New owners and activities at Tobacco Bay Beach

sebas030

Another article in the Bermuda Sun:

http://bermudasun.bm/Content/Default/Homepage-Article-Rotator/Article/Tobacco-Bay-beach-bar-aims-for-island-feel/-3/1288/78277

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the new activities like flyboarding and jet skiing are gong to have a negative impact on what many people come to Tobacco Bay to do...snorkeling.

Edited by njhorseman

I can't honestly say I'm delighted. Kudos to the new owners for their commitment to cleanliness and a few other things BUT........Tobacco Bay is a very small beach that just cannot accommodate large numbers of people.

I'm sure the new toys will be an attraction but good luck finding a spot on the beach. Too bad everything (snack bar, restrooms, etc.) was removed at St. Catherine's beach since it is so much bigger and would have been a good fit for all the added things.

I always felt that TB was a great place for snorkeling but not for just a "day at the beach" due to the small size of the beach itself. OK, I'm being a little selfish here but when there are lots of people, the water gets churned up making it difficult to see the fish.

I only went to have a look at Tobacco Beach but I didn't went in the water there.

I agree with you both. I am all for the entrepreneurship in Bermuda, but I think I will not create better snorkeling condition there...which is the selling point of that beach...

Maybe WEDCO will put even more emphasis on their beaches to keep the cruisers in the west-end. They are already upgrading Black Bay beach.

Let's not forget the 55 million dollars investment from 9Beaches for activities and all.... I guess in the next couple of years we could see more of "resort" type activities on the island.

I only went to have a look at Tobacco Beach but I didn't went in the water there.

I agree with you both. I am all for the entrepreneurship in Bermuda, but I think I will not create better snorkeling condition there...which is the selling point of that beach...

Maybe WEDCO will put even more emphasis on their beaches to keep the cruisers in the west-end. They are already upgrading Black Bay beach.

Let's not forget the 55 million dollars investment from 9Beaches for activities and all.... I guess in the next couple of years we could see more of "resort" type activities on the island.

I'll believe the 9 Beaches 55 million investment when I see it. They've been touting similar redevelopment plans for several years and every year all we see is "we'll be open next year". At least it hasn't been going on as long as redevelopment plans for the old Club Med...that's been "in the works" for a couple of decades...even longer...I think the place closed in 1988.

Edited by njhorseman

I haven't read the article about Michael Douglas but isn't he beginning renovation on an old resort also ?

New money to the Island is always welcome ! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I haven't read the article about Michael Douglas but isn't he beginning renovation on an old resort also ?

New money to the Island is always welcome ! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Here's a recent article:

http://www.bermudasun.bm/Content/NEWS/News/Article/Movie-star-Douglas-enthused-about-Ariel-Sands-progress-/24/270/78199

This place has been closed since 2007 and previous announced attempts to renovate the property fell through...a familiar scenario, so it's tough to get excited about something until it's actually accomplished. Even one of Douglas' family members says "if and when it happens".

Edited by njhorseman

My heart grew heavy when I read this. Tobacco Bay holds a special place in my heart because of the spectacular sea life and ease of off the beach snorkeling. I was looking forward to bringing my daughters to this serene little slice of paradise, but alas, my conscience will not allow me to do that. I have no interest in loud, obnoxious music along with loud, obnoxious beach toys. The new beach toys will destroy the underwater world as I knew it.

Please don't flame me, I really am not interested in hearing about the pursuit of capitalism, etc. and how everyone has to make a living; what about the repercussions all of these things will have on the already struggling coral reefs, fish, balance, etc.

My heart grew heavy when I read this. Tobacco Bay holds a special place in my heart because of the spectacular sea life and ease of off the beach snorkeling. I was looking forward to bringing my daughters to this serene little slice of paradise, but alas, my conscience will not allow me to do that. I have no interest in loud, obnoxious music along with loud, obnoxious beach toys. The new beach toys will destroy the underwater world as I knew it.

Please don't flame me, I really am not interested in hearing about the pursuit of capitalism, etc. and how everyone has to make a living; what about the repercussions all of these things will have on the already struggling coral reefs, fish, balance, etc.

You are right...I am surprised that Bermuda allowed this to exist at Tobacco Bay. Just a few weeks ago there was a "collision" between a jet ski and a turtle ( not a TBB ) but guess you won ?...yeah the jet ski and the turtle died and there was a discussion about banning those kind of attractions to preserve the wildlife....

And they allow major changes at TBB ? no logic...

Those flying , water propulsion things must disturb ( destroy ) everything on the bottom on the sea...

