walking on ship: how much less stable?

auntjoy036

I don't mean to be asking the world's stupidest question. I know the ship moves, making it less stable than land, and that how much it moves depends on how rough the seas are and where we are traveling.

My question for those of you who have or travel with someone who has compromised mobility and balance is do you need a higher level of assistance on ship than on land? For instance, you can walk with a walker on land but need a wheelchair at sea. Or you use, but rarely actually lean or balance on, a walker on land but find yourself depending on it more at sea. Similarly do you wear more secure shoes on board in situations when you might have worn dressier shoes on land?

I am trying to anticipate my Mother's needs. She broke her hip (actually the neighbor's dog broke her hip, but that's a different story) a few years ago. Fixing the injury required a partial hip replacement. Mom healed very well. She walks on flat land without a walker. She needs a railing or someone's assistance to step up a step. Though Mom walks without a walker, her balance is a little unsteady. I'm trying to figure whether the ship's motion makes enough of a difference that we should bring her walker. I thought maybe others with some mobility or balance issues could tell me whether they feel those issues are magnified when the ship is at sea.

Thanks.

Vicki

Hi Vicki !

Much depends on how rough or calm the sea conditions are and no one on this forum can predict the conditions for your cruise.

I am prepared for all situations for example...

• Were flat shoes with slip resistant soles . Did away with wearing fancy shoes years ago due to MS
  • Bring my cane and rollator
  • Though own a mobility scooter I rent one instead. Do not need because of balance issues but rather so that I can enjoy touring around the ports as my legs fatigue easily.

Definitely make certain to bring her walker as better to be safe than sorry. Also make certain that she has a least one good pair of comfortable shoes.

Pat

I use two walking sticks, but providing we are not in rough seas, I'm fine. There are generally handrails around for people to hold on to. As already mentioned, I would also consider taking a wheelchair for both ship and ports of call. If she doesn't need it, well and good, but at least you have it with you.

I'm with Fat Paul and London Tower. I walk with elbow crutches and if the sea gets a little lively, having four legs instead of two seems a bit more stable!

However, by the tiime it gets to Force 8, I move into the wheelchair for safety's sake. Once I was following my wife down a corridor and the ship rolled; she turned around to find that I'd disappeared, having been steered into the elevator lobby at speed.

It all depends on the individual. I've been doing it for 10 years+ so instictively cope with most things. If your mother can walk unaided but appreciates some support she might be okay around most of the ship. All the corrdors have handrails, as do the elevators. I'd play safe and take aids including a wheelchair but suck it and see once on board.

She walks on flat land without a walker. She needs a railing or someone's assistance to step up a step. Though Mom walks without a walker, her balance is a little unsteady. I'm trying to figure whether the ship's motion makes enough of a difference that we should bring her walker. I thought maybe others with some mobility or balance issues could tell me whether they feel those issues are magnified when the ship is at sea.

DH has CP leading to unsteady balance. While he does rather well with the ship's motion, other passengers are a much bigger problem. While he can handle the regular ship's motion he will fall much more easily if people stop right in front of him or push through behind him if he is standing somewhere. If your mom has already broken her hip once, you might want to consider bringing a walker if just to make other passengers aware of mom's limitations. Though of course other passengers might come to your (elderly?) mom's aid if she actually falls instead of thinking she is drunk if she falls because of being shoved and laugh at her...

I agree to Chunky2219, it will depend on your mom. DH needs the hand rails in the corridors in heavy seas and I make him use the elevator instead of taking the stairs but he does not usually need (or consider using) aids (yet). However, he is used to long walks and longish hikes including walking up/down hill and on rough terrain. He also has 30+ years of experience in falling ;) and so far thankfully hasn't broken a bone (except for a stress fracture).

Thank you all for sharing your experience and giving such good advice. Mom and I have discussed your responses. We plan to take her walker for some extra security while walking on board. We'll assess her stamina closer to cruise time and decide about a wheelchair.

It's great to have a forum where one can ask questions of this nature. Thanks again for your help.

Vicki

My wife (aka The Boss) uses a cane to walk on level dry land. Because of her stability issues she uses as scooter on the ship, and off. If we can drive to the port we take her scooter, if we fly we rent a scooter. Remember, especially if you bring/rent a scooter or wheelchair to get an accessible cabin.