Fuel Surcharges

cjp25428

Just wondering, while reviewing over "The Cruise Contract", I see it mentions a fuel surcharge "may" be charge if the NYMEX Oil goes over $70 a barrel, Carnival can charge each passenger, a fuel surcharge in the amount of $9 per day per passenger... Oil price right now is over $100, so just curious does anyone know if we are going to get hit with an extra $72 per person in fuel surcharges (ex. 8 day cruise) ?

They CAN, but after the uproar when they added a fuel supplement a few years back, they probably won't. At least not without some warning.

The PR nightmare was enough to make them back off fairly quickly.

Thanks for responding... I wasn't aware of the past PR problems with the fuel surcharges, I was a little shocked to see the verbage in the "Cruise Contract", after already agreeing and paying for the fares. I was thinking well here goes another $276 for my family of 3.

Hopefully they'll continue and not charge it, but with the uproar in Iraq and fuel prices rising, I was worried especially when oil per barrel is already $30.00over the amount they state in their contract.

They CAN, but after the uproar when they added a fuel supplement a few years back, they probably won't. At least not without some warning.

The PR nightmare was enough to make them back off fairly quickly.

We had a cruise booked when that happened and they did back off really quickly. It was enacted after we booked (wasn't in our cruise contract) and we received OBC as a result. I would also guess that they won't do it again as a separate charge without some warning.

But with the deterioration of the world right now, you can probably look to see either higher rates or the fuel surcharge reborn.

Most cruise lines began futures buying when the last crisis hit, that has stabilized their pricing for now.

But with events in the Middle East and failure to allow expansion of drilling in and around the US, expect to pay alot more at the pump and your next cruise.