You are right...I am surprised that Bermuda allowed this to exist at Tobacco Bay. Just a few weeks ago there was a "collision" between a jet ski and a turtle ( not a TBB ) but guess you won ?...yeah the jet ski and the turtle died and there was a discussion about banning those kind of attractions to preserve the wildlife....

And they allow major changes at TBB ? no logic...

Those flying , water propulsion things must disturb ( destroy ) everything on the bottom on the sea...

Yes, and scare all the fish away for starters. :mad:

My first trip to Bermuda was in the early 70's when I fell deeply in love. I introduced my husband to the island, he was also bitten and we've been there umpteen times. I avoided telling him about the "new improvements" at TB until just now. That was one of his favorite places, mine as well, and he has many fish stories to tell. After see the gorgeous parrot fish, everytime he tells someone, the fish gets bigger.....at last telling, it was up to 100 lbs.:D:D

We would snorkel for a few hours, dry off then it was off to Berry Road. We would head over to Fort St. Catherine, wander around the old interesting cemetary, pause now and then just to take in the beautiful vistas. Next stop would be the glass beach by Alexandra's Battery, then off to Gate's Fort to reminisece about what it was like sailing throught the Town Cut, and finally continue on to St. George having made a complete circle. Husband is not a shopper but he did enjoy browsing all the shops, many of which are no longer there, and we always managed to leave a fair amount of money in them.:D

I digress.:);) Anyway, we have just made the decision not to go to Bermuda this year and will be going somewhere else.

Iheartbda...you're voluntarily not going to Bermuda this year ??:confused: :eek:

You sure you couldn't go for my sake? I can't, :( for reasons you're aware of, and I would feel better if I knew a friend was going...I want to make sure everything is left in good order for my next trip.

Tobacco Bay was mobbed a few weeks back and lots of beach "toys" present. It definitely did not appear the way it has been presented on here as a somewhat quiet snorkeling cove. Seemed more of a party atmosphere. We kept moving down the road and did not stop there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

Iheartbda...you're voluntarily not going to Bermuda this year ??:confused: :eek:

Sad to say but, yes.

You sure you couldn't go for my sake? I can't, :( for reasons you're aware of, and I would feel better if I knew a friend was going...I want to make sure everything is left in good order for my next trip.

You would owe me BIG time if I went.:p:D Don't worry, I have another friend going and she'll keep an eye on it for both of us.

Tobacco Bay was mobbed a few weeks back and lots of beach "toys" present. It definitely did not appear the way it has been presented on here as a somewhat quiet snorkeling cove. Seemed more of a party atmosphere. We kept moving down the road and did not stop there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

If you mean before the beach toys, yes it WAS a quiet snorkeling cove.

A friend of mine went to Tobacco Bay two weeks ago and were not impressed and posted so on Facebook. The new owner reached out to them and said they were still in soft launch mode and give them another try in July.

I have snorkled at TB and can't see where they would do the jetskis or the flyboarding. Those items would ruin what people go there for.

Sad to say but, yes.

You would owe me BIG time if I went.:p:D Don't worry, I have another friend going and she'll keep an eye on it for both of us.

If you mean before the beach toys, yes it WAS a quiet snorkeling cove.

So where is the second best place to snorkel from the beach in Bermuda. Unless reports change, I doubt we'll even bother to go to Tobacco Bay now. We will be chartering a boat to snorkel but was looking forward to show all our new cruisers/new to Bermuda friends Tobacco Bay - now they ruined it. Or are we better off just sticking to our chartered Snorkel/Sail Boat cruise.

Have any of you used Sail Bermuda - "Shekynah" (CPT Caleb Zuill) or Bermuda Wind Sail Charters "Spirit of the Wind" (CPTs Mike & Melissa)? I think I have it narrowed down to these two but can't decide. Colette - if you haven't used but know about - please email me. :) We really need to get together. If anyone has a different recommendation, I am open to suggestions.

Peg, I really like Church Bay for snorkeling, however, it can be rough at times. It's right off a bus stop, has never been crowded when we were there even though it's a small beach. A glorified porta-potty is near, a fellow had gear to rent and some snacks and drinks.

http://www.bermuda4u.com/sights/church-bay/

http://www.bermuda4u.com/videos/church-bay/

Here's another possibility.

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_0001d7.htm

I don't see how Tobacco Bay can continue to be a go-to beach for snorkeling enthusiasts. It's my favorite snorkeling spot, the only spot I go to for snorkeling when I'm in Bermuda. It's perfect for beginner snorkelers and people not keen on the open water trips. In my opinion, it will be ruined by these new water activities.

To be honest, without Tobacco Bay as a place to go, I can't see myself taking the trip over to St. Georges either.