Finding spots on board NCL Pearl to write

ken02802

Are there places in the common areas on the Pearl where I can work on writing my book?

Normally, I work at the desk in my cabin or hotel room. But, we'll be staying in an Inside Cabin on this cruise. That means I won't be able to get 3G even when in port due to all the metal surrounding me. With no balcony, I'll miss the scenery if I'm in my room too much. Worse, I'm concerned with getting seasick if I'm staring at a computer screen in a room with no windows.

To write a chapter, I start by dictating into my Netbook (really tiny laptop), using Dragon speech-to-text then I back it up using a cloud storage system. I'm thinking I could dictate when at sea and then upload when in port.

The problem will be: where!

I'm thinking of:

1. The Great Outdoors, when it's open

2. The Promenade Deck or pool area when it's not too windy for my microphone

3. The card room, if the other occupants don't mind my talking to the computer.

Does that sound like a plan that might work?

Anyone other suggestions?

And, please don't suggest that I not work while cruising! This is what I do! I work best while traveling in new places and I enjoy it. If the Inside Cabin on this cruise doesn't work out, I'll have to spring for the cost of a balcony next time, but that means I won't be able to cruise as often.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Absolutely ... I think all of those would be great areas to dictate/write :)

And if no one else is in there ... the Library may also have a desk that you can work on in quiet.

Or even La Cucina ... since it's closed during the day and used for surplus Garden Cafe seating ... great views, quiet, no wind ... and close to the food/drinks :p

My DH had to bring his laptop on some of our cruises ... and there was always somewhere he could find to work ... although I had wished he couldn't ;)

My first thought would be the library also. We passed it many a times and it wasn't really crowded. Only thing is it's near the door to go out to the swimming pool deck, the walls are glass and lots of people pass by it.

Another option might be the Chapel (and you don't need to worry about anyone seeing you talking to yourself because they'll just figure you're talking to you know who;)). I never saw anyone in the library or cardroom early in the day while on the Gem and expect it would be no different on the Pearl, so a lot might depend on when your muse is working- early in the morning you'll have plenty of options, later in the day will be more limited.

...To write a chapter, I start by dictating into my Netbook (really tiny laptop), using Dragon speech-to-text then I back it up using a cloud storage system. I'm thinking I could dictate when at sea and then upload when in port.

I am confused. Since you only have to upload to the cloud from time to time, it should not matter if you are located in an inside cabin, etc. How often do you have to upload?

And, I assume you have figured out the cost of uploading, etc. I notice you have an ipad... does the netbook work better than the ipad for this?

I wouldn't rule out using the atrium area in the mornings (deck 7). As long as there arn't any presentations or other events going on, lots of chairs and tables there. Also may be able to get a seat up at Blue Lagoon on deck 8 during the day. I would also consider the window nooks on Deck 7 going forward toward Teppenaki.

I wouldn't rule out using the atrium area in the mornings (deck 7). As long as there arn't any presentations or other events going on, lots of chairs and tables there. Also may be able to get a seat up at Blue Lagoon on deck 8 during the day. I would also consider the window nooks on Deck 7 going forward toward Teppenaki.

So, if they see someone sitting their talking to nobody, might the schedule an intervention?

LOL

Having just cruised on the Pearl last month, and being big readers, we found several good nooks & crannies to sit quietly. I would recommend against the library if anyone else is using it (and every time we passed or entered the library - at least a couple of times a day - all seats were filled) - libraries at sea or on land are traditionally quiet zones so talking at length for whatever purpose makes you, well, let's go with 'less-than-considerate' in case children or people of delicate sensibilities are reading;-)

The card room might work, as people do tend to talk while gaming, but again if it's starting to fill up then one person taking a table for a non-gaming purpose that could seat four fellow pax for a game = less-than-considerate!

I'd suggest instead that Maltings would fit your needs. It's almost unused until c.5pm, you can see windows if you choose your seat sensibly (you can even sit on the cushioned window sills alongside Beer/Martini/Champagne bars), and there are TVs usually tuned to sport channels at low volume. Between this and the main walking route for the floor going right past you, nobody should have an expectation of it being a silent spot but until the bar fills up it actually is nice & quiet.

The card room is a good location for you early in the day. However, as a card player, I would suggest when it gets busy that you move to one of the other locations. Not all of the tables and chairs on the ship are conducive to playing cards. We have tried playing cards during off hours at the buffet, but the staff asked us to move, although there were more than a dozen tables available right around us.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! It's amazing how much great information is out there among CC members.

