is just a short drive north of the shrine and is worth a stop since you'll be up that way.

Edited by Glaciers

Juneau Car Rental has them for less than $60. As I remember it was a 10-15 minute walk from where we docked though.

Also, Eagle Beach is just a short drive north of the shrine and is worth a stop since you'll be up that way.

They're quoting $75 right now, only full size left. But just found out we're actually going to be right up front dock position, so for convenience, I think we'll stick to Avis. If we were docking at AJ, then I think I'd switch since we don't car if our rental is a new model or a wreck...our van just hit 150k this week and we still feel like it's a luxury ride. :)

I'll definitely add Eagle Beach to the list, I think I remember reading about it...and I was it BudgetQueen who said it's a good whale watching spot? So many things to see, so little time! This itinerary was the right price and a great first trip, but I already know we'll be back someday--hopefully with kids old enough to appreciate it and a land tour added on!

I'll definitely add Eagle Beach to the list, I think I remember reading about it...and I was it BudgetQueen who said it's a good whale watching spot? So many things to see, so little time! This itinerary was the right price and a great first trip, but I already know we'll be back someday--hopefully with kids old enough to appreciate it and a land tour added on!

The hatchery started dumping fish near the shrine and it’s deep so there have been whales occasionally close to shore although you can’t depend on it. Eagle beach is across from the north end of Shelter Island and is one of the areas where the whale watch tours frequent although it’s a ways from shore.

It sounds like such a spectacular area! Plus, I'm really excited to get to some areas that most of the cruise masses can't go so it's less crowded. Being the first ship in that day, we can get the car and see the Mendenhall Visitors Center before anyone has time to get there on the shuttles.

Speaking of that, this is OT from my original question, but something I'm finding really confusing:

Nugget Falls Trail--

Tongass NF website says allow 5 hours for 6.5 miles.

CC threads keep saying 20 minutes to the Falls.

So which is it?! There's a pretty huge difference there!

Also, anyone know much about the west side trail? Relative advantages, disadvantages? We'll drive right by on the way to/from the shrine, so depending on how close to the trailhead we can get in a sedan, we could probably do a part of the trail. Certainly won't have time for the whole thing. My husband isn't a hiker, but is fit enough to do it if I convince him the view is worth the mud. I was an archaeologist in another life, so I'm happy to hike for the best views...this is also why I'm interested in the Shrine, St Nicholas', etc--history is decidedly my thing!

The West Glacier trail is an excellent hike but you won’t have time for that if you do the shrine and Mendenhall Glacier. The trail is on the opposite side of the Glacier from the visitor center. Nugget Falls trail is only about 20 minutes, if that.

I posted two photos of Nugget Falls in this thread. One is from the Nugget Falls trail and one is from the West Glacier trail.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1475037&highlight=nugget&page=6

Edited by Glaciers

The West Glacier trail is an excellent hike but you won’t have time for that if you do the shrine and Mendenhall Glacier. The trail is on the opposite side of the Glacier from the visitor center. Nugget Falls trail is only about 20 minutes, if that.

I posted two photos of Nugget Falls in this thread. One is from the Nugget Falls trail and one is from the West Glacier trail.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1475037&highlight=nugget&page=6

Thanks, Glacier! That is a fabulous thread overall and great photos of the falls. I think when I'm at the visitor's center, I'm going to try and find out why in the world they've got such a limited and unhelpful trail map for the area on their website. I used to work for another forest and I know the high ups make crazy website rules, but this is such a heavily used area I would have thought they'd have a lot more set up. Especially given the history of the visitor's center. Oh well. :rolleyes:

I knew we wouldn't have time for the west trail, but hadn't done any looking to see if there's a cool glimpse from the trailhead or just a bit in, but it looks like you have to go pretty far in before the trees break enough and you're right that we definitely won't have time for it.

You need to allow an hour for the Nugget Falls trail. People also mix up the details with the Nugget Creek Trail which is off the East Loop- which the time reference above is similar.

An hour round trip, though, right? So I'm guessing the USFS trail is calling the Falls trail something else. The Nugget Creek Trail as a 3 mile plus 3.5 mile access (east loop) makes sense, now. I guess their website just doesn't list all of the trails for some reason and, brilliantly :rolleyes:, the most popular Nugget Falls trail is one they left out.

