Elderly Mom on the Dream

Godiva5

I need some advise. Our family will be setting sail on the Dream on Dec. 1st. which is Mom's 82nd birthday. We have an aft stateroom on deck 9 and now, I'm starting to get concerned about a lot of walking for Mom. Thank God, Mom is in good health and, doesn't use a wheel chair, cane or walker but, she's not up for a lot of continuous walking either.

This is our first Disney cruise therefore, we've never been to Castaway Cay. What is it like to access the island. Is there a long walk to get to the trams? What about getting off the ship in Nassau?

I want to make our family trip as easy going as possible for Mom. Thanks in advance for your feedback and suggestions.

There is a lot of walking on the Dream and to get on and off the ship and to get to a shady spot on CC.

I would suggest that you either build in a lot of extra time to get from your cabin to shows, meals, etc., or perhaps rent a folding wheelchair that you can use for the reeeeallllly long walks. It won't work in the sand at CC, but it would work from cabin to tram, and then fold and take with you.

To put it in perspective, on the Dream, just doing routine activities, I cover between 2 to 3 miles a day just moving around the ship (meals, shows, etc). Of course, you could minimize that.

Walk to the tram stop on CC was about 5 to 10 mins depending on pace if I recall.

Nassau, a lot depends on which pier you dock at.

There is a tram to both the family and the adult beach. There are sand wheelchairs available at Castaway, but at age 50 something, I found it impossible to push. A standard wheelchair would work on the paths.

Yes, there is a lot of walking around the ship. DCL (Guest Services) has a few wheelchairs available for guests on a first come, first served basis. The medical center also has some that are saved for accidents/injuries. Either allow time to get around or plan on a chair. Sounds like there is nothing you need to be in a hurry about, so walking might work.

I would get her a cabin closer to the elevators. Also, you can rent a wheelchair from Special Needs at Sea. My parents did it on another line and the Chair was delivered to their cabin and picked up from their cabin. My mom is in her late 70s and prefers to have a chair just in case. We used it a bit on our last cruise for getting around the ports.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Brevard Medical also rents mobility aids with delivery and pick up to the cruise terminal.

OP doesn't say how close the cabin is or is not in regard to the elevator. As noted, if walking is an issue, close to an elevator is a good thing. On the other hand, if mom decides to use a wheelchair or scooter on board, distance to the elevator is less of a big deal.

If you decide to do a rental, you might consider whether your mother would want to be pushed around or would value the independence of a scooter. It is really a personal thing; some people find the scooter a little overwhelming while others appreciate that they can get out and about on their own.

On the other hand, you are on a very short cruise. You might just opt to get one from GS. Another thought--you can sometimes purchase a wheelchair a very low cost at Goodwill and similar outlets. While they are readily available at airports, etc. you may find it more convenient to have one of your own and just bring it.

Edited by moki'smommy

82!! What a blessing to still have your mom. I lost my mom 2 yrs ago, but a yr before she passed, we took her on a cruise. It was hard because mom had Alzheimer's, but she loved it and we enjoyed every second.

We bought a traveling wheelchair that it's easy to fold up and put away. My husband pushed her around the ship. Very hard to do this on the carpet. Since some people are so uncaring, it was very hard to get on the elevator. People would even get ahead of us, but we couldn't get mom to stand up so we had to deal with it.

Since your mom can walk, get the wheelchair and take it with you just in case she needs it. Enjoy your travels and cherish the wonderful memory this trip will create for your family.

DH has mobility issues but does not require a wheelchair. We usually book an accessible cabin, but most of them are aft. We found that he likes a midship which we now book 11Cs on the Dream and Fantasy.

When you get to CC, before you go thru security, you can ask for a golf cart assist to get to the beach. We had a multi-passenger golf cart take us all the way to the Pelican Plunge tram shop. From there we took the tram to Serenity Beach. On the way back, we got a tram from the Pelican Plunge tram stop to take us all the way back to the ship.

You just have to ask for help. DH just sits on the loungers at the beach while I go in the water.

There definitely is a fair amount of walking I would suggest staying mid ship if its at all possible then you can easily take the elevator and will be pretty close to most areas on the ship :)

I would suggest NOT getting off the ship in Nassau! Its a lot of walking and IMO Nassau is a dump... Stay on the ship and head to the adults only pool or grab lunch in Royal Palace :D (Nassau has turned into my Spa day whenever I sail here now! Generally they offer specials and its not very busy in the Rainforest room!

82!! What a blessing to still have your mom. I lost my mom 2 yrs ago, but a yr before she passed, we took her on a cruise. It was hard because mom had Alzheimer's, but she loved it and we enjoyed every second.

We bought a traveling wheelchair that it's easy to fold up and put away. My husband pushed her around the ship. Very hard to do this on the carpet. Since some people are so uncaring, it was very hard to get on the elevator. People would even get ahead of us, but we couldn't get mom to stand up so we had to deal with it.

Since your mom can walk, get the wheelchair and take it with you just in case she needs it. Enjoy your travels and cherish the wonderful memory this trip will create for your family.

Thanks everyone for the invaluable information you've shared. I think the moderation route will do for Mom. We'll allow for additional "transit" time to get from point A to point B. Maybe find a spot to sit a few minutes en-route before continuing. I'm also thinking, room service will be a Godsend for breakfast and/or in between meals.

I'm certainly not opposed to making a special request food run for Mom if, it's not on the room service menu. ;) I've read somewhere on the forum that, we're close to the Aft elevators so, that should definitely help. Any more suggestions....keep them coming!

There definitely is a fair amount of walking I would suggest staying mid ship if its at all possible then you can easily take the elevator and will be pretty close to most areas on the ship :)

I would suggest NOT getting off the ship in Nassau! Its a lot of walking and IMO Nassau is a dump... Stay on the ship and head to the adults only pool or grab lunch in Royal Palace :D (Nassau has turned into my Spa day whenever I sail here now! Generally they offer specials and its not very busy in the Rainforest room!

Mom's been to Nassau YEARS ago and, her comments are in line with yours. She'll probably forgo that adventure and stay onboard and hit the spa or take a nap. My goal is to be as accommodating as possible without making her feel like she's slowing anybody down or, dragging her to an activity she's just not interested in (Nassau)!!!

Mom's been to Nassau YEARS ago and, her comments are in line with yours. She'll probably forgo that adventure and stay onboard and hit the spa or take a nap. My goal is to be as accommodating as possible without making her feel like she's slowing anybody down or, dragging her to an activity she's just not interested in (Nassau)!!!

Buy her a Day pass for the Rainforest room the Nassau day :) It'll be around 20$ and WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

idk if your familiar with it but it has these amazing hot stone chairs, two hot tubs overlooking the ocean, 3 sauna's and several aroma therapy showers :D