Sunbeds - How Bad

Hi,

IOTS 26TH July 2014

I've read several mentions on the sunbed situation.

Could some previous cruisers, honestly tell me how bad it is ?

If I want 3 beds together, not too far away from a pool what time do I need to be going for them ?

Thanks

On sea days: Our experience is that they loungers in close proximity to the pools are always full with butts in chairs sometimes between 9:00-9:30 on sea days. Before that time - many people try to save with towels, books, etc, but those can be dealt with if they remain unoccupied for 30 minutes.

On port days: We always get off at port, but I hear that the pool deck is MUCH less crowded while parked at port - for obvious reasons.

Unless you catch someone packing up and leaving, the odds of you getting a lounger immediately by the pool are very slim if you start your search anytime after about 9:00am.

Now.. there are PLENTY of available loungers on the upper deck above the pools. If you are looking to catch some sunshine - it's pretty much wide open up there, and lots of space is usually to be found.

Now.. there are PLENTY of available loungers on the upper deck above the pools. If you are looking to catch some sunshine - it's pretty much wide open up there, and lots of space is usually to be found.

You never know what you'll see from those decks. On our recent Grandeur cruise, I opted for a lounger on a top deck foward, as we were cruising in the vicinity of VA and experienced a low fly by from an F18 jet. It swooped around the bow and disappeared quickly into the clouds. Very cool. :cool:

It really depends on the crowds, part of the world where the ship is, size of the ship and the season...

you can't generalize it...

Is this true?

Unless you are talking about an Alaskan Cruise, or a Cruise out of Baltimore in March, are there actually ships and locations where the weather is warm, and the pool seats are NOT crowded on sea days?

I've never seen uncrowded pool decks on a sea day....Plan to get your loungers before 9am, IF you need to be next to the pool. If you can go up a deck, there are more loungers, with lots more space around them. Right next to the pool, the loungers are "sardined" so close together, that you almost have to crawl into them from the foot of the sunbed.

If you wait until later in the afternoon, many folks will have left, and loungers will be emptying.

• 2 years later...

Just got off the Navigator on my first Royal Caribbean Cruise (been on about 20 cruises with other companies) and couldn't believe how bad the subbed situation was. Could never get a sunbed on deck ever when the ship was at sea. There were towels on all the beds before 8:0am and the staff would do nothing about them being unoccupied for over 30 minutes (Celebrity always moved towels etc if the bed was empty for more than 30 mins). So many people complained at Guest Services that it was ridiculous.But nothing happened.

Very disappointed with RCI that I would never cruise with them again, there were so many things that were just not up to scratch, sunbeds being just one. I think they have probably just reduced staffing levels to such an extent that service in all departments is poor. The staff that are there try their best but there is too much for them to do.

Is this true?

Unless you are talking about an Alaskan Cruise, or a Cruise out of Baltimore in March, are there actually ships and locations where the weather is warm, and the pool seats are NOT crowded on sea days?

Yes! Never had a problem on longer cruises. Cruised for 10 days on the Serenade in April of this year. Plenty of loungers - solarium was crowded but regular pool was very easy to find chairs. Also never had a problem on Allure or Oasis other than around the kiddie pool area. Other pools always have had seats available. Sometimes have found it necessary to move a chair but still available. Upper sun deck always seems to be available.