Ports on our own

esmo

At close to the last minute we have been forced to scrap our planned September cruise on Princess and substitute a HAL cruise next month. As such I have had to cancel what we had planned and am now "winging it". We have opted not to do any paid excursions at this point, I am not even sure we could get anything at this late date and we have zero interest in doing anything being offered through the cruise line.

I think I have Sitka figured out (though woild welcome any suggestions). We could use some guidance on Ketchikan and especially Juneau. In Ketchikan since we have just a few hours we plan to just walk around and explore. Within that plan anything that is a "must do"?

In Juneau I thought we would take a bus up to Mendenhall and maybe the tram to Mt. Roberts. We have from 1:00-10:00 p.m. so there is plenty of time-anything else we can do on foot or by using public transit.

We don't mind walking, but my husband is not interested in hiking. We like museums or anything that explains/educates about the history and culture of a place. Wildlife and scenery are a plus.

I am disappointed that what we had planned has fallen through but at least we are still going to be able to go...

Thanks

Kathy

Kathy

Being in port from !:00 till 10, if you are planning on taking the 'Blue' bus to Mendenhall, then do that first thing. I'm pretty sure they stop running about 5:00, so you want to be able to spend some time there. After that, you can wander about Juneau, maybe the tram etc.

Cheers

Len

In Sitka we really enjoyed the Bishop's House and the Russian Orthodox Church. Lots of history there.

In Ketchikan we wandered up and down Creek Street. The plaques on the buildings were very, very interesting.

At close to the last minute we have been forced to scrap our planned September cruise on Princess and substitute a HAL cruise next month. As such I have had to cancel what we had planned and am now "winging it". We have opted not to do any paid excursions at this point, I am not even sure we could get anything at this late date and we have zero interest in doing anything being offered through the cruise line.

I think I have Sitka figured out (though woild welcome any suggestions). We could use some guidance on Ketchikan and especially Juneau. In Ketchikan since we have just a few hours we plan to just walk around and explore. Within that plan anything that is a "must do"?

In Juneau I thought we would take a bus up to Mendenhall and maybe the tram to Mt. Roberts. We have from 1:00-10:00 p.m. so there is plenty of time-anything else we can do on foot or by using public transit.

We don't mind walking, but my husband is not interested in hiking. We like museums or anything that explains/educates about the history and culture of a place. Wildlife and scenery are a plus.

I am disappointed that what we had planned has fallen through but at least we are still going to be able to go...

Thanks

Kathy

We booked a floatplane tour in Ketchikan with Island Wings just three weeks out from our cruise. So, it is possible you can still book tours outside the cruiseline.

You still have a few weeks to come up with ideas .. borrow Alaska travel books from your library, read trip reports (go to STICKY above, reply #45 has the reports sorted by cruiseline), visit the town visitor information web sites. Get informed about your options.

juneau, you have time for a whale watching tour. Check the independent operators to see if they have space. Some vendors will drop you off at Mendenhall Glacier ... the shuttles end around 6pm so you'd have to call for a taxi to bring you back to the pier. The trail to the overlook is less than 1/2 mi and is wheelchair accessible so not a 'hike'.

Sitka ... Raptor Center, Fortress of the bear, Orthodox Church. Look at the town web site.

Ketchikan .... the visitor booths provide free maps for a walking tour of the town. It's an interesting town with a fun history so a great walk. Visit the Park Service's Discovery Center.

look for a thread I started about a month ago that asks if this cruise would be good even though I was not planning to do many excursions. the answer was yes! there were some ideas, if you can't find it let me know...

I'm puzzled why you aren't transferring your touring plans to this earlier trip? You certainly have more than enough time. I'm just starting my plans for 3 weeks mainland Alaska, and have only about 1/4 of my stuff booked. Be certain- my trip will come together perfectly.

But what you state you are doing isn't any big deal to do, so at this point you don't have to do anything further, if you don't wish to.

I do suggest you might want to head to your library as already suggested and find out the details of the historic features in the ports and include them if of interest. If you continue with your "wing it" idea without, having some background, you are going to waste some valuable time.

'

I'm puzzled why you aren't transferring your touring plans to this earlier trip? You certainly have more than enough time. I'm just starting my plans for 3 weeks mainland Alaska, and have only about 1/4 of my stuff booked. Be certain- my trip will come together perfectly.

But what you state you are doing isn't any big deal to do, so at this point you don't have to do anything further, if you don't wish to.

I do suggest you might want to head to your library as already suggested and find out the details of the historic features in the ports and include them if of interest. If you continue with your "wing it" idea without, having some background, you are going to waste some valuable time.

'

We aren't transferring for financial reasons. I didn't want to lose our trip completely but we have been forced to scale back on what I originally booked. I have researched, ordered guides, gone through AAA, in short done my homework. I guess I was looking for some ideas to confirm or supplement what I have read.

look for a thread I started about a month ago that asks if this cruise would be good even though I was not planning to do many excursions. the answer was yes! there were some ideas, if you can't find it let me know...

Thank you so much. I will do a search and follow-up. I appreciate the tip.

If you're into the history of a place, my husband and I spent an enjoyable few hours at the Alaska Capitol Building last year. We did the self-guided tour (there's a brochure) and were fascinated. We are big history nerds and probably could have stayed there all day.