Embarkation in Whittier and Dinner

1153rsmith

We will be coming into Whittier on the Princess train to board the Island Princess. Since the ship does not leave until 8:30pm and since we are not scheduled to arrive until around 5:30pm, how does dinner work the first night?

If we have the 5:15 or 5:45 seating, we will not likely even be on the ship at that point. Do they push all the seatings later or do you have to hit the buffet if you miss your seating?

When we did the b2b last month, Whittier was open seating - however - there was a rush to the MDR when the pre-cruisers arrived, so plan accordingly. For us b2bers who had table assignments, we actually got to sit at our assigned table.

I was on a b2b on the Coral (sister ship). Dinner was open seating. But I did hear that service was suspended early for the muster drill. I do not recall when they opened the dining rooms again. I am sure they accounted for the muster drill and stopped diners from coming in too close to the scheduled time. I had dinner at 5:30 and was through before muster (which I did not have to attend since I was doing a b2b....oh the pleasures of doing such a cruise).

I was wondering about dinner. We are on the Aug 9th sailing and as you said the train arrives at 8:30. How do they handle the Lifeboat drill ?

Our schedule for September 3rd shows the ship departing at 8:30 so I think our train arrives at 5-5:30. The lifeboat drill has to be after everyone is on, but before it sails. Or at least that is how it has been on every other ship I have sailed on. If it sails at 8:30, I would assume the lifeboat drill would be around 8:10.

I was on a b2b on the Coral (sister ship). Dinner was open seating. But I did hear that service was suspended early for the muster drill. I do not recall when they opened the dining rooms again. I am sure they accounted for the muster drill and stopped diners from coming in too close to the scheduled time. I had dinner at 5:30 and was through before muster (which I did not have to attend since I was doing a b2b....oh the pleasures of doing such a cruise).

Yes! We too are B2B on the Coral in Aug! Love it.

Our schedule for September 3rd shows the ship departing at 8:30 so I think our train arrives at 5-5:30. The lifeboat drill has to be after everyone is on, but before it sails. Or at least that is how it has been on every other ship I have sailed on. If it sails at 8:30, I would assume the lifeboat drill would be around 8:10.

Just off the Island on Wednesday. Embarkation in Whittier goes all afternoon and early evening. I would expect the latest train/bus transfers arriving no later than 7:00 pm (from personal experience). It is correct that both MDR's were 'open' seating from 5:15-10:00 pm. Lunch was served from 12:00-1:00 in the Anytime MDR. Specialty restaurants were open 8:30-11:00. MUSTER was held at 7:45. All public areas are closed during muster to allow for staff to man their stations. A "later embarking passengers drill" was held at 8:20 in the Wheelhouse bar. Once I get home from our extended traveling, I will be able to scan the Patters.