Thanks, Paula!

That definitely confirms it--glad we're renting a car. It's painful to pay $100 for 4 hours, but I really think we'd be terribly disappointed if we weren't able to spend all the time we want at the glacier. The thought of spending a huge amount of time waiting in line for a crowded bus was ruining my Juneau planning.

We posted our plan to our roll call, so maybe we'll find another couple to split the cost and then it's as cheap an option as can be!

There is also a really cool takeout restaurant in the same direction that is located right next to a harbor and boatyard. Wish I could remember the turnoff road. Anyone??

DON

I knew we wouldn't have time for the west trail, but hadn't done any looking to see if there's a cool glimpse from the trailhead or just a bit in, but it looks like you have to go pretty far in before the trees break enough and you're right that we definitely won't have time for it.

On your way back from the shrine you could stop at the trailhead if you have time. From what I remember the first views of the glacier and Nugget Falls from above them is about an hour up the trail.

We were just there last week and rented a car from Avis at the Goldbelt Hotel. We spent around 3 hours at Mendenhall Glacier (we were the first of 4 ships in port that day and went there first to beat the rush)..... I highly recommned the car rental option for the flexibility and independence. We also stopped at Walmart for some supplies, which was right on the way and very handy.

Have a great cruise!

Can you direct me to the website where you discovered you were the first of four ships in port that day?

Did you rent car through AVIS online?

On your way back from the shrine you could stop at the trailhead if you have time. From what I remember the first views of the glacier and Nugget Falls from above them is about an hour up the trail.

On the return to the ship, I would not recommend taking the Mendenhall Loop road. We've got construction going on at Auke Bay; they're installing a round-about. Although the construction company is contractually obligated to not stop traffic for more than a few minutes, those cars coming off the back loop are at a terrible disadvantage, so turning left across the through direction can take 10+ minutes. Turning right to continue out the road should be easier.

As you come to Montana Creek Road from the glacier, turn on it and head down to Skater's Cabin. It has lovely views of glacier, lake and Nugget Falls that most tourists don't see. It's not as far as the West Glacier trailhead, which frankly is not worth bothering. There's no views on that trail until you're well up it and above the treeline.

There is also a really cool takeout restaurant in the same direction that is located right next to a harbor and boatyard. Wish I could remember the turnoff road. Anyone??

I wouldn't recommend The Hot Bite anymore. (I think that's the place you're thinking of.) Their service takes forever and the food is overpriced now. (Even more than usual for Alaska!) Not when there's The Devil's Hideaway in the Squire Rest bar or sandwiches from the SE Waffle Company on the right just as you turn off the back loop, in the long building along the roadside.

On the return to the ship, I would not recommend taking the Mendenhall Loop road. We've got construction going on at Auke Bay; they're installing a round-about. Although the construction company is contractually obligated to not stop traffic for more than a few minutes, those cars coming off the back loop are at a terrible disadvantage, so turning left across the through direction can take 10+ minutes. Turning right to continue out the road should be easier.

As you come to Montana Creek Road from the glacier, turn on it and head down to Skater's Cabin. It has lovely views of glacier, lake and Nugget Falls that most tourists don't see. It's not as far as the West Glacier trailhead, which frankly is not worth bothering. There's no views on that trail until you're well up it and above the treeline.

Fabulous insider help! Thank you VERY much! We get a bonus view of the Glacier and less traffic? That's brilliant!

http://www.claalaska.com for Port arrival information, all ships, and the order in which they dock.

Any other sources for that info, I'd love to do a cross-check.

Thanks! I noticed they have our port arrival in Ketchikan on June 20 mixed up with another ship, so looks like one mistake.

My ports are Haines, Juneau, Ketchikan on HAL Oosterdam. Does anyone know if they dock or tender at these ports?

Can you direct me to the website where you discovered you were the first of four ships in port that day?

Did you rent car through AVIS online?

I used the same website that someone already posted here for you. Although if you want to double check the times, just go to the cruise lines' websites for the ships listed and see what the itinerary shows for docking times. The day we were there the schedule was correct.

Yes, we rented online from Avis.

Edited by Paula_MacFan