Quebec to Montreal Questions

We will be travelling to Montreal from Quebec City and are considering a rental car as the train times do not work and my husband hates buses.

Is there a location to rent a car within walking distance (with luggage) from the port?

Also in Montreal we are only going to be there from Midday one day to the next.

Any recommendations in that short time of what to see and where is the most central location/hotel to stay in?

Thanks

There's a Hertz office (Cote du Palais) fairly near the port - actually right up the hill from the train station (which is Gare du Palais :)). The hill is what would make me hesitate to walk it with luggage, but actually quite easy to drop off luggage at the port, return the car and then walk back. Google maps puts the distance at 1.1 km, or about 2/3 of a mile. A hill at the beginning, but then a quite pleasant walk down an antique shop-lined street.

We will be travelling to Montreal from Quebec City and are considering a rental car as the train times do not work and my husband hates buses.

Is there a location to rent a car within walking distance (with luggage) from the port?

Any recommendations in that short time of what to see and where is the most central location/hotel to stay in?

Thanks

Thank you for posting this. We, too, have decided the train schedule doesn't work for us and had decided to take the bus to Montreal. Thanks to you, I am now looking into renting a car instead.

You know, last time we cruised, we flew to Rome from YUL so we could get Premium Economy on BA. Couldn't decide how to get there - drive and park is expensive, train times didn't work for us, hate the bus. Finally had the eureka moment and checked into renting a car. Easiest thing ever! Ended up being cheaper than the train or bus.

One thing I would recommend is becoming a Gold member with Hertz (they used to charge for this, but I think they've stopped that). Means your rental agreement & keys waiting for you at the counter, very fast.

Thanks

Hi,

What are your main interest ?

What dates are you looking for ?

Talk to you later !

Hi,

What are your main interest ?

What dates are you looking for ?

Talk to you later !

We are interested in wandering the streets and getting a feel for the ambiance of the town. So knowing interesting buildings/streets/neighborhoods to walk through would be good. Also if there are any gardens or similar. Then any area that would be good to find a café for a light lunch.

With this in mind where is the best area of town to stay in?

Merci beaucoup!

We are interested in wandering the streets and getting a feel for the ambiance of the town. So knowing interesting buildings/streets/neighborhoods to walk through would be good. Also if there are any gardens or similar. Then any area that would be good to find a café for a light lunch.

Merci beaucoup!

Forgot to add we will be in Montreal 08/30-8/31

Merci beaucoup!

Forgot to add we will be in Montreal 08/30-8/31

Hi,

To get a feel of the town and wandering the streets you would have the 2 main parts of the town : Old Port/Old Montreal and Downtown.

Old Port/Old Montreal is obviously on the waterfront. The streets are paved with old stones and you will find about 15 restaurant worth the experience and a good dozen of hotels, boutique hotels and a good choice of bars and pubs. To walk the Old Port/Old Montreal area you would need about 2 or 3 hours excluding the time you could spend in a museum or in the numerous art boutique. There is the wonderful Notre-Dame Basilica also to explore.

Downtown is a very active part of Montreal. So many restaurants, so many bars, clubs, etc... You will be there on a week-end, so you will not see it's business side but it's touristic side. Plenty of shops of all kind. There is a very large underground system in the Downtown area that even most residents don't understand how vast it is and how many things are actually connected together.

Do a Google search for "montreal underground map" and you will see it all. ( it's very good if you are stuck in a rainy day ;) )

I found this page earlier and it is a very good starting point :

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/montreal/maps#sthash.YLWoq73z.2XM27eH9.dpbs

On the day 1 plan to visit Montreal I would skip : #3 Olive and Gourmando, not that it's not good, but you will come across so many restaurants

On the day 2 plan, #1 is the Olympic stadium..have a look at it from the outside..do not waist precious time visiting it.

#2 is the Botanical Garden ( http://espacepourlavie.ca/en/botanical-garden )

Again skip #7 Fonduemental ...find a restaurant that calls your name !

You will be in Montreal during a holiday week-end ( labour day ) and we have many many tourist coming in Mtl that week-end. So if you plan on doing activities, you might want to book them in advance.

If you have any questions....feel free to ask !

Have fun !