La Cucina

That sounds like an excellent location, if they'll let me sit there.

the library or cardroom early in the day

That sounds like another good option.

Thanks. On the Deck Plan it looks like the Atrium is near the Shore Excursions Desk. That should be noisy enough that my talking to my computer shouldn't bother anyone.

I am confused. Since you only have to upload to the cloud from time to time, it should not matter if you are located in an inside cabin, etc. How often do you have to upload?

And, I assume you have figured out the cost of uploading, etc. I notice you have an ipad... does the netbook work better than the ipad for this?

In Alaska, I should be able to get avoid all data roaming costs by only using the Internet while in a U.S. port. Using the ship's WiFi to access the Internet would become very expensive, very quickly.

To upload, using the port's cell towers, I have to be on decks 12 or 13 or be very close to a large window. The ship's interior walls will completely block cell tower signals.

I haven't found a good way to dictate into the iPad. It's a little under-powered for this application. I think I will leave it home on this trip!

Thanks for the feedback.

There is a little nook area in The Great Outdoors that is kind of secluded but still in the middle of everything. It is right in front of La Cucina I believe.

That sounds like an excellent option. Thanks!

So, if they see someone sitting their talking to nobody, might the schedule an intervention?

LOL

With all the people talking on their cell phones these days, I assuming that they won't even notice someone talking when there's no one there. :D

Having just cruised on the Pearl last month, and being big readers, we found several good nooks & crannies to sit quietly. I would recommend against the library if anyone else is using it (and every time we passed or entered the library - at least a couple of times a day - all seats were filled) - libraries at sea or on land are traditionally quiet zones so talking at length for whatever purpose makes you, well, let's go with 'less-than-considerate' in case children or people of delicate sensibilities are reading;-)

The card room might work, as people do tend to talk while gaming, but again if it's starting to fill up then one person taking a table for a non-gaming purpose that could seat four fellow pax for a game = less-than-considerate!

I'd suggest instead that Maltings would fit your needs. It's almost unused until c.5pm, you can see windows if you choose your seat sensibly (you can even sit on the cushioned window sills alongside Beer/Martini/Champagne bars), and there are TVs usually tuned to sport channels at low volume. Between this and the main walking route for the floor going right past you, nobody should have an expectation of it being a silent spot but until the bar fills up it actually is nice & quiet.

Yes, I was planning to avoid the library. I remember all the "shhhh" in libraries when I was growing up. :D

I had not thought of the Maltings. If there's a TV going and a lots of people walking by, my single voice would get lost in the shuffle and my microphone should be able to discriminate my voice from the background noise. If most cruise folk follow the "after 5: rule, it shouldn't be too noisy until late afternoon or evening.

Thanks for the advice!;)

We have tried playing cards during off hours at the buffet, but the staff asked us to move, although there were more than a dozen tables available right around us.

That was my biggest concern, that the staff would wouldn't want me around while they're cleaning up.

Together with all the other suggestions, it sounds like I'll be able to find a place somewhere on ship up until supper time. In the evening, my wife and I were planning to take the early show at Stardust Theater and then go to bed early.

Perfect! Thanks everyone!

With all the people talking on their cell phones these days, I assuming that they won't even notice someone talking when there's no one there. :D

All you need is a bluetooth headset and you'll blend right in.

All you need is a bluetooth headset and you'll blend right in.

That's what I'm hoping. ;)

I place often empty is the Bridge Viewing Room, you might want to check that out. It is on deck 11, port side forward.

Are there seats in that room? I can't tell from the Deck Plans.

BTW, I just sent my latest book off to my publisher today. Yah! :cool: I'll be starting a new book next week. Sorry, CC has strict rules against advertising so I can't tell you the name of the book or my pen name. :(

You might also try the Promenade, which is outside on deck 6, I think. People walk by but don't tend to congregate. If you stay out of the wind you should not have trouble with your mic... and if someone gets close enough to bother you can move along.

I read all the posts, and am surprised no one mentioned Spinnaker Lounge. It's at the top front of the ship, floor-to-ceiling windows to see out, and has a bar where you can order a drink.

Though I've been on the Pearl twice, the most recent was almost 5 years ago, so hope it is still open and available during the day.

On my first cruise on the Sun, I wrote daily in their Observation Lounge which is in the equivalent position as the Spinnaker on the Pearl, and loved it there.

Have a fabulous cruise, and enjoy Alaska!